“Fine but not Great”

Ranked #49 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Fine but not Great”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is a standard Marriott. It's kind of a fun location but it's very touristy. For the price, I was expecting a lot more. If you do decide to stay here keep these things in mind: 1) Don't park your car there. It will cost a fortune. There are parking lots nearby that charge half as much. 2) Don't eat at the hotel restaurant. There are many wonderful places to eat in Seattle, this is not one of them. But there are some top-notch places within walking distance. 3) Do yourself a favor and get away from the waterfront for a few hours so you can see what Seattle is really like.

Room Tip: Before you decide to stay here, shop around. You can do better.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank ReviewerD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Korean first
British Columbia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My friend and I spent 4 nights at the Marriott Waterfront last week. The Marriott Waterfront is in a lovely location right on Alaskan Way. Lots of sites to see on the waterfront, so we couldn't have asked for a better location. Pike Place was just a short 5 minute walk away. Our room was okay, but we did expect it to be a bit more luxurious due to the price we were paying $200++/night. Room and bathroom were spotless!! A+ to the housekeeping staff!! Beds were comfortable, but pillows were not. One complaint we had was our toilet. It was an automatic flushing toilet and the sensor was so sensitive, that it would flush any time we walked near the toilet. We asked the front desk to have a look into the problem. They sent their "engineer" up and the only solution they came up with was to leave the lid up and flush manually. We found this quite amusing. The blow dryer in the room is from the 1980's and needs to be upgraded ASAP, we found this totally unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber. The lobby is tastefully decorated and welcoming. Friendly bell & front desk staff!! A+

The Hook and Plow restaurant was okay, nothing incredible. I did find it strange that all the employees were wearing jeans though. Breakfast potatoes were not good....I didn't even eat them as they were so greasy.

Now to the pool......it is absolutely horrible. Everything looks so dirty. The hot tub is small and needs to be replaced (maxium people it can hold is 4). I went into the pool area three days in a row, and the pool was not vacuumed once. Big piles of dirt in corner of pool. There is also lots of black stuff in the pool (I'm guessing mold on the walls). Floor tiles are dirty in the pool area. Basket with towels wasn't emptied for three days. There was some gum on a planter that wasn't removed for three days. I can't say enough how disgusting the pool area is. Definitely not up to Marriott's standards. As far as I am concerned, the pool needs to be shut down and renovated ASAP. I am very surprised that other reviewers have not mentioned the condition of the pool!

Overall, I would stay again and would recommend the Marriott Waterfront to friends & family.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for a quick birthday/valentine overnight treat.

When we got to our room, there was a note for my husband wishing him a happy birthday with chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling H20. I didn't ask for this - but when I called to request an early check-in and confirm the room type, they asked if we were celebrating anything. Nice touch!

We stayed in a waterfront room, high floor, which has a front (vs. side) view out to the water and a balcony. This was great - but if it were cruise ship season, I wouldn't splurge for that as you would likely only see the side of the cruise ship.

Bed was very comfortable, room spacious, with a nice sitting chair and a fairly large balcony. The weather was blustery so we didn't sit out there but it was wonderful to see the ferries come and go. The floor was high enough that you could leave the drapes open and no one from the street level could see you. (this would NOT be the case if the cruise ship were in port and were at floor level).

Property common areas were very clean, polished, and staff was friendly. We also easily got a late checkout.

We will go back and/or recommend the hotel for visitors to Seattle.

Room Tip: High floors, get waterfront vs. waterview for best views. Worth the extra!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skarriemonster
Edmonton
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the Marriott Waterfront this week while attending a conference at the nearby Bell Harbor Conference Center. The location of the hotel is great; very close to the conference center and just a 5-7 minute walk to Pike Place Market, downtown shopping and restaurants, and the monorail.

While the hotel is on the waterfront, which is very nice, my room faced the parkade. Because of the set up of the hotel, I don't think that many rooms have a good view.

In this day of being connected, I was stunned to find out that the rooms did not have WiFi. It is only possible to connect with an ethernet cable. There is free WiFi in the lobby, but it is "spotty."

The room was clean and basic.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DonandLar
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We were staying just one night and then going to be staying 45 minutes north of Seattle the next night. Everyone was super friendly. The room was supposedly an upgrade, while I appreciated the gesture the view was small and I didn't feel I could enjoy it because of the proximity of the rooms perpendicular to ours. Three levels of rooms had balconies that could see into our room and the one on our level was probably less than 6 ft away.

The sheets had a small stain on them, but overall the room was clean. The bathroom was SUPER clean which is very important to me. I didn't like the design of having the towel rack in the shower and the bathroom light was odd - it turned on when you walked into the room ans stayed on for a while. But, no biggie.

The hotel restaurant was expensive given the wait time to get food, refills etc and the attire of the staff. Some staff were wearing jeans others dresses with no nylons etc.

Overall it was a pleasant experience but pricey for what you actually get in the room. I stay at Marriotts whenever I can because of their exemplary service. We were even offered a 30 minute late check out so we could walk to the market for breakfast and not have to rush back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank h2002
Dubai
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Good location to explore Seattle from. But the hotel is in need of a refurb. Rooms were tired, bathrooms basic and hardly any amenities. No wifi in room so beware. Not worth the price

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank ZMR
Irving, Texas
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here for one night while staying in town for the weekend. Pretty good location. Short walk to the Pike's Place Market area. Great sunset views right on the water. I was upgraded to a corner room on fourth floor with an excellent view. Rooms have been nicely renovated.

Only downside is the lack of restaurants/bars close by. They do have the Hook & Plow on site, but it was dead. Ended up going back towards Pike's Place Market and grabbing a quick bite before hitting up Fox Sports Grill for the PPV UFC fight that night. Just be warned if you are walking back late at night, elevator shuts down at 11pm and there are some homeless people milling about.

Room Tip: Get a corner room with water view!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends