“Excellent....coool....hip”

Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #27 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My job put me up at this hotel for 1 night. I was very impressed. Nice modern, hip boutique hotel. Free garage parking for guests...located underneath hotel. There is a shuttle to/from downtown, but from what I heard from my coworkers...wasn't very reliable. I had a car rental, but several bus lines stopped at or near the hotel...easily takes you to/from downtown. UW is around the corner, so lots to see & do in the area. The hotel itself is in a residential area, it was very quiet.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Tampatony78
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Thank you for you review and I'm happy you found Watertown to be a good match for your business trip. We aim to impress all of our guests and we are happy offer our free underground parking. Our shuttle runs on reservations and I recommend booking as early as possible. However, as you said, Watertown and downtown Seattle are very easily connected via public transportation as well. Thanks again for your comments and we hope we can impress you upon your return to Seattle!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Perfect location and proximity for visiting u of w. Room was clean and bathroom spacious. Bed comfort was adequate, nice linens. Good view of city life. Simple urban decor. Gated underground parking. A little pricey, but would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Thanks very much for reviewing Watertown Hotel. You provided a nice quick list of compliments about Watertown! I am very happy to hear you found our location convenient to University of Washington. It is only a short walk to the center of campus! We pride ourselves on our committment to cleanliness and I'm happy to hear you appreciated that. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you on your next visit to UW!

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Overall, I would say that we definitely enjoyed our stay at the Watertown and would not only stay here again in the future, but would recommend it to others. This is due strictly to the comfort of the room, the convenience of the shuttle service that is offered and the ample, COMPLIMENTARY, secure parking.

First and foremost, the location of this hotel is just perfect. It is not downtown (so less traffic, lower cost) but the complimentary shuttle service takes you to several places where you can easily explore or continue via other means of transportation. We drove to Seattle, but used the shuttle service to get around for most of our visit. The shuttle has several convenient drop-off and pick-up locations, but for our stay, we only took the shuttle to Pacific Place downtown. From there, you can easily walk or catch the buses underground (for free during certain times of the year in the downtown area) to other destinations such as Pike Place Market and even Safeco Field & Century Link. One drawback to using the shuttle was having to try to plan ahead for appropriate pick-up times. We did not have a cell phone and were not able to call the hotel to make or cancel reservations so we pretty much had to decide at the beginning of the day what time we wanted to return to the hotel. This was a minor drawback, but it can limit your flexibility. (By the way, for first time visitors, when you are told that the shuttle picks you up in the "North Lobby" this means the area on the side of the building just outside the Pineapple Cafe on the first floor. The "shuttle" is a light brown-color multi-passenger van that clearly says "Watertown Hotel" and "University Inn.")

We felt very safe using the underground parking in the hotel. Room key access is needed to enter the parkade, and it is well-lit. And while there are only two floors of parking, there was always ample space to park our CRV -- even when we returned to the hotel well after midnight! My favorite part was that since it was underground, your car was never hot from sitting in the sun all day!

The rooms are very modern in style and the sheets clean, but still "soft." Normally, I won't walk anywhere in a hotel without my travel slippers but the carpet in the room was clean and soft. Towels were also clean and while I wouldn't describe them as "plush" I would say they were thick and comfortable to use. One thing we could not find in the room which we read about on the website were the robes. Not sure if I would have used them, but I didn't see any in the room anyway.

Other amenities like the WiFi, in-room safe worked well. No concerns about these. It was very convenient that there was a computer with a printer in the lobby so you could print things like the online passes we purchased for the Boeing tour. We had read reviews about the theme carts, but we were always exhausted by the time we returned to the hotel that we never got to use them. The giant closet that also functions as a divider between the bedroom and the bathroom was very modern and I liked how you could open it from either side. It would have been helpful to have a light in it to see when you were going through your suitcase.

There were a few other minor details that didn't detract from our stay there, but were things that would have made things a bit more convenient. A small garbage bin is placed in with the toilet and shower, but would make more sense to keep out under the bathroom sink. There are no ice dispensers/machines even though there are signs for them on each floor. Instead, there are small freezers with medium ziploc bags filled with ice cubes that have frozen into one big solid mass. They are located only on certain floors so you might have to visit multiple floors if, like us, there is no freezer on your floor and the next floor's freezer is empty.

With all of the things I LOVED about this hotel, there is one thing that prevented me from giving it an excellent rating. In my opinion, the service of the front desk staff is efficient but not hospitable. Upon arrival and departure, I felt we were treated as "a duty" that needed to be attended to, but without any real care or concern about the patrons staying at the hotel. Smiles and small pleasantries (Good morning! or Welcome to the Watertown Hotel) were given by only a few of the staff (Ni, Antonio, Adam) and I felt that you could only expect the bare minimum in terms of responses. For example, after our first day in Seattle, my husband and I were enjoying ourselves so much that we wanted to extend our stay. When I inquired as to whether or not that would be possible, the staff member I talked to at the front desk (Alexandra) checked in her computer and responded, "No, your room is not available." I was taken aback as that was the only response I received. It has been my experience in traveling elsewhere that if a guest appears to be enjoying their stay and wants to extend their visit, the hotel staff typically say something like "I'm sorry, it appears that we are fully committed due to (in this case) Seafare. However, we have several sister hotels you might want to check with....." Etc. At the very least they pretend to feel badly for not being able to help you enjoy your visit longer. When I then inquired as to whether there were other rooms that might be available if we had to move, again, the only response I received was "No." Fortunately, Antonio had been helping another guest at the same time and I overheard him suggesting to her that while it didn't appear that they had availability for a particular time that she was interested in, she should check online as there were rooms that were sometimes held for online reservations. I am not sure if Alexandra was aware of this, or simply couldn't be bothered to tell me, but I rushed upstairs to my room to log onto the Watertown's website. Luckily for me, there was "1 room left" in the executive king category which is what we were staying in. When I called down to the front desk, I was told I would have to make the booking online and I would likely have to change rooms on the last day of my stay. The "funny" thing is that on the day that Alexandra had told me there were no rooms available, I checked on the website again and not only were there openings, but the last executive king room that I had eagerly rushed to book had now turned into "only 2 rooms left." Furthermore, it turned out that on the day we were supposed to change rooms, I fortunately had the foresight to call down to the front desk before we packed everything up and were told we could keep our room and they had cancelled the online reservation I made and extended the original reservation we had. Another time while I was waiting in the lobby a passerby came in to inquire about hotel availability for multiple rooms for a date later in August. Like me, she was simply told "There is nothing available." I ended up running after her outside to tell her to check online.

Aside from my disappointment in the service you receive at the front desk, I did enjoy my visit thoroughly and am already looking forward to another visit to Seattle where I will stay at the Watertown Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank InfrequentTravels

Thank you for your thorough review of your experiences at Watertown Hotel. While I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay I apologize for not providing you with consistent high level customer service as is our standard. Needless to say it's not acceptable to make reservations difficult for guests already enjoying their stays. This presents a good training opportunity for me as I'm responsible for service we are offering and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. Other aspects of your stay seems to have worked quite well from our free secured parking to our free shuttle downtown. Next time you plan a trip to Seattle please contact me directly at agebran@watertownseattle.com and I would be happy to make arrangments for you. Thank you again for your comments!

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Rates were good, clean room with lots of windows and natural light, room was smaller than the usual but not too small for the two of us. Staff was very friendly and very helpful with any request or inquiry. Lots of nice big fluffy pillows and the beds were very comfortable

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Puddin09

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay at Watertown Hotel. I'm delighted to hear you found our staff very friendly and helpful! We designed our guest rooms with large windows to maximize natural light. We have larger rooms called Studio Suites that may accommodate larger groups if you should return with more than two adults in the future. Thanks again for your time!

Reviewed 9 August 2012

A great place to stay in all respects. We had two rooms for four nights in the end of July when most other hotels were booked with outgoing cruise participants. We lucked out in finding this hotel. Not only was it less expensive than most of the other similarly rated hotels, the rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel is close to the interstate - about 20 minutes from the airport - and the free underground parking was a plus. It is a few blocks from the University of Washington but also affords easy access to the city center. We also spent time in the more northern neighborhoods and the hotel was a great jumping off point for that. Keurig coffee in the room was a nice feature as was the free coffee and pineapple cupcakes in the lobby. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay at a very competitive price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! I'm happy to read that Watertown Hotel was a match for your needs! We love to offer lower rates than our similarly rated competitors (especially downtown). We are always happy to offer our underground parking garage FREE! I'm glad you enjoyed the FREE Keurig coffee in the room and our signature Pineapple Hospitality lobby cupcakes every afternoon. Thank you again for your comments and we hope we can fulfill all your wishes on your next visit!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed here for four nights and would definitely recommend this hotel. It seems to be cheaper, cleaner, and newer than other hotels in the area. Our room (#409) was pretty small, but had large, bright windows and a great full-length mirror in the bathroom. The double-paned windows help keep it quiet.

We liked the location (despite the grungy University Ave) because we weren't very interested in spending time downtown doing touristy things. A few highlights:
-FREE UNDERGROUND PARKING
-walking distance to lots of restaurants (especially good area for vegans; Pizzeria Pi is to die for)
-short drive to Magnusen Park where you can picnic or swim in Lake Washington
-walking distance from Agua Verde Paddle Club where you can rent kayaks and/or drink margaritas on the waterfront
-walking distance to a great used bookstore: Half-Price Books

My only complaint is that the bed linens were too loose since they still aren't using a fitted sheet. I wish they had told us about the laundry facilities--we would have used them!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. I apologize for not telling you about our free guest laundry on every floor. I love your bullet point highlist list! Pizza Pi, Aqua Verde, and Magnusen Park, and Half Price Books are some of my favorite spots close by and are not usual visitor destinations so well done! Thank you again for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to take care of you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Every single front desk person was welcoming, friendly, and knowledgeable. Free shuttle service is a plus, as is the large, plush towels. The room was very spacious. My only complaint is that not all the wastebaskets were emptied nor was the tile floor cleaned even after a request was made on the second day (we had dropped crumbs so it wasn't really an issue but.....)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

I want to thank you for your review in regards to your recent stay at Watertown Hotel. I apologize for having forgotten to empty all your wastebaskets and not cleaning your tile floor, especially because you specifically requested this. I will bring these issues up with my Executive Housekeeper and he will be dissapointed with the news because we work very hard to maintain a very high level of cleanliness. I am very happy to hear all Front Desk Agents were helpful, friendly, and knowledgable. Thank you again for your comments and I hope we can see you soon in the future!