“Lovely hotel but desperately needs air conditioning”
Review of Mediterranean Inn

Mediterranean Inn
Ranked #31 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Western Canada
“Lovely hotel but desperately needs air conditioning”
Reviewed 1 August 2009

We knew when we booked through expedia that most rooms in the hotel do not have A/C, but we didn't think this would be an issue in rainy Seattle. Well we were lucky enough to have extremely hot weather, making everywhere in this hotel with the exception of the lobby (which is air conditioned) completely and unbearably hot.

The hotel itself was lovely and staff went above and beyond - even apologizing for the weather which I found hilarious.

Location is not an issue thanks to Seattle's fantastic transit system.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We booked this hotel through Expedia after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor.

The location is a five minute walk from Seattle Centre where the monorail begins its trip to the city centre.

The rooms were spacious and meticulously clean, the staff were very helpful. This hotel is value for money.

There are numerous bars and restaurants that would suit most people in the immediate area, so finding somewhere to eat or drink was not difficult.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I stayed here on a recommendation from Alpine Ascents Int'l. They were very accommodating for my stay before and after my climb of Mt Rainier. The staff was so nice, I thought it was strange they were that nice and helpful (I live in the D.C. area- you don't get helpful service like that here). The rooftop deck had great views of the space needle and puget sound. I thought the location was great - good neighborhood restaurants and cafes, as well as a couple of grocery stores. The area was much more relaxed than staying in the downtown area.
My room did have A/C or at least a vent fan with a cooling setting, but I didn't need it becuase just opening the windows and getting a nice breeze from the sound was enough. The room was very quiet also - I wasn't bothered by the TV in the next room or hearing doors slam at all hours. I really enjoyed my stay. Very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank AKskater
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I selected Mediterranean Inn based on Alpine Ascents International, the guide service I was using to climb Mount Rainier. I needed to stay one night, check out the next day, and then return two days later.

They were familiar with guests hoping to climb Mt. Rainier. I got there a little early and needed an area to repack my climbing gear for the gear review later that afternoon with AAI. They eagerly accomodated my my needs prior to check in. Later at check in they gave me a free upgrade.

Upon my return from the climb I received another free upgrade to a corner room with air conditioning on the top floor (room 615). There was a big screen TV and the view was spectacular. There is a microwave in room which is great for nuking little personal pizzas purchased at nearby grocers. The refrigerator freezer is perfect for holding beer and Hagen Daas Ice cream (but you have to lay the ice cream on its side to fit it in the small freezer partition).

The people there are fantastic. Always smiling and always eager to help.

As mentioned earlier, next door are two grocery stores: Safeway and the awesome Metropolitan Market. One half block up is the Mecca Cafe where you would be remiss if you didn't stop in for the best breakfast in town. There is Starbucks connected to the lobby but I just used the Starbucks coffee packs in the in room coffee maker each morning.

Late in the evening, be sure to take a couple of beers up to the rooftop and enjoy the incredible view after a day of walking the waterfront.

This hotel is everything I look for in an out of town residence. It is clean, friendly, comfortable, and in a terrific part of town.

I'll be back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Lil_Urban_Achiever
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I'd give this hotel 5 stars if only my room would have had air conditioning and a better view. As it was, the ceiling fan and windows certainly helped, but since there were no screens on the windows, that let in the flying critters. My view was of my neighbors, so modesty and and worries of vulnerability, being a solo, youngish, blonde female traveler, made me keep the shades drawn, which meant being in a dark room 1/2 the time and I'm a bit claustrophobic. Otherwise, it was clean, everything was in working order and my bed was super comfy. The staff was wonderful. Oh and also they charge $5 a day if you want to use the internet in your room, so be forewarned. But the location was perfect; close to everything and on the bus line. I can't recommend the buses enough. They're clean, comfy, cheap and run constantly. I had no trouble getting around all parts of Seattle using their buses. And the rooftop deck offers up stunning views. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Stayed last week on a leisure trip. Hotel was nice and clean. Parking garage was confusing. Front Desk said to look for the "key box" to gain access. After circling a few times, we found a flat "slot" on the wall in the alley, not a box at all. Room was clean and comfortable, but head board fell off the wall on the first night after I sat up against it. Was not mounted, was positioned on a 1" wide x 4ft long board, and the board was just screwed in the wall with no anchors. A little unsafe. The views from the roof top were beautiful. Could see the Space Needle from our window. Bathrooms were big and clean, but no ventilation/fan. Hotel is in a great neighborhood, across the street from Safeway. Walking distance to Space Needle. Short drive to Pikes Market & waterfront.

If you enjoy thai food, I highly recommend Phuket located just 1/2 block away. Their chicken in peanut sauce was the best I've ever had.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, MN
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Stayed prior to Alaska cruise and would definitely stay here again. Comfortable, clean room and quiet when we were there. Very nice staff and they let us check-in on arrival at 2:00 PM.

Roof top terrace is not fancy, but superb view of Sound, Space Needle and downtown skyline.

Only three blocks over to waterfront and then couple blocks down to SAM's Olympic Sculpture Garden and then a few more blocks down to the Aquarium and Pike Place. Space Needle also only a short walk away.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple