“Great BBQ Pork and Food”

KAU KAU Barbeque Market
Ranked #875 of 4,299 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Barbecue, Chinese, Seafood
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

this restaurant is in the heart of Chinatown. It probably can see about 25 to 30 customers and they have hanging barbecued meat in the window. I probably have been to this place a dozen times and feel like it is necessary to write a review now. The barbecue pork is excellent the Chinese broccoli and vegetables are wonderful. I would have given it 5 stars had the waitress been more attentive. However the quality of the food makes up for any shortcomings on service.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Used to go to this place for years, but will never go back again. Food is good but very small
proportions and almost miniature size plates. Everything was going o.k. until we went up
front to pay. That's when a young server walked up to us asked for his tip. This server did
nothing for us at all. It was the elderly lady that actually served our table. We were going to
give her a tip after we got change from our bill, but was so mad we left in a hurry. Very poor
service and rude performance from the younger generation.

1  Thank Judith F
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My husband and I were introduced to this place by a local Seattle family member. The service is fast and friendly. The food was tasty and well seasoned. Although, the garlic short ribs need some more flavor. But, we were very full and satisfied.

1  Thank World T
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

We chose Kau Kau at random, and were pleased to see "Zagat Rated" on the door. Well, I have to ask.... Rated when, exactly????

The $5.25 BBQ pork lunch special included five tiny tiny fatty Phil sized slices of pork, two small bites of steamed broccoli, a thin slice of carrot, a bowl of salty soup, a mound of salty rice, and an egg roll with an unusual tempura "shell", instead of the usual crispy wonton type we're used to. Nothing was really spectacular but nor was it very tasty. As my husband said, "You get what you pay for".

What bothered me was the the restaurant was just plain dirty. There was food caked on the walls at our table and others in the lower dining room. The dish and spoon with chili sauce that stays on the table was sticky and nasty and didn't appear to have been washed in some time. And there was a small yellow curtain shielding the two bathroom doors, I guess from noncustomers. The yellow curtain was black with dirt. I mean, come on, ladies. How difficult would it be to take it down and wash it once in a while? Its visible to everyone in the dining room. Gross!!! Door pushes and knob areas to bathrooms and kitchen were black with dirt. Wipe the darn doorhandle areas down!!! It really made me uneasy about the cleanliness of the kitchen itself when these were covered in black grime.

I couldn't even recommend Kau Kau on the basis of cheap eats.

1  Thank springlering
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I had an image of what a Chinese bbq place should be like and this is IT! Roast meat hanging in the windows, just waiting for your order to be cut up and served! I ordered the roast pig, not to be confused with bbq pork, this delicious goodness of pork that still have the skin on. Roasted to crackling. This is one of the best roast pigs I've ever tasted. I also ordered the roast duck noodle. Very generous bowl of noodle soup and half a roast duck on it for around $7. We also ordered a seafood saute dish, which was ok. This is the place for Chinese bbq, if you order something else you might be disappointed. The waitress was very friendly and attentive to us as well, gave me directions to a local grocer but we were not there during meal rush. Enjoy!

1  Thank SiRui H

Been to KAU KAU Barbeque Market? Share your experiences!