“Service was Awful”

Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate
Ranked #90 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was yelled at by an employee named Keisha and called a liar. I was given a Queen room instead of a double by mistake and was told I had to wait until the following day to make the switch to double beds. Sadly Keisha was the only person working the following day and she made the switch impossible. Even going as far as saying I lied and that no employee would have told me to a switch. She also lied several times saying she didn't have any empty rooms. Then saying that they were cleaning the rooms and then she tried to overcharge me for the switch. I spoke to the regional manager and guest services about the inconsistencies and they did NOTHING. I expected at least a sincere apology for the service I received. Instead I was forced to sleep in a queen bed with another adult for my ENTIRE stay. Worse hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Johnq904
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The staff response you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, we will speak with the employee mentioned as well as retrain our employees on providing excellent service for all guest.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at ngt2@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Although quiet and nicely located behind a strip mall shopping center, this place was overall unsat and not a value. Room carpet was dirty, bathroom sink plugged up, dishes and in room coffee maker filthy. Staff was well trained with [--] answers for all your problems. Best one was towels have been on back order for over a month. Advertised towel service was begrungingly provided. Lots of excuses for not having wash cloths. Breakfast coffee cold. Really. Pillows were the worst I've ever had - totally flat - I slept on two and head sank right through to the bed. The night guy, Jesse, was great when we checked in. All down the hill from there. Won't stay here or any other Extended Stay again. Not worth what few dollars were saved over the full servise hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Asian660
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so disappointed that the carpets, in room items, and grab n go breakfast were not up to standards. Please accept my apology. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be addressing room concerns and inventory to make sure your experience is not repeated. Still, I am pleased that our staff provided you with great customer service during your stat.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ngt@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked though ESA website, and reserved a Non-smoking room. After checking in , we realized the room was certainly NOT a Non-smoking room. A meeting with the front desk person did not help a bit. She informed me that they had overbooked the non-smoking rooms and they had to put us in a smoking room.
My wife had a 3 day headache and was nauseated and sick the second night. We stayed out of the room as much as possible, since we had relatives we were visiting.
If we had the room we reserved, my review would have been much higher, as the room was decent and the location was good for us.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, the best tip I can give you is "book elsewhere".
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Paul-indiana
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed 2 nights while attending a workshop at the Community College. I can't imagine anyone staying here (or anywhere in North Seattle, for that matter) on just a pleasure trip. I write this review noting that there isn't anywhere 'nice' to stay in all of North Seattle so it's all relative. The best part is although it's tucked behind an abandoned mall and large parking lot, that means it's away from busy Aurora Avenue and fairly quiet. If you want/need groceries there is an Albertsons right across the street. Also a Starbucks just across Aurora (5 min walk). Beyond that I assume you won't be staying here for location.

Front Desk Staff: The girls that were there when I checked in were lovely. The girl that was there when I checked out was surly and very cold. The chambermaid was there and asked if she needed help assisting me with getting an item I'd left in my room and the desk staff rolled her eyes at her and was very rude. The chambermaid was so sweet and friendly (had an accent) so I felt very bad for her.

The room: I stayed on the first floor to be as far away as possible from the smoking rooms which are located on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately that plan failed because they gave me a room at the end of the hall and apparently there is a smoking area right outside the hallway door and my room really stunk. Very disappointing. They said I could move the next day but that would have been way too much hassle so I stayed put.

The windows have all these crazy things on them that make them IMPOSSIBLE to close. Everyone I knew staying on the First floor had to get maintenance or desk staff to help them close them - very annoying. I would recommend not staying on the first floor for this reason alone though I can't understand why they are made this way to begin with.

The bed was okay...too hard for me and the sheets were definitely not tight and smooth like you'd expect, but they were clean, as was the rest of the room. The water pressure was way too weak and the drains were very slow to drain. I was have a bath at the same time as my shower. Also, there was no hot water on the morning I left. Was nice to have the kitchen, it's a good size...would have been good to have a kettle. Not sure if this is an American thing, not to provide kettles? (I'm from Canada) The worst part was I was woken up to very, very loud banging around in the suite above me but after 2 hours of hoping it would go away I called and it was addressed in about 10 minutes.

Because it's an 'extended stay' type place, expect to see some long term residents.

In the end, for the price, it was fine and I would probably stay there again but not on the first floor and I would shower at night. Hopefully they will address some of these issues.

Room Tip: I'd say go with top (third) floor and just stay the opposite side of the smoking rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Angela F
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi there,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you had to encounter the smell of smoke when you had requested to be away from smoking rooms. I am also sorry to hear that you had a slow drain and poor water pressure. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are working together to make sure that our non-smoking rooms remain non-smoking and that our drains are draining properly before renting rooms to our valued guests. It is pleasing to hear you had enjoyable encounters with the staff. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at NGT@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 13 July 2013

I came to Seattle to attend a conference held in the Northgate area, so this hotel was very close to the conference sight.I wouldn't normally think this would be an area to stay in for sightseeing in general, but it actually worked out great for that too. I had a rental car and was able to zip downtown very easily (close to both an interstate access and side road route) or zip north to explore coastal towns. The hotel was perfect for me since I needed to be able to make my own breakfasts and pack a simple lunch to go each day. The room was spacious and clean. It had comfortable chairs and a desk to work at as well as a table to eat at. The pillows were great, but the bed could have been more comfortable (although I slept like a rock due to being busy all day). The staff were very accommodating, providing me with a list of grocery stores, restaurants, etc. in the area. For the money, this seemed to be a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am so ecstatic to know that we had everything you needed during your trip . Thank you again for your kind words. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

My parents and I stayed here while visiting friends in Seattle. While a decent hotel, there were a few problems:

1) Stained linens
2) Very loud toilet (woke everyone up if flushed at night)
3) Squeaky, uncomfortable beds
4) No rooms available with three beds.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Rachel - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that your room had stained linens and the beds were uncomfortable. Please accept my apology. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will work hard to make sure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me, at NGT@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The customer service was excellent and when we had a problem they handled it and i was very impressed with there compassion and consideration. What brought me there was my medical condition and needing to be close to SCCA and the rooms were clean and comfortable i liked that there was a sort of closet where i could keep my luggage and not see it it had a home like feel and the rooms were peaceful and the service was exceptional my insurance moved me they were on top of things to make sure i got my medical orders that were already on there way to them even after i had checked out. It was a good week and a half and i would definitely stay there again. My favorite part was the grab and go breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Elise - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that the rooms were clean as well as comfortable and our customer service was excellent.