“comfy and quirky” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
jeeno
“comfy and quirky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I thought this place was terrific, from the address (605 1/2) to the comfy beds and the pristine linens. We stayed one night, weren't able to make it to the tea shop, sadly, but but enjoyed the time we were there. It was very like a European hotel, and I always travel with a bunch of sample shampoos and soaps just in case, so the lack of (really wasteful) mini bottles and mini soaps was of no concern.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jeeno55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Francisco, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

This place has character and is definitely historic. Staff was kind and helpful, but I didn't sleep well on the old bed.

Just writing to warn future visitors that no shampoo, conditioner, soap, irons, or hair dryers are provided.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Yorktown, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stumbled across the Panama while Googling for a locally owned hotel while planning a first visit to the city over a long weekend. Despite some of the less-than-kind reviews online, the history of the place as found on its website sealed the deal. Making my reservation was amazingly easy and professional and when I called to confirm my reservation the day before arrival the same gentleman, Lang, saved me about $50 in cab fare by letting me know that the light rail station was less than a 3 block walk away. Lang also checked me in, making sure that my room was satisfactory and even brought me a robe to wear when making my way to the bath down the hall.

This is a European style B&B, meaning that there is a common bath and toilet, though there is an in-room sink. The room itself was small but very comfortable and furnished with a wardrobe, dresser and mirror, and a comfy, retro armchair. No TV, which was awesome, and I slept like a baby in the amazingly comfortable bed. After venturing out to Pioneer Square for dinner I ran into the owner, Jan. She greeted me by name, asked how I liked my room and the hotel and after some conversation mapped out locations for me and loaned me a copy of the book The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. The tearoom next door is a delight as well, with equally attentive and engaging staff.

If your idea of the perfect hotel is the generic consistency of a chain, the Panama probably isn't for you, but if you like quirkiness, charm and friendly, personable staff, you might like it there. On my stay in Seattle (which I hope is soon), I'm definitely returning to the Panama.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Mike H
Sparta, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

After reading Hotel On the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, I wanted to stay at the Panama Hotel when we went to Seattle. We absolutely loved it! I was unsure after reading some of the reviews but have traveled extensively all over the world so was game to try this one. The room was clean and the beds were wonderful...soft and fluffy. The bath was across the hall but I've stayed in places in Europe, such as the canal houses in Amsterdam, that also had shared baths. The bath was clean. The staff was cordial and talked at length about the hotel, answering our many questions. We had tea and the delicious squash bread in the tea room next to the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed reading the journal entries written by other travelers who read the book. Of course, we added our own entry. There was a wealth of history in the photos and items in the tea room and it was great to browse and look at it all. One morning we had breakfast listening to a pianist, a woman who came in off the street to use the piano. She played beautifully and it was wonderful to sit and listen to her while we had tea. We were disappointed we did not get to see the baths in the basement as the owner was away. We definitely will stay there again and are hoping the owner will be present so we can get to the basement on the next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the street side would probably be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol S
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Ok. We are very modest folks but we do prefer to sleep in a clean and comfortable room especially for $112.00. We don't need frills. At all. But honestly this place was so horribly gross. The first room we were shown to not only had an old, grey, and stained "rug" that looked straight out of an auto garage and a bed that was mostly old springs and stained blankets, but worse sticky rat traps in full view (one with a dessicated animal still attached!). I asked to please see another room and finally after the 3rd room we found one that was habitable. Why in the world we were ever shown the first two I do not know.
The third room, with a shared bath for $112.00 appeared cleaner but after the first two...sticky rat traps were still in full view and the bathrooms down the hall were fine.
Really people, you can do SO MUCH better. We fell for the hype of the historic building and stayed here because of that and because is was almost the only hotel not booked (that should tell you something...we just though we got lucky) during the summer U2 concert.
Please, stay somewhere else. Seattle is awesome but this place will ruin a perfectly lovely trip.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank c g
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

If your in it for a quick stay than this isn't your place,however, if your looking to get a piece of history then this is the place. I was a little skeptical on this place due to bad reviews and the overall look of the place. Truthfully, I thought I was gonna see a ghost and be freaked out and leave. But after staying here I have to say, if you sit down with the owner and learn about the place she will go it of her way to help you out. She mapped out the best places to check out in Seattle, named some good cheap places to eat AND she even upgraded the rooms for the same price. Btw i've never slept in a more comfortable hotel bed :-)

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank bmxbikeco
Central West Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I can't give a review of this hotel because after 10+ phone calls (I was constantly told to call when the owner was in) including 2 to the owner's personal line, she never returned my call. When the person at the front desk was asking her a question for me, I could hear the owner talking in a very abusive voice. I agree with the reviewer below that the staff were nice if a bit inept. I finally gave up and found a great room at a great price at the Virginia Mason Hotel. All I know is that if I ran my business this way, I wouldn't have a business very long.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends