“Fun, Friendly, & Gorgeous Views at Sunset”

Seattle Ferry Service Day Tours
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My family and I were visiting Seattle from Texas for a few days and while in town, we were told to stop off and take a ferry ride through the Puget Sound over to Bremerton. While trying to get to the terminal proved to be a task (horrid traffic issue where people regularly pull through an intersection at a red light, blocking the remaining intersection so that when you get a green light, you're blocked and cannot go.), we did eventually get there and chose to take the Bremerton Ferry for $29 for our one vehicle and four passengers. It seems pricey, but in the end it was worth it considering the views we got. The attendant was super helpful in suggesting to us that this was, indeed, the ride to take if we wanted a longer and more scenic ride through the sound. It was an hour either direction. But don't be confused by the fact that the receipt states all rides are round trip with the exception of a named few, because unless you PAID for round trip, it's not really a round trip.

Once we got into line for our terminal, I had to go potty. So we headed off to find a restroom. The bicycle officers on site were kindly and helpful and directed us off to where we needed to go, complete with instructions on how to exit the terminal and re-enter (create your own password at the gate upon exit and use it to re-enter at the station). When we got into the pedestrian/commuter station, it was massive and really rather shocking. We didn't realize it was like a mini mall in there! But we found the restrooms quickly and were able to make our way back to our car without any problems.

When we loaded, we had no issues, and once the ferry started on it's way, we made our way to the top deck, where there were benches, seats, vending machines, and even some small shops. We took a few pictures from the observation decks, and then settled in for a smooth ride over the sound at sunset. The scene was breath taking to say the least.

Once we reached our destination, leaving was as simple as loading and we were sitting on the other side of the Puget Sound, looking at the Naval Air Base and their enormous Naval ships.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I take ferries a few times a year and I like them OK. Before my trip to Seattle I heard so many reviews of these ferries talking about how beautiful and awesome they are that put aside time for the trip to Bainbridge Island, so this review is for that trip alone.

If you’re from a place that has ferries like I am, this is not much better. It’s your standard ferry experience. I will say a bunch of good things, though. The entrance where you give your ticket is nice. The boat was nice and seemed modern. The views of the city and everything else were all quite nice. There seemed to be a lot more energy from the passengers on this ferry than I’m used to, which I found refreshing. People were walking for exercise, kids were playing, people were sitting outside and relaxing, it was nice.

But if you have taken boats or ferries a few times in the recent past, it’s not any better than any other. I’ve taken the Staten Island Ferry in New York a few times and the view is a lot better even though the boat isn’t new.

However, don’t let all these great reviews sway you. I am not a boat/ferry person, I take them about 4-6 times per year and have done so in my travels in many areas the year previous to this trip. I found this ferry to be just as good as any other. It’s not worse, it’s prefectly pleasant, but it’s not mindblowingly awesome like everyone says it is. It’s just a relaxing boat ride. If you are touring the area and are not that interested in boat rides or if you take a ferry on a regular basis in your life, don’t bother with this one unless you are really interested in getting a photo of the skyline. I had a better time looking at the city from the Columbia Center Sky View building.

Also, if you don’t have a plan to do anything on Bainbridge Island, then don’t go. Only go if you really feel you want to spend about 3-4 hours and are interested in walking a distance to town. I don’t own a car, I walk everywhere I go, yet I found the idea of walking to town to be disheartening. In other words, if you’re only interested in the ferry because everyone’s saying how “amazing” it is and not really interested in anything on Bainbridge, don’t do it. If you’re a tourist with only a couple days in Seattle it is not worth the time unless, as I said before, you really want that photo op. If so, be prepared to spend a long to get to Bainbridge, wait a while for the return ferry, and get back to the Seattle-side dock. In my opinion it was not worth it.

5  Thank ibadger
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This is a ride worth taking, as the view is breathtaking. We rode from Bainbridge to downtown Seattle an as one approches you get an amazing view of the city. It helps if you do this on a clear day, but even if it is partly cloudy, as it was when my wife an I rode it, it is still worth it.
Took this ride in 2012 and plan on doing it again next time we visit, maybe we will do it at night and get a voiew of the city after the sun sets.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We rode the ferry over to Bainbridge Island which was not too expensive or very long a ride but we had great views of the Seattle waterfront line both coming and going.The ferry is a very comfortable ride with seats on deck.The ferry was very clean and the staff was very friendly and they do have refreshments if you care to purchase.

1  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Pretty cheap ride over to Bainbridge. Great views of the city. Ferry is a comfortable ride with seats on deck and below. Refreshments are available.