“All I can say is HUH?”

Mediterranean Inn
Ranked #31 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 September 2007

All I can say about the rave reviews here is HUH?

We were in Seattle for a weekend event out by the airport. We stayed the first two nights at the airport Marriott which was excellent. But, for Sunday night, we decided we would try the Mediteranean so as to be downtown in the middle of everything.

Considering the relative locations of the two and the fact that the Mediteranean was at least $40 (not including parking, isn't that nice of them) more a night we may as well have stayed at the Marriott. The room there was definitely a lot nicer as well as being a lot cheaper.

The hotel itself definitely had a certain Hostel/Camp feel to it. The room is small and the bed is low and the tiny TV and stand alone VCR in the room were defintely the cherry on top. The staff is ok but largely ditzy and a little out of it. I kinda felt like I had wandered into a cool kids party back in high school. You know, where everyone is stoned and laughing at some in joke that you aren't a part of.

The best thing to recommend this hotel is the location. It is right in the middle of everything and the neighborhood is very nice and has access to many of the great amenities. What would be really great is if they offered a bike rental serivice as that would get you anywhere in downtown.

The hotel is ok, I would consider it to be a really basic, basic hotel with a good location. But extremely expensive for what you get. Overall it is clean and well maintained. But I just kept getting the feeling that I was paying a heck of a lot of money for a 2 star hotel.

Do make sure you eat dinner at the Flying Fish just a few blocks away.

2  Thank Eric H

Reviewed 28 August 2007

I booked the Mediteraranean Inn hoping for a clean, safe and friendly place to stay, which is exactly what I got. The rooms are large and well-equipped, even having microwaves and fridges, which is always useful. The free internet in the lobby was fab, as was the on-site Starbucks.
As for location, as a young female travelling alone I felt very safe going out at night, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. It's about a 20-minute walk into downtown Seattle but only 5-minutes from the Seattle Centre and Space Needle where there's a metro located for anyone not fancying the stroll.
My only real complaint with the hotel was their refusal to accept my Maestro debit card - i didn't realise that in the US debit cards are accepted in very few places, and that a maestro card is virtually unheard of. Just in-case anyone out there is as oblivious as me...take a credit card or at the very least a visa debit with you before setting foot in the US!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank hols100
Reviewed 25 August 2007

I had a short stay in Seattle in May 2007, and was originally slated to stay at a highly rated B/B, but a series of unfortunate and aggravating events caused my plans to change as the B/B cancelled my reservation out from under me at the last minute. Fortunately, after browsing for several hours, I found the Mediterranean and oh, how GLAD I am that I did. I can't say enough about the service every step of the way, from start to finish. Well kept property for the price, perfect location (close to the Needle, on three bus lines, 24 hour Safeway across the street, the list goes on and on), nice amenities and beautiful sunrise and sunset views from the rooftop deck. Would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank travelwork
Reviewed 16 August 2007

I booked this hotel for a special occassion. I did it on a hotel booking website as a gift to someone. When they arrived they were treated so rudely I couldn't believe it. As a frequent business traveler I have never had such a poor experience. The rudeness went right up the line to the general manager. My travel service had to step in and save the day. They blamed me for everything. I was so dissappointed.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2007

We stayed at the Mediterranean while attending a wedding over a long weekend earlier this month. While it's a bit of a drive from the airport, the location made it convenient to all the areas of Seattle we wanted to see- the Public Market, the docks, the Space Needle, etc. The neighborhood was safe and had a lot of different restaurants/coffee shops available. Our room was average size and the queen bed was fine. We didn't have air conditioning- but with the window open (ours faced an alley) or the fan on, the room was a good temp and we couldn't hear anything from the street. The bathrooms needed an update, but it was nice having a kitchenette w/fridge. Overall, the hotel was clean, and convenient for our needs. The price was reasonable for the quality- and the roof deck made up for anything that might have been lacking.

3  Thank justbeth1
Reviewed 8 August 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in early August. I knew about the AC issue in advance and asked for an additional fan that they provided in the room. Overall, the place was decent, but I probably wouldn’t stay here again, as for $130 bucks a night, even in expensive Seattle, I’m convinced we could do better.

Pros: Large room and bath; fridge and microwave bar kitchen; 3 free internet accessible computers in lobby; Great car service to airport (Mamu’s). Good location.

Con’s: The bed, the bed the bed: It seems for all the cash the hotel may have spent on the kitchenette, they subtracted from the bed. We had a double bed (i.e., the size between queen and twin) for 2 people. It was a tight fit to say the least. This LITTLE TINY Bed in this gigantic room seemed ridiculous; The double bed we did get was HORRIBLE, with a sag in the middle. However much we tried to maintain some time of boundary in the tiny bed, my dude and I literally rolled into one another while trying to claw out of the pit.

I agree with the previous poster that the place should have free wireless internet service. It just seems really cheap these days to not provide it to guests (especially when the whole town is practically wired).

Not a bad place, but you could do better.

Reviewed 7 August 2007

This inn is nothing fancy, but it is clean and met our basic needs for a long weekend in Seattle. I appreciated the 2 bottled waters we found daily in the fridge, microwave popcorn, and Starbucks coffee for the coffee maker -- all free of charge. It was a touch loud outside, but not bad at all. We saved a couple bucks by getting a AAA discount and getting a room with a ceiling fan and oscillating floor fan instead of opting for A/C. It was August and we were completely comfortable (I cannot sleep if I'm hot).
The neighborhood is decent. If you're in a walking mood, walk straight up (literally, straight up) Queen Anne and turn left at Highland for an amazing view! Probably just as good as the Space Needle's, and free. :) We also walked to Pike Place Market -- it's a good 30 minute walk, but it was pleasant enough and we didn't seem to go thru any seedy neighborhoods.
We also took advantage of the car service -- $35 to the airport. It was prob $5 more than taking a cab, but it was nice to have a Town Car there waiting for us, plus the rate was flat, so no worries in case a draw bridge was up.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business