“Way overpriced!”

Mediterranean Inn
Ranked #29 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly, but they seemed to speak off of a template. It felt robotic. The room was clean, but pretty small. Due to no air conditioning (unreal that a hotel charging $300 a night has no a/c in some rooms!!!) we had the window open, so of course at 5:30 am the garbage trucks woke us up. Then a couple hours later, our room was filled with pot smoke from hoodlums outside getting baked on a Sunday morning near the trash bins.

It blew my mind that I paid $300 for a room and did not get a/c. It was hot as balls and their way of making things right was telling me that they would have all rooms air conditioned by next summer. Wow! That makes me feel so much better!

Also, they charge $5 for a crappy wi-fi connection. It was brutal. They at least refunded me the $5. They charge $18 for parking, but the underground lot is cramped and I suffered gross claustrophobia. I think I have PTSD from it. The parking stalls were tiny!

It's not a bad place, but I will not stay there again.

1  Thank Tony S
Mediterranean-Sea206, Front Office Manager at Mediterranean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Tony S,

First off, thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you had such a negative experience with us. I hope to address the concerns you had, but I would love to hear from you personally as well. I can be reached at kelsey@mediterranean-inn.com.

Because of the other buildings that connect to that alley, there are some circumstances beyond our control. The staff is here 24/7 though, and is always available to investigate any complaints of smoking - whether inside or outside the building (as rare as those are).

I am sorry if it seemed as though informing you of our plans to add A/C was going to make up for the stay you did have with us. We are very excited to be changing over the rest of our rooms, and would hope you'd want to come back to see us when that project is complete. Because we have the extra current challenge of limited rooms with A/C, we focus our efforts toward providing a great personalized experience for each of our guests. Hearing that the staff seemed robotic is quite unusual for us, so I will be sharing your comments with the rest of the staff to ensure that this is not a continued occurrence.

I wish we had the chance to troubleshoot the Internet connection for your device better, but in general we believe that our cost of $4.99/night is quite fair. Our Internet access is a 100Mg, fiber optic connection that is far superior to most "free" offers out there. Our staff is trained to assist our guests with any concerns, but it does happen that certain devices bring in issues beyond our control, and we are always willing to refund in those cases. As for our parking garage - we have one of the only hotel parking options in the area that is both secured, and accessible directly to guest rooms. Quite a few of the spots are for compact cars, and we do fill up on busy weekends, but we don't find it to be any smaller than other city garages.

I hope you'll reconsider returning to us at a future time. Thank you again.

Kindly,
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,601)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We arrived at 345pm check in time was 4. Our room was not ready and we had to wait to so they could make sure it had been cleaned. The hotel lobby was nice and air conditioned. However no rooms were they said some rooms have air conditioning but all guests I spoke to did not have it. It was 98 outside and our room was too hot to even get ready for the baseball game we had come to Seattle for. But upon returning to the hotel the fan they had provided did nothing and the room was litterlly to hot to sleep in. I do not reccomemed this hotel in the summer Im sure it would be OK(just OK) if it wasnt hot outside.

2  Thank hollyinvancouver
Mediterranean-Sea206, Front Office Manager at Mediterranean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a comfortable time with us. We had one day this year so far where the temperature was grossly out of proportion for Seattle. We know that when those rare 90+ days hit, we are more challenged to help our guests stay comfortable. We are working to change this however. Currently only about 15% of our rooms have A/C. The rest will begin to be converted starting next month. We all wish it could have come sooner, but we are excited about the change. We hope you'll consider returning to us when that addition is completed.

As for the check-in time - we guarantee it at 4pm to ensure that our Housekeeping staff has enough time to turn the rooms after our check-out time of noon. It is often that we have rooms ready sooner and we are always willing and able to check people in early in those cases. I hope that you and your party was not too hindered by any delay.

Thank you again for the feedback, and I hope that you enjoyed the baseball game.

Kindly,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay and the location was wonderful! Recently priced in comparison to other hotels in Seattle. The lobby, staff, mint water, Starbucks at the main entrances are all major pluses!
Walking distance to the attractions made it easy to enjoy all the touristy fun!
The only downside are the beds are very small. We prefer a king or even a queen bed, the double is tough with two adults! Overall we were pleased with our stay!
Check out the rooftop for the view with a coffee or wine! Very nice and we wish we had checked it our earlier in our stay to enjoy it!

Room Tip: The street side of the hotel is noisy. There are courtyard rooms that are quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Karina,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you found the bed type too small for you. We do have options of both Queens or Kings for our guests. It's possible that when you booked, only a Full was available, or that you used a site that doesn't guarantee room type. If ever you want to be sure, feel free to give us a call directly. We are happy to answer any questions, especially to help our guests avoid any surprises before arriving.

