“Nothing special if you have Asian groceries near you”
Review of Uwajimaya

Uwajimaya
Ranked #7 of 192 Shopping in Seattle
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I can understand how tourists who do not have Asian markets in their hometown might be impressed. If on the other hand you have Asian markets near you, SKIP this place. I could find nothing unique here and products were priced at a premium.

There are newer reviews for Uwajimaya

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Uwajimaya, named for a town in Japan, was first began in 1928 when Fujimatsu Moriguchi started selling fishcakes and other items from the back of his truck to Japanese farmers, loggers and fishermen at their work sites. Over time, it has grown into a mixed retail, residential center and has expanded to cover three city blocks. They have opened new stores in Bellevue, Beaverton, Oregon and most recently in Renton.

Uwajimaya Village now includes the Kinokuniya Bookstore, bank, beauty salon, cellular wireless store, cosmetic shop, optician, restaurant and food court. There is also a 176-unit apartment complex above the retail shops.

The grocery store sells mostly imported food from Japan and other Asian countries, but is also stocks Western food as well. I was extremely impressed walking up and down the aisles. They have a better and larger selection of any of the stores I visited in Japan!

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

My sister and I came to Uwajimaya for dinner after shopping in their Asian grocery and book store. We picjed up local gift foe her to bting backto Jax. Almond Roca and a Chinese cookbook. We spent just enough to get free parking. Really not that difficult. $7.50 for 1 hour $15.00 for two. It is worth doing to shop, tour the international district and eat a meal. Check that off her Bucket list. Must see.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I went here expecting to find yummy and hard to find Asian food goodies and I was super happy with what I found. Sure a lot of what I was looking for was the candies and drinks to take with me back home to Arizona but what I found I wish we had more like this store especially at this size back in AZ. I think I spent 1-2hrs in this store and went back several times.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The Seattle Uwajimaya is a great place to get Asian food, books, and other things. They have a great food court with many options for a quick and inexpensive meal. I loved looking at all the fun goods that are hard for me to find at home.