“Great location, very clean, modern and a helpful staff”

Seattle Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #47 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Pacific Northwest
“Great location, very clean, modern and a helpful staff”
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I stayed when the hotel was 100% full over a Friday and Saturday night. Online I had booked a room that was supposed to be facing the water and it cost more than the "regular" rate. When we arrived at our room it was facing the elevator/stairs that lead to town. I was not happy! I called and let them know I had booked a room facing the water. They aplogized and asked me to come to the desk to update to a new room.

The next room we go to, once again, was NOT facing the water but had a balcony. I was very upset but had to get going to attend the baseball game. I figured I would give up the room with a view and hassle for the regular rate instead at check out.

On a note about complaints about a ship being in the way, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps the cruise ships

We received the bill under the door and not surprisingly, they charged us the higher rate. We went to the desk and barely had to argue our side of the story. She quickly apologized and gave us an OUTSTANDING lower rate. A rate that was no where to be found online. For that, I give them kudos for fixing their mistake.

So if you are booking online and request a room facing the water, be sure to request that upon check in, do not assume you will get it.

Other than that, the lobby was simple, yet beautiful. The lobby music was a trendy/ electronica type music that was played too loud for even my 30 year old ears.

The rooms were remarkably clean and the TV was great. My complaint about the tv channel selection is there is no Weather Channel and no Fox Sports Network. The bathrooms were spacious and the hot water was immediate and lasted. The room itself was a little more plain than I had expected but comfortable. I was able to pick up wifi on my iPod Touch at times and that was convenient.

We only ate one time at the hotel restaurant and that was for breakfast. I ordered the Challah French Toast and it was the best dish I have ever encountered. I'm not usually a consumer of such sweets but was feeling indulgent. It was heaven on a plate!

If you have a car with you, be aware that the overnight parking fee is around $35 but well worth it. The valet folk are super friendly and your vehicle is easily accesible. Very much worth the price.

I loved the location of the hotel. It was right across from the water and close to shopping and eateries. We walked a lot including to Safeco Field, Pikes Market and the Space Needle. If you don't mind the walking, it's a perfect location.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jangaja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Korean first
Sacramento Valley
Reviewed 16 May 2009

March, 2009. I had the opportunity to spend three nights at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront hotel when business required me to be in the area and I was to bring a friend. The hotel is on Alaskan Way, about a quarter mile below Pike Public Market. I used the hotel's recommended private car service from SeaTac airport. Excellent driver/operator. This was my first stay at this hotel. Last year when in Seattle I stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Pine street.

Check-in was smoothand We received King rooms as guaranteed. Our room was on the Concierge level # and offered a great view of the Emerald City. The rate was below $130.00 per night, using the AAA discount.

Our room, was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed was ultra comfortable. Both feather and foam pillows were available. Lighting in the room was very good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. The work desk was okay and the office-style chair functional and comfortable. The room had a a comfortable arm chair. We asked for a microwave.

The TV was had a lot of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies. I looked at some previews and costs per movie seemed to be between $12 and $15. High-speed Internet service had a charge of $9.95 per day. .

The bathroom was clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.

The concierge lounge was a couple of doors down the hall. The high tables and counters make it easy to use a laptop. There is complimentary wired internet service. I did not notice if there is Wi-Fi service or not. In the evening, the concierge lounge offered a hot appetizer, a variety of cheese and crackers, fruit and drinks. The breakfast buffet featured scrambled eggs, hot oatmeal, and all the other things you would expect on a breakfast buffet.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, but could use an updating to the style of the rooms.
The hotel has a small outdoor swimming pool and hydrotherapy spa. There is also a sauna and steam room accessible from the pool area. My friend used the gym and she told me it was well equipped.

There is one restaurant the hotel and several restaurants within few minutes and 10 minute walk from the hotel. We had breakfast several times in the onsite restaurant and food was good and service was great. I will stay at the Seattle Marriott if I can get a good again. Just outside the hotel is elevator and stairs that take you up near Pike's Market. The stairs is a bit of climbing but if you're in shape there is no problem. The staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this property if one want a property a bit away from the hustle of downtown.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank SeminarTrekker
Willmar, MN
Reviewed 13 May 2009

The staff remembered us from a previous visit. Our room was upgraded to the concierge level -- great hors d'oeuvre -- and the waterfront views were enjoyable. The fitness room was unusually well equipped. It is easy to walk to the Market and Belltown restaurants or take a cab up and walk down. If you want this location, this is your best choice.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Sudbury Ontario
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Marriot's; everything was perfect; they even had a breakfast deal. Of course there was that Big Cargo Boat to ruin the view but....
I had a great salmon filet cooked to perfection.
The best part was the elevator at the end to bring us to Pike Place Market.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Alaska
Reviewed 22 March 2009

This is my favorite Seattle hotel and arguably one of the top three Marriotts I would recommend in the USA. It's a popular stop for tourists transiting the cruise ship terminal across the street as well as business travelers seeking a bit of luxury in a great location. Both colorful Pike Street Market and eclectic Belltown are minutes away by foot. Although I have paid full-freight, the Waterfront Marriott becomes a stupendous value at discounted rates. Check for specials.

I recently arrived on a chilly February afternoon, but the Marriott hospitality would soon warm me up. The hotel lobby exudes Seattle charm with generous glass sculptures, dreamy trance and jazz, and well-accented furnishings with outstanding lightning. The valet parking staff and bellmen are universally friendly and efficient. Within a day, they knew my name and helped with a special request. The front desk staff were very accommodating, even indulging me while I snapped photos inside one evening.

Room furnishings are quite comfortable with luxurious bedding, although I never have cared much for most Marriott computer work areas. You probably know what I mean. The chair and desk arrangements are often uncomfortable. From the 8th floor, I had a nice view of the container ship Kauai docked at the cruise ship terminal. (Others have noted the same, but I have no surprise at seeing a docked ship in a working port.) I could also watch the passenger ferries cross the sound's waters and discharge near the end of Madison Street.

The lobby bar is an excellent place to relax or to meet with friends before a night on the town. Bartenders Chris and Cody can banter with the best and bring a smile to a weary traveler, even if just with a great drink.

Food-wise, previous travelers may remember Todd English and should know he and Marriott parted ways at the New Year. His Fish Club restaurant no longer occupies one corner of the building. While the restaurant host told me they serve Sunday brunch in the former FIsh Club, most of the dining is done in the side lobby on the street side of the bar. The setting is a bit dark and dreary. The host -- who may have been the manager -- was hardly forthcoming when I asked questions and was the sole staff member who failed to impress me. The waitress, on the other hand, was friendly and attentive, and she answered all my questions about the food and the operations. It seems the dining area will be re-done in the coming months.

Grumpy host and darkness aside, the food was simply outstanding, the center of which was a perfectly medium-rare 16 oz NY steak with baby asparagus and rich, creamy potatoes. WIne selections are reasonably priced for a hotel with a wide variety of quality labels. I enjoyed breakfast in the concierge lounge, which has a limited but adequate range, and evening snacks were pretty good. One night I had a Reuben at the bar, and it delivered on satisfying my hunger. You have a million dining options in Seattle, too. Anthony's Pier 66 is across the street, nearby Ivar's, and many flavors of Belltown are a few blocks away.

While taxi fares are not inexpensive in Seattle, no place in the downtown district or China Town is very far. Even the baseball and football stadiums are accessible by a long walk or a short cab ride. Swing by for some dim sum before or after a the big game. If you're driving, you can self-park or take advantage of the valet parking ($34/day).

For business travelers with meetings in the downtown area, staying here is a no-brainer if on a discounted rate. Ditto for tourists. Check for package rates, including some sports events, as well as weekend specials, particularly during the cooler months.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Aurora_Guy
dubai
Reviewed 6 March 2009

c/in late afternoon, ofcourse expecting to have my room ready! indeed! a short visit but very nice. great location, good and smart service, staff are friendly. room is beautiful, comfy bed, but only one thing though..not enough bathroom amenities?! overlooking puget sound but there was huge ship blocking the nice view. yet, overall...simply a place to remember!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank solofrequentflyer
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 February 2009

I spent a weekend in Seattle at the Marriott Waterfront. What a treat. The hotel was not very full so I was upgraded to a corner room with a spectacular view of the waterfront. All of the staff, from the bell hops to housekeeping to the front desk staff were very helpful. I asked for a late checkout and it was granted with no hassles.The room was light and nicely furnished with a flat screen TV, fluffy bedding and very nice toiletries.

The location on the waterfront provides easy access to Pike Market, Bell Town, and lower downtown.

The only disappointment is that Marriott continues to have hotels charge for internet access.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business