Thanks again and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and it was perfect. Location was great - loved the Queen Anne neighbourhood and it was only a 20 min (ish) walk to downtown. The desk staff were great - very friendly with great recommendations for things to do and great places to eat. Close hike to Kerry Park for best view of the city (but be prepared for a biiiiiig hill). Super close to Space Needle, EMP museum and monorail to downtown (if you're not up for the walk). Room was clean and very comfortable. Starbucks downstairs was handy too (although you won't have trouble finding coffee on any corner in Seattle). Would definitely stay again! Only concern was value - was pretty pricey, but actually lower range of most hotels available in Seattle at the time (mid July was about $180/night).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Mediterranean-Sea206, Front Office Manager at Mediterranean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, prices are definitely high throughout the city during the summer season. We always aim to be at an affordable spot in the market, but "affordable" definitely means something far different in January than it does in August. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us though! The location is great, and as you mentioned for those that don't want to walk everywhere, easily accessible by public transportation.

We hope to have you back with us soon! Give us a call next time as well - we can always match or beat any prices online.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed for a week in late April while visiting Seattle and deciding whether we wanted to move across country. It was a great location. A short walk from the space needle and many awesome restaurants in Queen Anne. It was right next door to a Safeway for groceries and SIFF cinema which is a neat little independent cinema. It is also walking distance to places like west lake (15-20 min), bell town (10-15 min) and if you do not mind a nice brisk walk to pike place is manageable. The price was perfect, and the staff was wonderful.The roof deck view and Starbucks being connected to the lobby were additional perks. Do not have a single complaint and would definitely recommend this place to someone visiting Seattle. The staff was extremely welcoming and always smiling and seemed to genuinely care about the guests. In the end it was an extremely comfortable stay that helped us decide Seattle was the right spot for us!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us this past April. The neighborhood is just fantastic for restaurants, grocery stores, and being in close proximity to many main attractions of Seattle. Please come visit us again soon!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I think they say they are the hotel for the budget-minded, yet they charge for Internet access. Maybe that is because they have a Starbucks near the lobby and they don't want folks mooching off of a free WiFi all day, who knows. They did have free water (plain and cucumber-lemon) in the lobby. The front desk staff was very nice and I liked their name tags, which have a little "fact" under their names (i.e., "Robert" the guy with chickens). There is no AC in the rooms so in August, that makes for a noisy night with the windows open on street side. I'm not sure if courtyard rooms would be better as there probably wouldn't be much of a breeze and you'd get an echo up the walls from other rooms. Anyway, there was a nice window seat in our room and I could see my friend's apartment building from it. Location was great!

Which is why their parking policy kinda sucked. Lady Gaga happened to be in town one of the nights we were. According to their event parking, it is first-come, first-served, meaning we could not take the car anywhere after 3 pm the night of the concert in case we came back and the hotel was sold out of spaces by patrons who were going to Key Arena. At first I thought they sold parking to the outside but I think it was just hotel patrons who happened to drive in. In any case, even with an "oversell" warning, we did not want to risk losing our space in the garage and thus, could not venture out to see another friend during our stay. That was very disappointing. Their policy should be first-come, first served based on who checked in first. After all, they take down the car info for what purpose if not to track who is staying at the hotel? Plus, the garage ceilings were LOOOOOOW.

We might stay here again (location was key) but maybe not if we have a car and there is an event going on.

Room Tip: Try for atrium/center room. You hear a lot of foot and street traffic otherwise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are definitely in a great location, especially ideal for Key Arena events, and so I'm glad you enjoyed that for the Lady Gaga concert.

Our parking policy is first-come, first-served as you mentioned. Though we take down guest information, we do not assign specific spaces and having staff to only monitor the parking garage is not feasible for us at this time. On Key Arena concert nights, with so many folks driving from nearby, it does mean that the demand is higher. We never would prevent anyone from coming or going from the garage, but we do remind everyone at check-in that we will most likely sell out of parking, and recommend that they consider leaving their car and walking/busing/grabbing a taxi to other locations so that no issues occur.

Regarding the A/C, I'm sorry if you were disturbed at all by any noise. We do have quite a few rooms that face our interior courtyard, providing a quiet option away from the streets. We are, however, also planning to begin a project this fall to convert the rest of our rooms to also have A/C! We are looking forward to the added comfort this will bring to our guests in any season.

Thank you again for your patronage and feedback. We hope you'll visit us again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The Mediterranean is in a great location. My husband and I walked everywhere we wanted in downtown Seattle straight from the hotel and stayed 4 nights. If you don't like walking, you can always take the monorail but the weather was amazing so... we walked. Hotel staff was super friendly, especially the nice young lady from Lawrenceville, GA. I think her name was Marianna? Rooftop patio was great and I even enjoyed a little solo yoga up there one morning. The room was comfortable, nice bed and great shower. Thought the window seat was a bit odd but having our own fridge and microwave was nice. Overall, I'd definitely recommend to my fellow travelers as a great option in Seattle at the right price.

Also, if you like Indian food, the Roti a couple doors down is excellent.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Elizabeth Z

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your feedback! I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay! Walking around everywhere as you did is definitely feasible for those that don't mind taking their time. And if not, as you mentioned, the Seattle Monorail is nearby and we're also on a major bus line - both of which will take one into the heart of downtown.

We hope to have you back with us soon!