“NOTHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT”

Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate
Ranked #89 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Room is comfortable. Bed is in good condition. We had a queen bed room. I like the kitchenette, very helpful. Not too luxurious though. For instance, I would expect at least some skin lotion and shampoo. There is no hairdryer in the room you have to ask the front desk people for that.
Location is not the best, situated in an industrial park like area. Not a walkable place, not much around. It is quite dark when night comes. Not too far a drive from Northgate Mall. It is not too bad of a drive into downtown Seattle from here though.
Their grab and go breakfast is nothing much, don't expect to have quality coffee or breakfast items. Hence my verdict - average a C plus grade.

Room Tip: Need hair dryer, ask for it or there may be run out.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank theology123
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I was disheartened to read that you were not satisfied with the amenity selection we offer. Please accept our apologies. Still, we will use your feedback to improve our offerings in the future. If you have any additional comments, please reach out to me at ngt2@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've been to quite a few hotels/motels and this one has consistently been a good experience for me. The rooms have been clean and well maintained; no hassels, no problems, just a good safe room with a small kitchenette and offering a quick breakfast. That's all i need to get my work done. I will keep staying at the Extended Stay because its offers me a decent room at a fair price and the folks behind the counter have always been there when I needed extra items and they have been pleasant and helpful. "Hope this helps! Earle H.

Room Tip: Every room I have had has been the same - good, restful, clean.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Earle h
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Earle - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wondrous review. I'm so pleased to hear that we have been continually providing you with a "home away from home" experience. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

As a caveat this hotel was offered as an appeasement to tenants delayed in moving into a new apartment complex plagued with delays. The hotel itself and the lobby were ok. However the rooms were dreadful. Paint chipping off walls and doors. Stale smoke smell in hallways. Pillow cases on the bed were wrinkled and discolored. They looked like they had been purchased used. After showering for a few minutes you were standing in water due to backed up water. I spent very little time in the room since I have friends who live in the area. The only redeeming feature was the front desk staff. Most were polite, friendly and as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. My comments are also going to the apartment complex corporate offices for selecting this place to house their tenants. It's obvious no one bothered to look at the rooms. I would recommend this place to no one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Beverly M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Beverly - The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. We appreciate the kind comments about desk staff; however, we apologize that your room was not up to standards. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be addressing the issues in the room that which you were located and addressing any issues in common areas as well to make sure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at ngt@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was yelled at by an employee named Keisha and called a liar. I was given a Queen room instead of a double by mistake and was told I had to wait until the following day to make the switch to double beds. Sadly Keisha was the only person working the following day and she made the switch impossible. Even going as far as saying I lied and that no employee would have told me to a switch. She also lied several times saying she didn't have any empty rooms. Then saying that they were cleaning the rooms and then she tried to overcharge me for the switch. I spoke to the regional manager and guest services about the inconsistencies and they did NOTHING. I expected at least a sincere apology for the service I received. Instead I was forced to sleep in a queen bed with another adult for my ENTIRE stay. Worse hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Johnq904
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The staff response you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, we will speak with the employee mentioned as well as retrain our employees on providing excellent service for all guest.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at ngt2@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Although quiet and nicely located behind a strip mall shopping center, this place was overall unsat and not a value. Room carpet was dirty, bathroom sink plugged up, dishes and in room coffee maker filthy. Staff was well trained with [--] answers for all your problems. Best one was towels have been on back order for over a month. Advertised towel service was begrungingly provided. Lots of excuses for not having wash cloths. Breakfast coffee cold. Really. Pillows were the worst I've ever had - totally flat - I slept on two and head sank right through to the bed. The night guy, Jesse, was great when we checked in. All down the hill from there. Won't stay here or any other Extended Stay again. Not worth what few dollars were saved over the full servise hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Asian660
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so disappointed that the carpets, in room items, and grab n go breakfast were not up to standards. Please accept my apology. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be addressing room concerns and inventory to make sure your experience is not repeated. Still, I am pleased that our staff provided you with great customer service during your stat.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ngt@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked though ESA website, and reserved a Non-smoking room. After checking in , we realized the room was certainly NOT a Non-smoking room. A meeting with the front desk person did not help a bit. She informed me that they had overbooked the non-smoking rooms and they had to put us in a smoking room.
My wife had a 3 day headache and was nauseated and sick the second night. We stayed out of the room as much as possible, since we had relatives we were visiting.
If we had the room we reserved, my review would have been much higher, as the room was decent and the location was good for us.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, the best tip I can give you is "book elsewhere".
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Paul-indiana
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed 2 nights while attending a workshop at the Community College. I can't imagine anyone staying here (or anywhere in North Seattle, for that matter) on just a pleasure trip. I write this review noting that there isn't anywhere 'nice' to stay in all of North Seattle so it's all relative. The best part is although it's tucked behind an abandoned mall and large parking lot, that means it's away from busy Aurora Avenue and fairly quiet. If you want/need groceries there is an Albertsons right across the street. Also a Starbucks just across Aurora (5 min walk). Beyond that I assume you won't be staying here for location.

Front Desk Staff: The girls that were there when I checked in were lovely. The girl that was there when I checked out was surly and very cold. The chambermaid was there and asked if she needed help assisting me with getting an item I'd left in my room and the desk staff rolled her eyes at her and was very rude. The chambermaid was so sweet and friendly (had an accent) so I felt very bad for her.

The room: I stayed on the first floor to be as far away as possible from the smoking rooms which are located on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately that plan failed because they gave me a room at the end of the hall and apparently there is a smoking area right outside the hallway door and my room really stunk. Very disappointing. They said I could move the next day but that would have been way too much hassle so I stayed put.

The windows have all these crazy things on them that make them IMPOSSIBLE to close. Everyone I knew staying on the First floor had to get maintenance or desk staff to help them close them - very annoying. I would recommend not staying on the first floor for this reason alone though I can't understand why they are made this way to begin with.

The bed was okay...too hard for me and the sheets were definitely not tight and smooth like you'd expect, but they were clean, as was the rest of the room. The water pressure was way too weak and the drains were very slow to drain. I was have a bath at the same time as my shower. Also, there was no hot water on the morning I left. Was nice to have the kitchen, it's a good size...would have been good to have a kettle. Not sure if this is an American thing, not to provide kettles? (I'm from Canada) The worst part was I was woken up to very, very loud banging around in the suite above me but after 2 hours of hoping it would go away I called and it was addressed in about 10 minutes.

Because it's an 'extended stay' type place, expect to see some long term residents.

In the end, for the price, it was fine and I would probably stay there again but not on the first floor and I would shower at night. Hopefully they will address some of these issues.

Room Tip: I'd say go with top (third) floor and just stay the opposite side of the smoking rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Angela F
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Northgate, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi there,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you had to encounter the smell of smoke when you had requested to be away from smoking rooms. I am also sorry to hear that you had a slow drain and poor water pressure. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are working together to make sure that our non-smoking rooms remain non-smoking and that our drains are draining properly before renting rooms to our valued guests. It is pleasing to hear you had enjoyable encounters with the staff. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at NGT@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future. Thanks again!