“Excellent value and enjoyable stay”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I stayed here with my mother before an Alaksa cruise in September 2010. Upon entering the hotel, we loved the ornate lobby. Our room was absolutely beautiful and very functional. We had a very nice lunch at a seafood restaurant that is part of the hotel, and finally, upon the morning of departure, I used the swimming pool. Urban hotels often have poorly placed pool facilities but this one was nice- almost in a sunroom, the pool was not huge but amply sized, and the hot tub was a nice touch. I'd definitely stay here again if I was coming through Seattle.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 September 2011

This is life as it should be. As soon as we arrived in the ornate lobby we knew this was something special. We were having a reunion of sorts with friends from Seattle and Vancouver and selected the Olympic for its elegance and genteel atmosphere. We were not disappointed. Everything was perfect: our lunch in the Georgian restaurant, the cocktails in the lobby bar, the large, comfortable room with a view of downtown Seattle, and most of all the friendly and courteous service (quite uncommon in large chain hotels).
How nice to find east coast elegance in a informal west coast city!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Questmeister
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Well it would be wrong of me to rate the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle as "poor" because it is really beautiful and the people are all wonderful. I was just so dissapointed with the noise level in my room. I did have a lower level room and perhaps it would have made a difference if I were higher up. My room was in constant annoyance of police and fire engines as well as plain old traffic. I really didn't realize the hotel was smack dab in the middle of downtown and all that goes along with that. On the plus side, I was exhausted when I arrived and could not bring myself to even go down to the restaurant to eat dinner...so I ordered room service. Pretty pricey but honestly the best fish and chips I think I have ever had...and I live in Hawaii so that says a lot!
Also when I checked out the next morning, the darling valet had a bag with homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk in my car waiting for me to take for my road trip. He brought me bottled water too and I just thought that was a lovely gesture. I appreciate beauty and staying in nice places but I don't think I would stay at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle again. It's just a little too "stuffy". I much prefer the Edgewater Hotel located right on the water in Seattle. Close in price with the Fairmont but just more inviting in my opinion!
Mahalo!

Room Tip: Probably as high up as you can get to eliminate the noise factor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel September 9-11, 2011 for a two night pre-cruise stay to visit several favourite sights and eat at two specific restaurants we remembered from 10 years ago. The hotel is an older building and therefore very sound proof. Checkin was simple and our documents from the cruise company handed to us at the front desk. No one asked us if we needed help with our bags and I guess that's the norm now as we mostly carry small carry-on suitcases! Our twin-bedded room was very comfortable with the usual expensive mini-bar. Lots of large towels and plenty of bathroom amenities. Our beds were very comfortable too. Joy of Joys - the windows opened to allow fresh air in. The main restaurant that serves both breakfast buffet and menu items was expensive - USD25.00 plus for all-you-can-eat buffett, but when you add up menu items plus juice and coffee it will come out about the same. There is an excellent coffee bar on the ground floor of the hotel if you are used to having just coffee and pastries in the morning. Overnight parking is USD 30.00 plus. You really don't need a car in Seattle, so opt for an airport shuttle or taxi. The hotel is within walking distance of all kinds of restaurants, shopping, other major hotels and Pikes Marketplace. We had a really nice stay - thankyou Fairmont Hotels for keeping up a true "Fairmont" tradition.

Room Tip: Twin bedded rooms I believe are usually located on the lower floors but very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

from the moment we arrived, we knew we were in the right place! The service is impeccable and the ambience is inviting. This hotel is full of history and iconic charge in one of the PNW's best cities. We had dinner in The Georgian and it was one of the best meals we've ever had. I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed here September 1-4 with 2 adults and 2 small children in an executive suite for a convention at the nearby convention center.

This hotel as everyone has said is very nice. The public areas are beautiful, the staff very helpful, the location within walking distance to the convention center, waterfront, and Pike Place market very good. The linens were very comfortable. The 360 virtual tour on the website is pretty accurate of what the room we were in looked like, with the exception that they have replaced the tube TVs with flat screens. They allowed us to move things in the minibar to accomodate the kids medicine and milk, which was nice.

The room was worn, though. The carpet was either very dirty or (I hope) discolored and there were places where the carpet had obviously been patched. The wallpaper was peeling in spots. The loveseat was in pretty good condition, but both the desk chair and the lounge chair were fraying and quite worn. One of the blinds did not work properly. As others have mentioned, the divider between the two rooms is just a sheer curtain, and ours was pulled off the door in a couple of places. It was okay with the kids, but we did have to turn off all the lights, move the TV and sit in the dark very quietly after 8pm when they went to bed which wasn't ideal, but was fine.

So, if you want a classic hotel with great services, large rooms, and a great location, this is a great place to stay as long as you are prepared for it being a little worn inside the rooms, and for the issue of the room divider if you are getting one of the suites.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon. The room was wonderful and spacious. The service was great and we had a fantastic time. They even have a house car ( a beautiful new Jaguar) that will drive you around at no fee, its first come first serve so on the weekends its hard to catch it but if you stay during the week it was very easy to use. You do hear quite a bit of noise in the morning hours from the traffic but we took it as part of the charm of it being an older hotel. The pool was also very nice, it did get crowded on Saturday but it was empty on the Friday. We wanted to come back for another stay this coming weekend but they were completly sold out, we were bummed but we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple