“Going Downhill fast......”

GreenLeadersBronze level
chicago
“Going Downhill fast......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is the 3rd time I've stayed at the property in the last year and it is probably my last. I enjoy the location and historical charm of the hotel but there are just too many things wrong with the rooms for me to keep overlooking it because I enjoy the beautiful lobby and pleasant staff.

First, the rooms are getting extremely dated and the furniture and carpet are looking very worn and dirty. There is absolutely zero water pressure in the shower. I was given a room overlooking university street on the 6th floor and basically was up half the night because of traffic noise, sirens etc. The windows do not block any noise out all. I remember the bedding being very nice on my last couple of visits, so I was surprised that the pillows I slept on were very thin and hard. Not comfortable at all.

When I checked out I alerted the front desk clerk of my disappointment and she proceeded to look up my Fairmont President's Club profile and noted my concerns. She also said the reason my pillows were different was because I was put on a " hypoallergenic" floor that has different bedding and that was why the pillows weren't up to par. She said she would note the next time I stayed I would like a quiet room facing the courtyard. No apology, no real concern for the unpleasant stay. There are just too many nice places to stay in Seattle and the Fairmont is resting on its laurels and it is really starting to show. It's unfortunate because this hotel should be the best of the best but it is just going downhill and a nice lobby just doesn't cut it anymore.

No apologies, no offer to

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank chicagokel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Recently here for a weekend trip, the Fairmont more than met out expectations. The public areas are very nicely decorated, and we had a junior suite which was spacious and attractive. We had a formal dinner at the Georgian (separate review to follow) which was exemplary as well. Service, location (walking distance to the Seattle Art Museum) and Pike Market, and total experience were outstanding.

McDonough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Fairmont Olympic specializes in service is an under statement. From the time you ride up in your vehicle to the time you leave, they are at your beacon call. The courtesy Town Car is wonderful way to get around town. They are professional and will take you where you need to go within a certain distance. The drivers are better than any cabbies you could get. The hotel is wonderful and cannot wait to return.

Portland OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I read "doug100worth";s review, and can't agree more - I am a return customer, and look forward to future visit as well. The hotel is old-fashioned, with old-fashioned courtesy and politeness to go with it. You feel pampered at spa, and treated well at the restaurants downstairs. If you don't feel like a formal food served at the hotel, there are a lot of restaurants nearby. The cafe downstairs have good baked goods and coffee in a casual atmosphere. There are a lot of shopping nearby as well, and taxis are plentiful.

Someone commented on gym equipment being from 90s or something- I can't talk about weight machines (wait, how new do free weights have to be?), but cardio machines are up to date - digital with iphone hookup via USB, in several different languages. I found them newer than my gym's. The attendants at the fitness center are very nice too. I enjoyed going there.

Room Tip: A lot of good rooms - Tell the front staff your special needs or requests if any, and they will do t...
Green Features: recycle basket in every room. They don't change the linen everyday unless you request it to be changed.
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I checked into this hotel with my mother in the same room. My stay at this hotel was going great, until it was ruined on the 3rd day when the hotel staff called to inquire when I would be arriving as they had held a room for me for 2nights as per reservations made.
The staff then proceeded to state that they did not know I had checked into the hotel (as if this is really possible given the state of security in the world) and thus charged us the FULL RATE for 2 nights for the unoccupied room. The staff member that called us to share this news was curt and unapologetic. Yes, the reservations were for 2 rooms but surely to claim they did not know I had checked into the hotel - after I was there for 2 days- is a little ridiculous.
Needless to say this hotel damaged both my finances and my perception of it!! Wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Maria M
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have been staying at the Olympic for more than 30 years. We've stayed when it was managed by Four Seasons and since it's been managed by Fairmont. We've stayed more than 100 times and love the place. Sure, we have favorite rooms but it's more than the rooms as they don't have that great Seattle view. It's the people......many of whom have been around the whole time. When in Seattle, the Olympic is that only place you should stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank doug100worth
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Fairmont Olympic Hotel is a breathtaking property. From the moment you walk in, you breathe grandeur. Located in the downtown area near Pike Market Place and a great number of high end stores, this hotel is a great choice for anyone traveling to Seattle and wanting to like a king (or queen).

The staff is professional and incredibly friendly. They did everything in their power to make sure our stay was comfortable. Even when we arrived late after a city tour the day of we were checking out, we were not rushed out of our rooms and told that we could take our time to pack and freshen up. I cannot emphasize how wonderful it felt to be treated like a guest instead of a pestilence. They really went above and beyond.

Breakfast at The Georgian was nothing short of a foodie delight. I really recommend you trying their fruit juice of the day. It was to die for. I normally don’t have such strong feelings about fruit juices. I also recommend their Olympic Rooftop Honey Bee Breakfast. Trust me, you won’t be sorry.

The rooms were spacious, immaculately furnished to the majestic vibe the hotel perpetuates. The bed was so fluffy I thought I was sleeping in a cloud. Everything was pristine.

Whenever I return to Seattle, I will definitely stay at Fairmont Olympic Hotel again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family