“Everyday Greek food at not upscale prices!”

The Continental Restaurant and Pastry Shop
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Bellevue
Seattle, Washington
“Everyday Greek food at not upscale prices!”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

The Continental offers straightforward affordable Greek fare, un-complicated. It is a true cafe, and has a wonderful dessert selection, including Galactobourekos (a very tasty, but hard to find custard pastry!) They have Belly dancers now and then. Good service. A good saganaki and a tasty skordalia. The pita is the nice, soft, squishy kind (Not the thin dried out ones many places offer). The meats are tender and nice flavored. Solid, honest fare for good prices.

Visited February 2013

Washington
“Great french fries”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This restaurant is great for all ages. I am always eating out, trying all sorts of good food, but my first love is a plate of crispy, not greasy french fries. This restaurant does them perfectly. The Greek menu has many items and I like the gyros.
The decor is plain, but the atmosphere is very friendly.

• Visited August 2012
Kalispell, Montana
“What a breakfast treat!”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The food has tremendous flavor. I ordered Helen's Peta Breakfast. It comes with scrambled eggs and tomato with feta on top of a Peta. It was wonderful. What is really unique is the service. The lady who served us was warm and gracious and there was a genuine delight in the way she served. Please go and enjoy!

• Visited August 2012
Seattle, Washington
“You're family here”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The food here is wonderful, warming comfort food. Basic Greek country food like avgolemono soup, keftethes, & warm pita bread. I live in fear that they'll close and I won't ever get to have their lentil soup again. Demetre (one of the owners) once told me the recipe while I was paying and fretting that I couldn't replicate it at home, but of course, I didn't write it down. I need to ask him again. That soup is the 1st restaurant food my baby boy ever had. But the food is not really why I come here, yummy as it is. There are other Greek restaurants in town that have good food, but I never darken their doors because at the Continental, I'm treated like family. Really. I've been coming to this restaurant since 1988. Back then, George & Helen were middle-aged, Demetre had more hair, and mine wasn't this grey. When on break, the family sits at a table next to the register, reading the New York Times and discussing politics and local events. Demetre has made me cry several times by being so kind it hurts. I've watched him take $20 from the till & walk out to give it to a homeless girl. He knows several of the more down-and-out regulars in the neighborhood and is generous & kind to them. Everyone there always makes sure that my son gets a free meringue. And once, George saw him eating a pita and came over with a saucer of honey and said in his heavy accent, "This is how *I* ate it as a boy...you dip the bread in here. You like it." In short (okay, it might be too late for this to be short!), these are wonderful, intelligent, funny, kind people and it's a privilege and a pleasure to do business with them. Sure, I could go somewhere with more glitz, a more exotic menu, but there's nowhere else I could go where I could be treated like I am here. I hope they never go out of business! (Okay, I have one quibble: their coffee could be a lot better. It's a diner and they have diner coffee, but in Seattle, there's no reason not to have better coffee. It's a small quibble though.)

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank RottHound
Walla Walla, WA
“Happy customers since 1974”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We started to go to this Greek restaurant on "The Ave" near the University of Washington in the late 1960's. In 1974 the present owners bought the restaurant from Greek fellow countrymen and improved on a good thing. My wife and I have been eating there since 1974 every time we get to Seattle and often meet friends there. The excellent quality of the food and service never changes decade to decade. The mushroom, onion and feta cheese omelet with toast and Greek fries I had today was the same high quality it has been for the past 38 years.

• Visited July 2012