“Beautiful hotel, but not for me.”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #16 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
El Paso, TX
“Beautiful hotel, but not for me.”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I booked this hotel for our anniversary this year.

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous on the outside. The rooms are very clean as well. We got a standard king size bed room. The room was clean, well laid out, and very comfortable.

I only have a few critiques as the hotel was so nice. The spacing between the tiles in the shower were orange/black in some areas. Having taken a bath, it was unpleasant to see whatever it was looking at my in the tile spaces.

The second part was walking up to the bed and seeing a nice big pubic hair on the pillow I would later sleep on.

Being a coffee drinker, I was very sad to realize the Keurig machine in the room was broken. I got coffee later at a local favorite, but it would have still been nice if it worked.

Finally, what place charges almost $120-150 a night and doesn't have free internet? Give me a break.

All and all, this hotel is amazing. We didn't even visit the bar, but I've heard it's also very nice. If you're looking for something high class, this is definitely the place. However, with class comes price. It was nice to get a taste of it, but we'll look elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were on the end of our honeymoon from the warm weather in Southeast Asia an decided to spend a couple nights in Seattle.

We rested comfortable at the Victorian themed Fairmont Olympic. The hotel was a short walk up a hill from the train station. We walked into the grandeur lobby and was greeted by an enormous beautifully adorned Christmas tree at the entrance of the hotel.

Since we were on our honeymoon, the reception upgraded us to a Deluxe executive suite with a separate sitting area. The decor included antique lamps and Victorian upholstered chairs. The hallway wallpaper had elaborate floral patterns and the carpet was just as detailed. They also sent up chocolate covered strawberries.

The housekeeper was very nice, she met us by the elevator and showed us to our rooms and how to use the heat, coffee maker, etc.

I absolutely LOVE the hotel chain's rose soap collection Le Labo Rose 31.

My favorite thing about this hotel is its within walking distances to the Seattle art museum, Pike's Place and Public Market where you can also visit the original Starbucks.

We visited the Teddy Bear Suite while we were there and it was an amazing winter wonderland with and the rooms were beautifully decorated with a winter theme and bears.

We ate at scrappers and enjoyed their happy hour specials.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
FairmontOlympicSEA, Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Congratulations and thank you for being our guest at The Fairmont Olympic Hotel and for sharing your momentous occasion with us. I am very glad to read that your stay during this holiday season was an enjoyable one and that we could assist in creating a special memory during your honeymoon. We are always striving for excellence and personal service, and it is very rewarding when our guests take the time to let us know they are pleased.

Thank you again, and we hope that you might join us again in the future for an anniversary.

Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This is a typical Fairmont in terms of its large size and scale. Plenty of amenities and services. I had a quiet room that was not large but was comfortable. Room service was quite good. I was able to walk to local attractions, the waterfront, and even walk to a Seahawks game, which was maybe only 15 minutes or less.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Monterey, California
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visited Seattle for four days to celebrate a couple of birthdays and chose the Fairmont for its excellent location and based on good reviews here. We booked two adjoining suites for our family of four and really enjoyed the space. The rooms were on the 5th floor, distant from the elevators as requested and were very quiet. We hardly heard any street noise and very little from inside either. The decor was very attractive, and the bed linens were of a good quality - usually I don't like hotel pillows, but these were really good. Spacious bathrooms with thick towels, robes and slippers. I really like the Le Labo Rose 31 toiletries from Le Labo - a little extra luxury. There was a kettle and a supply of tea, and a Keurig coffee machine. Plenty of closet space, drawers and a safe. We didn't use the mini bar. The lobby and reception areas were spacious and elegant - full of people as it was New Year, and the concierge was very helpful. Only complaint was that we ordered room service one evening and the food arrived 30 minutes later than the time they'd told us. Everything else was excellent and we were very happy with our choice of hotel for our special break.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank italaphile
FairmontOlympicSEA, Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for being our guest and for choosing to share your special occasions with us. I am glad to read that your overall stay was in celebration of a couple of birthdays was an enjoyable one. We are always striving for excellence and personal service, and it is very rewarding when our guests take the time to let us know they are pleased. That said, I apologize for the hiccup in service that you experienced regarding your delayed in-room dining order. I hope that all goes well on your next visit so that it may be even more enjoyable. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back and seeing you here again soon.

Victoria
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont in November both on my way to and from Belize. The first night was not much to write home about, as I landed at about 7PM and had to fly out at 4AM the next day, but the staff was friendly and the room clean, comfortable and spatious. The decor was a bit dated but in keeping with the general old-fashioned theme of the hotel, so that was fine.

My second stay was meant to be similar to the first - just an airport stopover - but my flight home was canceled due to weather and this is really where the Fairmont shone. They made sure that I was able to check-in, as my flight to Seattle was delayed until about 3AM, by not giving away my room for the night. I also got a high floor room to be able to sleep better for the short time I had. Once it was clear that my return flight was canceled, they were able to extend my stay for the same rate with no advance notice, which I definitely did not expect. High marks to the front desk staff on that one!

My only slight negative was that in my first room the wi-fi signal was patchy, but this wasn't a huge impediment to enjoying my stay. Much more important were staff attentiveness, room quality/size, and a great spot in central Seattle from which to explore. A good night's sleep matters too, and I can't wait to sleep in those cozy beds again!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have extra light and are a bit larger
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for being our guest at for taking the time to write. I am glad to read that both of your recent stays were comfortable and that we could be of service when your plans changed. We are always striving for excellence and personal service, and it is very rewarding when our guests take the time to let us know they are pleased.
Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Seattle and seeing you here again at The Fairmont Olympic.

North Bend, Washington
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I was very disappointed with the "xmas holiday" tea. The $60.00/adult was way overpriced for the small sandwiches and desserts received. All the food tasted day old and probably purchased from a grocery store. The service and atmosphere was amazing but that goes only so far. Hugely shocked that such a grand place could serve cafeteria food and think they should charge so much. If the cost was the standard $35/adult maybe I wouldn't have had such high expectations. I prefer the Queen Mary Tea room any day. They have homemade treats and an endless list of different teas.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Heather S
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed with my wife on our Honeymoon.

We were dropped off at the side of the hotel by the shuttle which is a shame as the front of the hotel looked great when we eventually got to see it.

Friendly & Helpful staff and the only hotel on this trip that sent some champagne to our room beause it was our honeymoon which was an unexpected surprise and very thoughtful.

The suite we stayed in was a good size, comfortable bed and a good shower, the style of the furniture is inline with the hotel (a bit dated for my personal taste but my wife loved it).

The hotel had a really nice grand classic old hotel feel to it and was nicely decorated in reception with all the christmas decorations.

Good central location, my wife and I walk most places and found it to be convenient for shops and restaurants and for sightseeing.

We would stay here again if we ever go back to seattle and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for being our guest and choosing to share your very special occasion with us. I am very glad to read that your stay for your honeymoon was an enjoyable one, and that we could provide the service you expected and acknowledgement that this stay was special for you. I appreciate you taking the time to write. We are always striving for excellence and personal service, and it is very rewarding when our guests take the time to let us know they are pleased. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to and becoming your choice hotel when visiting Seattle.

Best wishes and congratulations,