“Found The Fairmont--No Need To Look Any Further”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #16 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria, Canada
“Found The Fairmont--No Need To Look Any Further”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We arrived via the Clipper Passenger Ferry from Victoria for an overnight stay at the Fairmont. It was about a 15 minute walk from the ferry terminal, Pier 69. We walked up through the Pike Place Market but we would recommend taking a taxi cab unless you have a backpack or manageable luggage & you can navigate hills & stairs. Upon checking in we were pleasantly surprised when given an upgrade to our room. Staff was friendly & helpful throughout our stay right from check in, to the fitness centre, restaurants, concierge & check out. We ended up in a bright, comfortable room with a view over downtown & the water. We spent a lot of time in the fitness/pool/sauna facility which was absolutely fantastic. In the morning I enjoyed a complimentary coffee bar down in the fitness area & had a chance for some quiet time to read the paper in the pool side lounge area. It was so peaceful & relaxing sitting in the courtyard looking out on the beautiful rhododendron trees. The staff (including the new trainees) working in the fitness area were courteous, respectful, helpful & fun. We were offered the hotel's town car service but it was a nice evening so we decided to walk to our destination. We had everything we needed in our room (makeup mirror, hairdryer, ironing board, & good quality bath amenities etc) which made the trip easy without having to carry all these items as walk on ferry passengers. We didn't have a car so there were no parking fees.We thought free internet was included with our package & upgrade but we could not secure a connection using our account #. Seems to be that we have been very disappointed with all the previous downtown Seattle hotels we've stayed at mainly for the reason that we never received the quality, comfort, service or value for the accommodations/hotel property we paid for. We have paid similar prices for other dismal & disappointing downtown Seattle hotels in the past but we now that we've found the Fairmont we don't need to stay anywhere else. Thank you Fairmont.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The Fairmont Olympic is a wonderful hotel in a great location in downtown Seattle. Spacious nicely decorated rooms. Great service. Excellent pool and fitness facility. Free wifi if you join Fairmont Presidents Club (free to join). Only downside: parking is very expensive so try to forgo a car (or park in cheaper lots nearby).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Exeter, Devon
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed at the Fairmont in April and thought the service was excellent. Happy hour in the cocktail bar was hosted five days out of seven by very pleasant staff. The concierge was extremely knowledgeable and charming. Sometimes five star hotel staff can be pretty snooty. I liked this place a lot because all the staff were friendly and extremely efficient. Food was good but pricey.

Room Tip: Booked through Expedia to get a good rate :)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Queensland
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We recently stayed at the Fairmont Olympic, I had decided to book this as a bit of a treat as I had always wanted to stay at a Fairmont.

The decor certainly didn't disappoint and the staff were wonderful, I was so excited when we arrived.

Not long after we arrived I began to feel ill and had an asthma attack. The next morning I thought I may be able to shake it off so we went sight seeing but I was still not myself so we went back to the room to rest and as soon as I stepped into our room I was overwhelmed with chemicals and had a massive asthma attack, I could feel my face begin to puff up and I was very ill. My husband who never notices any thing said he could taste the chemicals. I knew I couldn't stay in this room or at the hotel but wasn't sure what to do so I called the front desk and Edward who is in charge of security came to see how I was doing, he said there was a car waiting to take me to the hospital, I declined as a hospital bill was the last thing I needed on a holiday. This was probably a mistake.
Edward made arrangements to move us to another room and this room was a lovely suite but sadly I couldn't enjoy it as I was far to ill and just went to bed, so no sightseeing for me. Edward did say that they are soon to change to greener cleaners but at this stage they were still using harsh chemicals. What ever it was in that room was very harsh. The kindness of staff was so appreciated at this time.

I later on had a visitor who had a reaction at the hotel when she went to the toilets in the hotel, so at this stage I am thinking this is not just me.

I was feeling a little better the following day when we checked out but still had lumps over my torso which were itchy, so it wasn't fun. My two nights in Seattle were not my most memorable.

I am afraid I wouldn't risk staying in another Fairmont hotel for my health which is sad as the hotels are all so beautiful with the best staff in the world who go out of their way to look after guests.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Denver, CO
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Flawless. From the accommodation of a very early check in to 3 minute room service delivery to perfect restaurant service to the doormen never failing to open the door with a genuine smile, to the concierge happily getting us a table for lunch elsewhere in 5 seconds flat. This hotel is the best of the best. Its worth the (yes, substantial) price. Not to mention its beautiful and located within an easy walk to almost everything. Frankly, it leaves the Fairmont in San Francisco in the dust. My only regret was the pool had a problem then night we stayed there and it was closed. Stay here without worry!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoweColaw
great falls, mt
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We have stayed at this property many times and are never disappointed. They were training some new staff and we had some problems with the room key, but this is a very rare misstep for this property. Room was super, ate breakfast in the Georgian Room twice- love the corned beef hash, and in general just love sitting in the wonderful lobby. As always, the floral settings were awesome.

Room Tip: Book with Platinum Amex for possible upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank insecret9
Silverton, Oregon
Reviewed 3 June 2011

The hotel was very nice. We had a gift certifcate that we had purchased in a package at a school auction.

The rooms weren't anything spectacular. Just a typical nice hotel room.

The location was superb and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go.

Baker parking was expensive but very polite and let us leave our car for the day we checked out so we wouldn't have to move it to another garage.

Overall it was a nice fun weekend but I wouldn't pay the prices they ask for what you get.

• Stayed April 2011