“Glad I found this” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Deerfield, Illinois
“Glad I found this”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I researched a lot of hotels for our recent short visit. We needed 3 rooms and wanted the best location with a reasonable price. Motif gave us all of that. Excellent location for sights and transportation to other sightseeing like the Seattle Center. Hotel was clean, comfy beds, friendly and the restaurant with outside area, view of the sound and shuffleboard made a great Sunday morning.

Room Tip: Bay view was nice
Green Features: For water efficient shower heads - they were great! Strong pressure and stable temps.
1 Thank Shoki333
Shannon S, General Manager at Motif Seattle, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Shoki333,
Thank you for your excellent review on your recent stay at Motif Seattle! We're so delighted to hear that you enjoyed our downtown location, rooms, and restaurant. We're glad you were also able to enjoy all the great sighteeing that our beautiful city has to offer, including the view of the sound right from your room, as well as our own rooftop deck restaurant, Frolik Kitchen + Cocktails. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in Seattle.
Shannon Sheron, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Issaquah, Washington, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a very nice stay recently for a wedding party staying overnight. The boutique type hotel is very attractive, and we had a suite on the 6th floor. The room was very clean and well appointed. Beds are very comfortable and the layout of the suite was super! I agree with the other reviews, the temp control is non-existant! We were quite uncomforable all night, and getting ready on the wedding day, was pretty rough. The bathroom is also very small. BUT! the service was very helpful and friendly, and we thought the location was fabulous! we also enjoyed the rooftop bar/restaurant. Fun atmosphere and really great food. All in all very positive experience. I would probably stay at the Sheraton next time, the price is about the same for a little bit more comfort!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
1 Thank monicajohns
Shannon S, General Manager at Motif Seattle, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Monicajohns,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay! We're so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your suite and comfortable beds. We would like to apologize for the temperature issues you experienced, but we're pleased to let you know that this is an issue that we are diligently working with HVAC and our engineering team on fixing. We understand that this is frustrating and we are committed to constantly improving our property to provide the best guest experience. We're also so glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff, great location, and rooftop bar and restaurant. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future in order to regain your trust and exceed your expectations.

New Orleans, La
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Motif Seattle. It was our anniversary and we asked for an upgrade if possible. Tyler was very helpful and gave us a corner room on the 19th floor. The room was immaculate but very small. There was no mirror in the room except in the bathroom, which was very small. The lighting in both the room and bathroom was not very good. There was no chair in the room except for a desk chair. The walls are not very private as we could hear the people in the room next to us. We stayed at this hotel when it was the Red Lion and went back this time because we were so pleased with our stay there. However on our next trip to Seattle we will look to stay at somewhere other than the Motif.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fna75
Dear Fna75,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. We are so glad to hear that Tyler was able to make your anniversary special by upgrading you to the 19th floor. We are sorry to hear that the accomodations did not meet your expectations. We greatly appreciate your valuable suggestions regarding the mirror, chair, and walls. We understand that these are essential and we look forward to improving upon these areas soon. We understand that there are many hotel options in Seattle to choose from and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future in order to regain your trust in our hospitality and exceed your expectations.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Three of us stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of August. From a cleanliness, staff, and location point of view - excellent. Two issues that bothered us though.

As other reviews have noted - the in room temperature control is problematic and doesn't seem to do anything. On our first night the AC was quite enthusiastic, but bedding was warm so no big deal. We did try to raise the temp, but nothing happened - immediately. 24 hours later is was too warm, and adjusting thermostat didn't do anything. So, it seems to take a few hours for anything to happen.

The parking garage does have a very "interesting" odour. Didn't bother us, but you don't want to hang around. Biggest issue is that the garage is public parking. It can be very challenging to find a parking spot on a Fri or Sat night, and there is no valet.I had to circle the block while my wife went into the hotel and discovered it is OK to park in the "Reserved" spots on weekends. Just make sure you move your car by 7am Monday.

A minor gripe with the shower. We had a room configured for Accessibility, so no bath, but a large walk in shower with a folding seat. We actually preferred this, but the shower head is very low on the wall, it was about shoulder height for me (I'm 5-11). It was detachable, but mounting it on a shower bar would have been more convenient.

We would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank Ken B
Dear Ken,
Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay. We are so delighted to hear that the cleanliness, staff, and location were excellent! We apologize for the issues you experienced. We are pleased to let you know that the AC and parking are two areas in which we are currently dilligently working with our engineering team and HVAC on fixing. We understand that it is extremely frustrating and we are committed to doing everything we can to create an exceptional guest experience in every aspect of our property and service. We also thank you for your suggestion regarding the accessible shower, adding a mount is something we will definitely do. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future and we hope you'll enjoy your next stay and our further improvements.
Everett, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was my first time staying at the Motif Hotel (formally Red Lion when we stayed) in down town Seattle. I was looking for a hotel that was close to everything downtown and had an affordable suite for my bachelor party. The hotel and suite were gorgeous. The renovations are definitely top notch and show throughout the entirety of the hotel. We chose to stay in the family suite because it offers two queens as well as a pull out sofa queen (which was quite comfortable-I was told). You don't get the great view you would get had we chosen the executive suite, as it was on the third floor, but we didn't really care about that. The room was almost perfect. The door leading into our room did not shut properly (room 311), and the water pressure was extremely high. It felt like taking a shower with a fire hose. Otherwise, the room is extremely spacious and offers upscale amenities such as a keurig coffee maker, premium snacks and large flat screen t.v.'s. The beds are very comfortable.

The service was almost there to match the upscale look of the hotel, but fell short in my opinion. When we arrived to check in at around 3:45 PM, Emily was at the front desk to greet us and was very polite. The dilemma started when she personally went to go check on our room, leaving us to wait a good 10-15 minutes in the lobby. When she finally returned, she apologized for the wait and gave us a $40 food and beverage comp to use however we liked. Being that it was my bachelor party, we used this at their bar/lounge, Frolik, that same night. When I received my bill I noticed that they had still charged me the full amount and in fact did not comp me for the $40. Admittedly, I did not call to pursue a refund for this since I had opted for the emailed receipt and did not notice till days later. Perhaps they have trained their staff a bit better in these matters and were in the process of transition since they are under new ownership now.

All in all I would say Motif is great for the price, and the look and location are perfect. Service just needs a bit more fine tuning, otherwise they are friendly and polite. Just don't make the same mistake I made and check your bill at the moment of check out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Sean T
Shannon S, General Manager at Motif Seattle, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Sean,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us detailed feedback on your recent stay. We are deeply sorry that we feel short in our service. This is unacceptable and your feedback has been shared with our team to ensure that we are constantly improving and striving to deliver the highest level of quality service. We were able to track down your reservation and have refunded your food and beverage accordingly. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at 206-971-8000 should you have any additional questions or concerns. We hope that in the future you are willing to give us another opportunity to welcome you back again and exceed your expectations.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

First a little background ...this was my 2nd stay at this property. I stayed here in 2012 for my birthday.  The hotel was then called the Red Lion.  I enjoyed this hotel and location so much that I recommended the hotel to my brother and his family for our family trip.
From the moment we (family of 5) arrived on 8/8-our birthday- (I'm a twin) we had problems.  The room wasn't ready (Because of this inconvenience a $50 credit to Frolik was given)  I was told that we would receive a call when it was. (Never happened)  Approximately two (2) hours later we approached the FD, stood  in line and asked about the room.  We were advised that room was ready and because of this new inconvenience  (2 hours and no phone call) that we would have complimentary breakfast during our stay at Froliks.
We proceeded to our room -6th floor, family suite.  OMG! Where do I start...the room was dirty and the furniture looked like it had just been taken out of a warehouse! Dusty and dirty.  I began to write a list of items that were needed and then decided to call and speak to mgmt. (Thank you Lolly for your assistance)
The room was inadequately prepared for or stocked for a family of 5 even though I told the front desk we were a party of 5 and that we would be utilizing the pull out couch not to mention, I spoke to room reservation and the front desk (Denise) prior to are arrival because WE were celebrating OUR birthday!
Just to mention a few of the items that were needed; cups for coffee we only had to (2), an additional robe, we only had 1, additional towel sets, and a blanket & pillows for the pull-out.  Upon this inconvenience Lolly informed me that she would take one (1) night off our bill.
Each day we left a $5 tip and a note requesting additional towels, coffee and cups AND each day we had to approach housekeeping staff in the hall to get additional items.
Upon further review of our room there were more issues...These items need to be reviewed by upper mgmt.  For example-Your not able to open the closet door fully because the bed is in the way! Sheets on beds do not stay tucked in. There are no towel racks to hang wet towels therefore towels must be replaced daily- not the most "green" or "environmental friendly." The bathroom door is frosted-although this does obscure the occupant it is not very private.
Please stop your turndown service!  (If this is what you call it) It's an embarrassment to those of us in the hospitality business! A dinner saucer with a piece of chocolate-carmel unwrapped-really? Or one cookie on a plate??? Weird!
To sum up the experience.  The hotel is in a great location and has extreme potential. I do not recommend the family suite with two queens beds.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Carla B
Dear Carla,
Thank you for your detailed feedback on your recent stay. We are deeply sorry to have disappointed you and would like to assure that we have shared your review with our team in order to improve upon all areas of our hospitality and service. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a comprehensive review of our facilities, as it helps us and our future guests. We have addressed these issues and will be improving upon our bed sheets, towel hooks, turndown service, and overall detail and level of service and housekeeping. We hope that in the future you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again and exceed your expectations. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay with us more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 206-971-8000.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Have stayed in Seattle many times, and the location of this hotel is hard to beat. It recently changed from being the Red Lion (only 7 weeks before I arrived), and I am usually very wary of new hotels as there are a lot of kinks. However, found the service incredibly good (which is likely because many of the staff were at hotel working with previous owners). They also offered unlimited free wifi for as many devices as wanted (which is a particular issue for me with other hotels that do not offer this)

More specifically, on 3 separate occasions I had issues needing some help resolving (finding best shops, finding out if programs available for specific sports, and getting stuff), and the staff went over and above to resolve these for us. Particular shout-out to Mitch, who e-mailed me after his shift was over (at 2.30 am !) to resolve an question I had asked earlier in the evening. Others in the restaurant were also extremely helpful at various times. Price was also very competitive with other higher-end hotels nearby. Overall, we were all very impressed.

Nonetheless, despite all the positives, and the recent upgrades, some issues remain. For example, while the room was good and mostly very new, the bath itself looked old and chipped, and totally out of place in this renovation. Similarly, some other minor issues with supplies. Overall, a very definite 4-stars are warranted, but have given 5 stars based on the service. To continue to warrant this, some work continues to be needed, and I note other writers have some issues which will need to be addressed.

Room Tip: We had rooms at the end of the corridors which were definitely quieter as away from central elevator...
1 Thank Peter S
Shannon S, General Manager at Motif Seattle, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Peter,
Thank you for your wonderful and detailed 5 star review of your recent experience. We are so delighted to hear that you found our service to be good and that our staff went above and beyond to resolve your issues. We also appreciate the shout out for Mitch, he is great at what he does and we are so pleased to hear that he is appreciated by our guests as well. Thank you for your feedback on our rooms and supplies, we understand that there is more work to be done and we look forward to continuing to improve our product and hospitality. We hope to welcome you back in the future to exceed your expectations.