“Beautiful hotel, rooms need renovations”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #13 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“Beautiful hotel, rooms need renovations”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Really nice, grand old hotel in the heart of Seattle. Location made it easy to walk to most major sites, including the Pikes Market area. Public rooms and lobby are grand and beautiful, styled in an English country manor house look. Georgian room was beautiful to dine in, though we just had breakfast, which was good. Hot items on buffet are weekends only, otherwise, it's off menu or continental buffet on weekdays. We were upgraded to an Executive Suite and it was spacious, separate bedroom, living room, and good sized bathroom. Service is fantastic, super-friendly and very helpful staff all around.

My only critiques are that the overnight parking is pricey, $47 valet. Also, the rooms need renovating. They are dated and tired, with floral sofas, brass and glass lamps, older furnishings, and worn carpeting. Bathroom was ok, granite counters, marble, but I didn't like that there was a bathtub/shower combo with shower curtains, would really like a walk-in shower instead. Also, our heater was a little noisy.

Favorite thing of all is the house car. We used it twice, and they were timely and it was really convenient to have available. We made sure to call at "off" times, not around dinner rush, and only waited about 10 minutes to be picked up and brought back to the hotel. Nice touch!

Room Tip: Upgrade to larger rooms if you can.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpencerLV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed here last month for a short business trip out to Seattle. A very nice hotel in a great downtown location. Convenient to everything. That said, this particular stay was a bit strange.

First, while I was working in the room a man using a card key came in. He awkwardly apologized and took off for the hills. I went to the door and he was gone. This made me a bit more then concerned. I called and reported the incident but never received any call back confirming whether or not this was a hotel employee?

Second, While stepping out of the shower at 7:30am the next morning, there was the maid standing in my room. I didn't hear a knock? And didn't she hear the shower running and thought maybe she should come back later? She also apologized and ran for the hills.

Third, and also the third strike, I reported both incidents to the front desk at check out. The woman apologize and asked me to wait a moment as she went into the back room to discuss this with someone? Or I thought that was what she was doing? 10 mins later she came out, processed my check out and handed me the receipt. I inquired about my wait and she told me it wasn't anything to do with my situation.

So although these events should never happen to begin with, what was most disturbing was the lack of interest or attention to this by the staff? The manger on duty could not even come to the front desk with an apology. Not even a cup of coffee on the house!

As I said, a very strange stay at a nice hotel!

There are many other options in downtown Seattle that are just as convenient. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Kevin M
FairmontOlympicSEA, General Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for being our guest and for alerting us to your experience during your recent stay. We have attempted to look into this situation, but have found that we will require more information. We truly want to understand this better and kindly ask that you might take the time to contact us.

At your convenience, please contact me at Dennis.ClarkGM@Fairmont.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Dennis Clark
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed for a long weekend in January with our school age children. The guest rooms are spacious but dated. The bathrooms are very dated with low counters and difficult to use shower/tubs. We had to move rooms after one night due to a ventilation system noise that kept us up for a good portion of the first night. The bell staff was nice but there was a bit of confusion over the use of the hotel car. We had a dinner reservation and asked one of the valets if the hotel car could take us. He told us we were next in line upon its return in 5-7 minutes but apparently, someone else had asked the doorman so they were actually next in line. As we did not want to miss our reservation, we took a taxi but it was a sign of disorganization that there is not set policy to line up for the hotel car. Breakfast at The Georgian was marginal at best. The gentleman at the next table skype-ing at his table while eating was loud and obnoxious and I was shocked that nobody on the hotel staff tried to find an alternative place for him to dine. Dinner at Shuckers was fantastic. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Overall, if we return to Seattle, I think we would probably find a different place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Oakland
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was here for my 40th birthday and they were absolutely great. They even let me check in a few hours early - which is always a great thing. The property is GORGEOUS on the outside - the inside is exactly what you'd expect from an old world luxury property. Lots of gold accents and wood.

The parking situation was a bit odd - if you self park - you have to park at a city lot behind the property and walk across the street and around the block to get back into the hotel. The parking lot is open to the public so is sometimes crowded - but with your room key you have in and out privileges.

The staff was very very friendly. The beds were SUPER comfortable.

Room Tip: I was on the 11th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This trip was booked through Hotwire and what a great surprise to get the Fairmont Olympic Seattle. We had two connecting rooms. The pool and workout is great. The TV system worked great and easy to understand.
The only thing I wasn't happy about is the charge for Internet. it should be included.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dennis F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This grand old hotel is gorgeous. Such history and it's beautiful. The attentive staff and small touches carry through with the luxurious feel. The rooms have all the amenities you'd expect in a hotel of this caliber.

The location is perfect - close enough to walk to everything, but also close to light rail, train and of course cabs if other transport is needed.

We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds and the mattresses were some of the most comfortable we've experienced. The room was spacious and relaxing. I'm a Seattle local but like staying "in town" for fun weekends. The Fairmont made it extra-special.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sue T
Redlands, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband had a conference at the Fairmont in Seattle so I tagged along for fun. What a treat! Had a perfectly splendid massage from Joni at the gorgeous Penelope spa. Enjoyed happy hour at Shuckers (although I wish they would work on the fishy smell that greats you on arrival). The room was beautiful and the bed was divine, the room smelled a little musty which we took care of with an Anthropologie candle. Room service was excellent. The pastry bar downstairs provided a delightful selection of breakfast goodies and the Georgian restaurant served edible art on a plate.
Location, location, location this hotel has it! Walking distance to downtown shopping is 3-4 minutes. The 5th Avenue theater, across the street, featured Spamalot, which we took in. Hilarious, although it was distracting to have the director of the show on our row, using a cell phone to write notes about the show, which was in previews they told me. We had paid top dollar for our tickets, so the distraction wasn't appreciated. We were there on Superbowl weekend, the city was electrified in anticipation. We fell in love with Seattle and this hotel, so glad the Seahawks won!

Room Tip: We got a conference rate so the view wasn't great on the 5th floor, go higher for a view, and pa...
Green Features: They are into recycling and ask (reasonably) if guests will use towels more than once and sleep on sheets more than one night. Happy to comply.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple