“Would Stay at the Mediterranean Inn again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mediterranean Inn

Mediterranean Inn
Ranked #34 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Providence, Rhode Island
“Would Stay at the Mediterranean Inn again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I picked a time of year to visit Seattle when the hotel rates were higher than what I normally pay. I'm more of an off-season traveler. I ended up deciding on the Mediterranean based on reviews and location. I booked using my AAA membership and saved a little.
I opted for a 1-bedroom room facing the street. It was whatever the second room rate up is. I didn't want to chance a really tiny room with no view at all.
I also did like the fact that there was a rooftop deck. I was hoping to maybe catch some views of the city from there. I was not disappointed. The kitchenette in the room was also a plus. But the complimentary bottled water they left had a funny taste.
What I did like the most was the location! It was super-easy to get to and from the hotel by bus and there were many good restaurant choices nearby. I would recommend this place for that reason alone.
It was not hot while I was there, so cracking the window open was enough to get some nice air moving in the room. I will say they do probably have the slowest elevator known to mankind. No reason to rush on vacation, so not a deciding factor. Just annoyingly slow.
All employees I came into contact were friendly and helpful. And check in and out were quick as can be.
Definitely a place I'd consider staying again.

additional comment - plenty of outlets in room to charge laptop, phone, cameras, etc. at night. Some hotels always seem to lack this.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Hebrew first
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I unfortunately got stuck with a single-bed room with no air conditioning. We had to leave the windows open which also meant a lot of local noises to sleep to. The room was clean, but not a good room for a hot summer night, especially if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, be sure to request a room with air conditioning should you be there in...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

The Mediterranean Inn was a good hotel. I enjoyed my stay in Seattle. This hotel was standard; it was clean and quiet; it had all the basic amenities included along with complimentary popcorn! It has an adjoining Starbucks and is very near to some great local restaurants.

1 Thank mewall21
Krum, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I didn't have high hopes for this hotel simply because I saw it as older and I was just needing a room as my beloved Hampton Inn was booked. I was pleasantly surprised not only by the hotel itself but the staff. I booked a double bed room as it was just myself this trip. The room was nothing fancy but did provide a refrig (which was great for the drinks I bought across the street at Safeway!!) and a microwave. Being from Texas I was confused when the air didn't kick on but quickly figured out to open the window! lol Appears that the air is on a master control (?) but the room was a great temperature. The ceiling fan made the room remind me of staying at a relative's house simply because it's the same fan my parents have in the guest bedroom. It really was a simple room with no fancy bedding but very comfortable and I slept pretty well both nights. The hotel was relatively quiet but you could hear talking sometimes at night with the window open.

In the area there are LOTS of restaurants in very close walking distance and as I mentioned a grocery store if you want to pick something up. I was never in fear for my safety which was very important to me. The rooftop view which every guest was told about was nice but not a reason to stay here. There is a Starbucks attacked to the hotel on the main floor.

Downsides: Parking was $15 a night and internet was an extra $5 a night. I personally think free wi-fi should just be a given in this day and age. The other downside was the light into my room. I mentioned no air was on (I stayed in mid-July) which was fine except I needed my window open along with others... The window opened into some type of courtyard so I could hear others next to and across from me. There was also some type of what looked like a hothouse (garden) that was enclosed in the middle that constantly had florescent lights glowing. SO, with the window open and the light glowing it was a little disturbing to me. I got up the second night and shut the window and the blind to have some dark to sleep.

Really, with all that said, I would consider staying here again especially for a couple of nights or prior to a cruise. I would just make sure to not have a room toward the courtyard.

Room Tip: Choose a room not in the courtyard...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brinkygirl
orcas island, wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

I’ve stayed (alone or with my wife) in this inn around 20 times in the last 7 years. It always feels like home here, with the (small) fridge, sink, coffee maker, comfortable, very quiet rooms (generally) and great location and neighborhood. For me, the location is ideal, on Queen Anne Hill, away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Seattle but close enough to downtown Seattle (about 1.5 miles) to walk there if you choose to. The inn has 4 very nice restaurants w/i 1/2 block away (Japanese, Thai, Indian and French country). Also, a well stocked Safeway market is 1/2 block away, for any necessities that you may have forgotten. A morning hike up Queen Anne Hill gives you a good cardio workout and leads to stunning views on West Highland Drive, especially from Kerry Park. The hotel has a roof top deck which also provides stunning views and a nice place to sit and catch the breeze and views. Finally, the access to I-5 is fairly easy and short. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: always try for a courtyard side room, which is quieter than the street sides, especially in summer...
MT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed 1 night, fortunately AFTER the heat wave: apparently only the premium rooms have A/C. Mine had a ceiling fan and the windows open, so with a high for the day only around 70 F, I was very comfortable. The front desk was being manned by a single, over-taxed employee when I arrived, but he was very friendly and got me checked in smoothly. The decor of the room was a bit dated but the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet: I am a light sleeper, but I slept through the night without waking even once. Free bottled water and microwave popcorn were a nice addition to the usual in-room coffee. Internet is an extra $5/night, but they have 3-4 computers in their business center (free, including printing) if you don't need to have it all night in your room. The hotel is a very short walk to Seattle Center (closest to the Key arena), which also makes getting downtown (on the monorail) very easy. The view from the rooftop deck was great and many of my fellow guests were relaxing up there with bottles of wine. (it can be confusing to get to the roof, though, as only one of the 2 elevators and 1 of the 2 stairwells goes all the way up) Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

After they missed cleaning my room 7/6/13, called front desk at 2 pm for a room cleaning and a fix of the dead fridge. Came back at 5 to find none of it had been done. Called the front desk and the cleaning staff had left.

Air conditioner was anemic, leaving the room too warm and stuffy.

Reasonably clean, but small. This is a motel; the Comfort Inn by another name. No breakfast. Tiny gym. There's nothing wrong with a Comfort Inn. Let's just call it what it is.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo