“Sadly disappointed”

Seattle Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #48 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 4 August 2014

To be honest, I was sadly disappointed since I really thought the hotel was going to be very nice, especially with my above average experiences with the Marriott brand - More so with this given that the location is excellent, for some reason I thought to myself that they must have invested to make this property extraordinary. The hotel it turned out was dated and needs very significant sprucing up. Everything about it was for me a downer, except of course for the location which is perfect. Forgot to mention that the price is way too expensive, much more expensive than the Grand Hyatt Seattle I transferred from. I paid more for a hotel of lesser quality.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Don L
Matthew G, Manager at Seattle Marriott Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Don L:

Don, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback to us. I am truly sorry your were not able to enjoy your recent stay with us. We take all reviews to heart in the hopes of constantly improving and providing our guests with the best possible experience.

I am happy to let you know we are in the process of some changes to our decor and overall product. In a competitive market we are constantly evolving, changing and improving to better suit our guests needs. I truly hope you give us another chance when your travels bring you to Seattle in the future and I know you will be impressed with the changes we are making throughout the public areas of the hotel and the the rooms themselves.

Again, my apologies on your recent stay, I can only hope you were able to take full advantage of the location and local sites and you do give us another try in the future.

I am always available if you would like to contact me at: 206.256.1028 to discuss specifics and how I can assure you your next stay with us would be unlike the last.

Matthew Garvey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,809)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Waterfront 3 days prior to our Alaskan cruise in July. This is a very active hotel with cruise passengers, and our wait for our room was around an hour, which was about the time that you would normally have check-in. We were very comfortable waiting for our room. They said they would call us when the room was ready, but we actually had to check at the desk to find that our room was, in fact, ready as we did not hear from them in the time frame they mentioned.
We had a beautiful view of Elliott's Bay. The room was comfortable.
We went to the Hook & Plow for dinner, but after waiting over 20 minutes for service (not even water), we left and went across the street to Anthony's, which turned out to be our favorite restaurant and went there four more times.
I must say that personally this was not my favorite Marriott, but it is excellent. That is just my preference. I will definitely stay here, however, on my next visit to Seattle.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Elliott's Bay (a "complete" view)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank awayatsea

Dear awayatsea,

Thank you for taking the time sharing your thoughts with us at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront. I am very happy to hear your enjoyed your time at the hotel "overall."

I deeply apologize that we were not able to accommodate you in our Hook and Plow Restaurant. I assure you I am looking into the situation and seeing as to why there was a lack of service. That is truly unacceptable.

I am glad you found an alternative, that turned out to be your go to restaurant during your stay, in Anthonys. They are a fine partner of ours on the Waterfront. We do hope to see you again here at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront when your travels bring you back to Seattle, WA. and I hope you give us another chance at the Hook and Plow Restaurant. I assure you your experience was an anomaly.

Thank you again and we appreciate your loyalty!

Food and Beverage Operations Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Located just a few blocks from the Space Needle and Pikes Market, right across the street (with nothing in the way!) from the harbor, it is in the ideal location. There is an indoor/outdoor pool. Staff is very friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the building have views of the water.

Adam K,

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Seattle truly is a wonderful city with so much to see and offer. We are lucky here at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront to be right in the heart of it all! We look forward to hosting you again in the near future as there are so many more wonderful sites to be seen!

Hope to see you again soon! Our concierge is always happy to share some amazing day trips with you!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let me say this hotel was very expensive so I had many disappointments based on that. There was no free breakfast or Wi-Fi. Every average price hotel offers that, including most of the Marriott properties. Parking is to be expected in a downtown location but it was very expensive here. Again, disappointing.

We did however pay (disappointing) for the concierge service, which was $20 per day per room and that gave us access to free Wi-Fi and the concierge room. The concierge room was great, they serve breakfast, early evening appetizers, late evening dessert and have water, soda and coffee available all day. That was a good investment, but should have been free considering the cost of the room. Even the concierge room had it's disappointments. The gentleman working the area had a difficult time keeping up with the breakfast crowd and would run out of bowls and said they were in the dishwasher. At times, other staff would come and assist, but he needed assistance during the whole breakfast period.

The rooms are nicely appointed, but small and only a limited number have balconies. We did receive a balcony. The rooms were surprisingly quiet. I was near the elevator, but never heard a sound. The pool and workout areas were very nice.

However due to the expenses and nickeled and dimed feeling I would never stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for waterfront views or a balcony. Sign up for concierge room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GretchenDT
Meng L, Manager at Seattle Marriott Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Dennis and Tammy
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront.
First and foremost, please allow me to apologise for the lapse in service at the Executive Lounge. We are currently addressing the issues of manning the Lounge as well as reviewing our inventory. I assure yoiu that all guest comments are are a top priority and that these issues will be looked into.
Again, my sincere apologies and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Sincerely
Meng Lo
Dir of Hotel Operations

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here awaiting the arrival of our children from an Alaskan cruise. Restaurants, Pike's Market, and shopping are within walking distance. We also walked to the needle and EMP Museum! The rooms are clean and spacious. We had a nice view of the water, but the street traffic below was a bit noisy--then again, we were in the heart of the city, so to be expected. The restaurant in the hotel was not that great. The service was slow and the food average.

Room Tip: The waterfront rooms offer a nice view.
1  Thank goldilox057

Goldilox057,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to apologize for your less than stellar experience in the restaurant. As we are a company that prides ourselves in customer service and quality it is unacceptable that you did not receive proper service in the restaurant no exemplary quality of food.

As you stated, we are in an area of many great attractions and amazing restaurants as well. We strive everyday to provide the highest level of service and quality of food. Rest assured I will be addressing the issue with my restaurant team and we will use this to continually get better.

I would like to personally invite you back to the Hook and Plow Restaurant when your travels bring you back to Seattle knowing your next experience will prove your last experience to be an anomaly.

Please reach out when your travels bring you back to Seattle! We appreciate your loyalty to our brand, hotel and restaurant!

F & B Operations Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was a fabulous location for our family to access the Seattle attractions: Space Needle, breakfast every morning at Pike Place Market, Mariners game at Safeco Field, and aquarium.

With three children, we had made a reservation for a room with two doubles and a roll out bed. However, upon check in we were told that it was against fire code to have a roll away bed at the hotel. We had called to verify the roll away bed 3x, and were assured that our room request was available. This was obviously a problem upon check in, and due to full capacity we were not able to make any changes, so one child slept on comforters on the floor. Had we not needed to be with family that was also in the hotel, we might have changed hotels.

Kids did love the swim in/out pool, but not ideal for children who are not big enough to be in pool that is 4 feet deep at all depths. Better for adults who get to watch kids while relaxing poolside!

All in all, the location was worth it...If you are not the one on the floor!

1  Thank Hester D

Dear Hester D
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on your recent stay here. First and foremost, I have to apologise for the miscomunication on the placement of a roll-away bed in a Doubled Bedded room. I will be taking the opportunity to review this with the departments concerned, and to improve the processes surrounding extra beds in our guests bedrooms.
Again, my apologies and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Sincerely
Meng Lo
Dir of Hotel Operations

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights over 4th of July. We had and waterfront room and the weather was perfect during our stay. The breakfast was awesome. The omelette\waffle\french toast bar was great. I have a Belgian waffle with Pecans and whipped cream. They mush the fresh cream together with the toppings like Cold Stone would do with ice cream.

The hotel has a good location near Pike's place market and the waterfront touristy stuff. The view is great except when there's a giant cruise ship sitting right out front. The elevated rail over to the space needle is within walking distance as well, but is a bit of a hike up the hills.

The only issues I noticed were:

Crowding in the concierge lounge. The lounge is very small and there are entire families in there waiting for their cruise to start. But they did give us breakfast coupons to rectify that.

The electrical outlets downstairs on the work-bench like hightop seating don't work. This was problematic as I had to work a couple of days while I was there and there really isn't anywhere else to go. My wife was working in the room, so that wasn't an option.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple