“eating at kau kau yesterday”

KAU KAU Barbeque Market
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Maple Valley, Washington, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“eating at kau kau yesterday”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Used to go to this place for years, but will never go back again. Food is good but very small
proportions and almost miniature size plates. Everything was going o.k. until we went up
front to pay. That's when a young server walked up to us asked for his tip. This server did
nothing for us at all. It was the elderly lady that actually served our table. We were going to
give her a tip after we got change from our bill, but was so mad we left in a hurry. Very poor
service and rude performance from the younger generation.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Judith F

• Indonesian first
United States
“yummy”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My husband and I were introduced to this place by a local Seattle family member. The service is fast and friendly. The food was tasty and well seasoned. Although, the garlic short ribs need some more flavor. But, we were very full and satisfied.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank World T
Marietta, Georgia
“Could Use a Top to Bottom Cleaning”
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

We chose Kau Kau at random, and were pleased to see "Zagat Rated" on the door. Well, I have to ask.... Rated when, exactly????

The $5.25 BBQ pork lunch special included five tiny tiny fatty Phil sized slices of pork, two small bites of steamed broccoli, a thin slice of carrot, a bowl of salty soup, a mound of salty rice, and an egg roll with an unusual tempura "shell", instead of the usual crispy wonton type we're used to. Nothing was really spectacular but nor was it very tasty. As my husband said, "You get what you pay for".

What bothered me was the the restaurant was just plain dirty. There was food caked on the walls at our table and others in the lower dining room. The dish and spoon with chili sauce that stays on the table was sticky and nasty and didn't appear to have been washed in some time. And there was a small yellow curtain shielding the two bathroom doors, I guess from noncustomers. The yellow curtain was black with dirt. I mean, come on, ladies. How difficult would it be to take it down and wash it once in a while? Its visible to everyone in the dining room. Gross!!! Door pushes and knob areas to bathrooms and kitchen were black with dirt. Wipe the darn doorhandle areas down!!! It really made me uneasy about the cleanliness of the kitchen itself when these were covered in black grime.

I couldn't even recommend Kau Kau on the basis of cheap eats.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank springlering
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“makes you drool”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I had an image of what a Chinese bbq place should be like and this is IT! Roast meat hanging in the windows, just waiting for your order to be cut up and served! I ordered the roast pig, not to be confused with bbq pork, this delicious goodness of pork that still have the skin on. Roasted to crackling. This is one of the best roast pigs I've ever tasted. I also ordered the roast duck noodle. Very generous bowl of noodle soup and half a roast duck on it for around $7. We also ordered a seafood saute dish, which was ok. This is the place for Chinese bbq, if you order something else you might be disappointed. The waitress was very friendly and attentive to us as well, gave me directions to a local grocer but we were not there during meal rush. Enjoy!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SiRui H
Anacortes, Washington
“Don't skip this place!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We are always on the lookout for a place to fill up on fresh ingredients inexpensively, and get a cultural experience along the way. Kau Kau nailed it! From the authentic dishes to the family-run atmosphere, we felt like we could be in China. Three of us split two dinner combos, and were full to the brim for $20 total! Where else can you find that? The veggie and tofu dishes alone would have cost $8 each somewhere else, and they were just the side dishes! Pork was simply done, not over-thought or over-spiced. Just great quality meat with pure flavor. Waitress was running around like crazy (in a good way) they seemed short-staffed for how busy they always are. She did great and threw in free soup for us! You can't leave Seattle without eating here.

• Visited May 2013