“Great Concierge Services”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Florida
“Great Concierge Services”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

After reading some of the reviews I was somewhat concerned about our upcoming stay at the hotel. We chose this hotel as it was the location of the seminar we were attending. I must say we were very impressed and had a wonderful stay. The staff was very accomodating . The concierge services were extremely helpful making all our dinner reservations, train reservations and had great suggetions to enjoy our days in Seattle including a day trip to Bainbridge Island and a float plane excursion to the San Juan Islands and whate watching. The hotel's location was perfect and one special touch we truly enjoyed about the hotel was the house car - a slightly stretched Lexus which was available on a first come first serve basis to take us to our destination and also pick us up. Although you could not reserve the car it seemed to be available very often and we were able to take advantage of this rather than taking a cab. Definitely would stay here again when visiting Seattle.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
wellington, fl
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We were only in Seattle for one nite on our way from Victoria, BC to Portland, OR and stopped to have lunch the next day with some old friends.

I decided to splurge...and, actually, this hotel was only $40 more than the Best Western, which, when we drove by it in the taxi, paled a lot by comparison. I had monitored a good rate for the Olympic with an on-line travel site and just as I was ready to book, it jumped waaaay up! I called the hotel directly and they matched the deal I had in mind...classy.

True enough, we had 2 beds and they were pretty small but the room itself was large enough, well appointed, spotless and staff was very informative and helpful. There was even ice in our ice bucket when we arrived!

I had an internet emergency the next morning and the really kind & friendly woman in the business center let me know, nicely, that the 1st 15 min. were free to hotel guests...my emergency took maybe 5 min. and they didn't charge me for the printout and I was able to make a local call for free from there (I think it would have been over $1 from my room).

We took a short dip in the pool before breakfast and it was an amazing setting...very relaxing. Treated ourselves to a bit of breakfast in The Georgian Room...again perfect.

I think I could make staying at Fairmont Hotels a habit!!

West Midlands
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I joined the Fairmont Presidents Club some monthe ago after seeing tips to do so on Tripadvisor.It is free to join. We recieved emails of special offers and booked one of these .This meant that we could book an executive suite at a cheaper rate than we could get anywhere online for a standard room.An excellent tip and you get priority check in and the free loan of sports clothing if you want to use the gym.
Very good location and excellent rooms.You can ghave breakfast at any one of a number of cafes near the hotel.
We had afternoon tea in the hotel one day which although a bit pricy was a lovely experience.

Greater Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2009

We stayed in The Fairmont Olympic Hotel for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed the helpfulness and friendly staff. Arriving early in the morning from an overnight flight we
were able to book in straiht away which we were extremely grateful. The Hotel is located near all the good restraurants and near Pike Market. We would stay at this Hotel again

1 Thank woodgee
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I was sharing an Deluxe Executive King Suite nonsmoking with a friend for a get together with others and was staying 2 nights in mid-Aug and being a President's Club member check in was a breeze and was up to room #628 to drop some things off before heading out to dinner. The room itself has french doors that can close off the bedroom from the living area and so my friend was taking the sofabed while I was in the king in this bedroom area. We dropped out stuff to head out to meet up with some friends and returned around midnight only to discover the hideabed was hiding and no amount of leverage would get it to open up. A call down to the front desk had both house keeping and maintenance arriving very quickly for that time of night and after an hour of the two staff trying to unfold the sofabed, it was decided that because all the rollaways were occupied a mattress and bedding could be put on the floor to allow us to call it a night and so it was made up quickly.

Over coffee the next morning the friend was impressed they had staff on call at that time of night and that the matter had been resolved as it had, a point of view I shared. After more entertaining and sightseeing we arrived back later in the day to find a little note saying the sofabed had been fixed but that the mattress would be left and the guest could sleep that second night in whichever they preferred. Knowing sometimes sofabed mattresses can be less comfortable, my friend opted to spend the night on the floor again and said it was more than alright with him.

While the whole matter was handled well by the staff from a customer service perspective I was a bit unimpressed with the quality of furnishing in what is termed a Deluxe Executive King Suite as the malfunctioning sofabed was older and worn in very visible places and seemed out of place in a room otherwise quite well appointed. Had we been in a tiny and standard room worn furinishings would've surprised me less than in the pricier and larger suite category. I know the Olympic has been around for 80+ years and older hotels can show their age at times and in places so won't hold it against the hotel entirely as it didn't take away entirely from what otherwise was a pleasant stay.

One note about the french doors on the king suite part of the room was that they were fabric only, not glass, so closing the doors really didn't do much to shut out the sound from the living room area, such as the TV or from a telephone conversation. Especially for families I could see it being a bit of a downside not having a more soundproof bedroom area so they could put little ones to bed and watch TV for a while without disturbing them too much. When I had seen the doors in other guests pictures and on the Fairmont website I guess I hust assumed they were more than thin almost see through fabric.

The fitness facility and pool area was a nice getaway spot, though at only 4 feet or so at its deepest the pool seemed a tad shallow for my liking. The outdoor patio's adjacent to the pool made for a nice place to spend some time reading the paper on a warm summer morning and some chaise loungers would've made it even more relaxing but there were none in sight.

The Fairmont is very central and within walking distance of sights such as Pike Place Market, Safeco Field and numberous bars & restaurants in the downtown core. Having a rental car we parked at a nearby underground lot for $7 as they Fairmont was more than triple that amount. We were told that they waive the valet parking fee however if you're driving a hybrid so will remember that for next visit. Since we were visiting friends around Seattle over the weekend we didn't eat at the hotel but noted the typically high buffet breakfast prices and would imagine the evening meals would be in the same sort of premium compared to off-site dining options.

For a getaway with friends being right downtown was a definate bonus and if I was in town again I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Fairmont Olympic for a good price as the one I grabbed well in advance.

Northshore - Chicago
Reviewed 13 September 2009

The hotel looks old, antiquated and tired. We stayed here several years ago when it was a Four Seasons and it looks like nothing has changed. The bar area is uncomfortable and in the middle of the bright, old lobby. Not the kind of place you want to settle in for drinks. We had a upgraded executive suite which had french doors for the bedroom that wouldn't close. Not what we'd expected based on the descriptions. The rooms were clean but dated. We were supposedly in a renovated bathroom but it too seemed old.

The location is very convenient to all parts of down with easy on/off I-5. We went to the Seattle Symphony one night which was one block down from the hotel. Super convenient.

We stayed here because of the 3rd night free package through Amex Platinum to also get all those add ons which made this stay a "deal" with a good location. I'm not sure how this property is on the Amex list or is a AAA 5 Diamond. There are much, much better places to stay in Seattle.

1 Thank Movin4444
Vancouver
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Our room contained two "Twin beds" I am 6 ft 2 and over 200 lbs,When I book a room with two beds I don't expect them to be child sized.$20 an hour to use the business centre,to use the internet on antiquated computers?? $36 a night for parking?? $26 for bacon and eggs from room service?? {Includes coffee...lol} Looking out our 9th floor window the outside of this hotel looks like a hospital set in WW2.The Marriott blows this hotel away..free internet room.large suites and modern,was sooo dissapointed we didn't book there for less money. On a positive note,Staff we encountered were friendly and polite here, this hotel does have a grand lobby and restaurant,spa and exercise room are top notch..our room was about 250 square feet, looked like it was last decorated in the 50's,,we passed on the $8.00 bottle of water in our tiny room..lol.