“Quiet Escape into Nature”

Blake Island State Park
Book In Advance
More Info
US$99.46*
and up
Tillicum Excursion
Ranked #114 of 448 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: Reachable only by tour or private boat, Blake Island has 475 acres of land and features views of the Seattle skyline.
Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Quiet Escape into Nature”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This state park is an island accessible only by boat, about 45 minutes from Downtown Seattle (if you take the unadvertised Argosy Cruise boat to the island). You land at the dock right outside Tillicum Village.

I immediately headed straight for the hiking trails, which lead all over the island. Nearly tame deer were munching on the grass, barely giving me the time of day as I walked past. I didn't bother wearing bug spray, and I still was not bothered by insects. After hiking to the opposite side of the island, I settled down on my beach blanket in a grassy knoll and proceeded to read and leisurely munch on the picnic I had packed.

The only distractions were consistently needing to move, as my shady spot kept turning into full sun, and my mom calling me on my cell phone (yes, there is service, at least if you're with AT&T).

Towards the end of the afternoon, I headed back to Tillicum Village and the dock. While waiting for the return boat to arrive, I browsed the gift shop then enjoyed a glass of wine at the snack bar (there was also appetizers and even full meals available) and watched a raccoon works its way through discarded mussel shells out front. (You also have the option of paying to attend the touristy salmon bake and buffet - lunch or dinner - offered at Tillicum Village, once you're on the island.)

All in all, it was a day of quiet and relaxation with only the sounds of the waves against the shore and the conversations of other hikers and campers.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Deborah K

Marysville, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tillicum village”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Had a great time. Beautiful weather, beautiful landscape, great food and show. I recommend this trip.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Shaunie L
Seattle, Washington
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Just a short ride away”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My mom visited Seattle and we decided to take a one of those touristy rides from Tillicum Village. So much fun! There really are no other ways of getting there to Blake Island unless you have your own boat - when we visited it was a sunny day in Summer and so beautiful. This is a definite must-see if you want to experience the water (other would be taking a ferry to Bainbridge Island). It was pricey, so look for travel deals or other coupons.

About Blake Island - it looks like a nice State park and plenty of jogging trails and there are some picnic areas. Really quiet and some nice views.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Al Y
Tacoma, Washington, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“boating”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

when we had our boat back in the 1980's we would stop there some times. I Island is so beautiful in the summer

2 Thank Thelma T
Gig Harbor, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Worse than being in prison!”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I arrived at the docks and was told there was no space, so I waited for dock space to open up. Once I found a space, a ranger approached and politely but sternly told me the rules and warned me of any potential fines or penalties for breaking the rules. At that point, I was extremely happy with my 2-day camping visit.

But from that point on, every time I turned around an intrusive park person was admonishing me and telling me about the rules. It's really a shame, because Blake Island is a pristine and beautiful place with an extraordinarily cool history.

If the powers-that-be can rein in the authority figures at the campground and beat it into their heads that they work in the best interest of the public, then Blake Island has the potential to be a top vacation destination. As for now, I can only recommend it to those who like to be told what to do every couple of minutes.

Visited July 2012