“An historic hotel that doesn't feel like a carbon copy”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sunnyvale, California
“An historic hotel that doesn't feel like a carbon copy”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This used to be the Olympic; another time was the Four Seasons. As part of the growing Fairmont chain this beautifully refurbished hotel goes out of its way to help visitors relax and quickly feel known and welcome. Very spacious and open, multi-leveled lobby leading up to a beautiful dining room. Cozy bar and inventive drinks. Excellent spa with good swimming pool and hot tub; massage room; sauna. Staff is uniformly gracious and proactive in anticipating guests' needs. House car available for short trips, first-come first-served. Very well located; five blocks from Pike Place; two blocks from convention center. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Had an executive suite: sleeping and living area separate--definitely beats a single room.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ProfessorEnglish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I had a wonderful four night stay at the Fairmont in Seattle. I was there for work and originally booked for three nights. Unfortunately I became ill overnight on my last night there from food poisoning from a local restaurant (not one of the ones at the Fairmont!). Being sick alone in a hotel room far from home is no fun, but everyone at the Fairmont went totally above and beyond to make me as comfortable as possible. Everyone I interacted with was very caring--the bellman who brought me some pepto-bismol from the gift shop below, the housekeeper to whom I apologized profusely (and tipped what I hope was generously enough) when she had to clean up the bathroom which was in not such a nice state after my illness, and everyone else whom I dealt with as I was recovering. The "Royal Service" agent who assisted me on the phone was helpful first with my request for a late checkout and then, when I realized I was not going to recover in time to make my afternoon flight, arranged for me to stay in the room for another night, charging the same (low) group rate that I'd had for my original booking. They even surprised me with a complimentary bowl of soup as I recovered--just what I needed. All of this gave me a very positive feeling about the employees and their care and attentiveness towards their guests.

Even before that I had really enjoyed my time at the Fairmont--very pleasant and well-appointed complimentary health club and pool and nicely decorated rooms with curtains that overlap to provide a true "blackout" for a good night's sleep. The decor style is classic and old-fashioned--if that doesn't appeal to you then you won't be at home here but I loved it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Auburn, WA
Reviewed 8 January 2012

For that last 10 years or so we have spent a night or 2 in the city to celebrate a birthday or the holidays. Our hotel of choice has always been the Fairmont. I always feel like a princess in this hotel. No wonder, as he staff treats their guests like royalty. The hotel is beautifully appointed: the rooms, hallways and lobby all reek of old money. We love the lobby area and sampling one of their famous martinis. Yes, this is an expensive hotel, but you do get your money’s worth. There is some good news for those of you who are watching your dollars these days – we certainly are. We joined the Fairmont’s President’s Club – its free. They email you when there are special rates offered around the world. We took advantage of this great rate for our stay this December. If you like seafood, you can’t go wrong with Schucker’s. Also, there is good happy hour in the lobby and bar with reasonably priced drinks and snacks. Treat yourself – your deserve it!

Room Tip: This hotel is in the center of the city, so it really doesn't matter which side of the hotel you...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Can't say enough good things about the hotel - probably my favourite stay of the year. Great service from the concierge desk, who provided a fantastic wine bar and a great spa recommendation.

Rooms were lovely, well appointed and large. Very clean and well maintained. Room service was fantastic. Easy to get to many of the locations in downtown Seattle - Pike's Place and the Seattle Art Museum are close by.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Stockton, CA
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Large, beautiful rooms. Service was excellent. The location is within walking distance of so much in Seattle. Only negative was that the bar staff was overwhelmed when our group of 10 came in for drinks.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here in April for 3 nights, checked out for 1 night, then checked back in for another 3 nights. During our first three nights, our room was spacious with a newly renovated bathroom and large living area. The hotel is in a great location in downtown Seattle and the staff was very helpful in directing us about town. When we checked back in, however, we were checked into one of the old rooms, which was smaller and very disappointing compared to our first room. We called the front desk to ask to be transferred to another updated suite, and they accommodated us immediately. What great service! And what a difference in rooms! The complimentary breakfast each morning was amazing - just be sure to ask what is included in the complimentary breakfast and don't order beyond that if you're on a budget because they charge you an arm and a leg for the extras ($7 for a grapefruit!!)...but overall our stay was excellent and would definitely go back if we have to go to Seattle again in the future. Also, we took advantage of the pool, hot tub, and gym and that was very nice. Great to work out in the freezing weather and they had an excellent massage therapist for a reasonable price too.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Mexico
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Hotel is well located, in downtown Seattle and has a good and helpfull staff, worth the price. i would return with no doubt.

• Stayed December 2011