“Wanted to rate higher but cant't overlook poor service”

Elliott's Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
Elliott's Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 4,199 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$16 - US$32
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Spring Street
Transit: Metro Transit Routes 99-O and 99-I at Alaskan Way and Spring(.10 mi) Metro Transit Routes 10-O, 11-O, 113-I, 121-I, 121-O, 122-I, 125-I, 15-O, 18-O, 21-I, 22-I, 56-I and 994-I at First Avenue and University St (.15 mi)
Reviewed 28 June 2014

TripAdvisor travelers rated Elliot's very highly so I was really looking forward to eating at Elliot's. I purposely walked everywhere I went in downtown Seattle and the walk from the Hilton to Elliot's was a good trek down to the waterfront (that walk back up was a good aftermeal exercise to say the least).

It was prime time for evening dining so I knew that I should expect a wait. I was I could sit immediately at the oyster bar or wait told 20 minutes for a table. I had asked did that wait include patio seating as well and was told yes and I think the hostess assumed I wanted patio seating. So I ended up waiting about 35 minutes. Acceptable given I had no reservations and I did inquire about the patio (I just wish I had brought a light jacket).

However once, seated my wait truly began. The patio area was at capacity and the waitress covering my table was no where to be found for quite some time after I was seated. She was friendly but after seating and taking my drink order she was off handling her other tables and it was awhile before she came back to take my order.

I inquired about the oysters (of course) and I wanted to try locally grown varieties and we worked out where she would bring me out 6 different varieties based on their recommendations. I ordered the Copper River sockeye salmon since it was just in season.

Then I waited and waited. Then got bread and butter brought out. Then I waited and waited some more. Then I got my oysters. All of which were very fresh by the way ranging from sweet to salty varieties. And you guessed it, I waited some more for my entree. All the while the weather was turning a bit sour and windy. Indeed the salmon was excellently prepared at the medium temperature that I requested and the side vegetables and wild rice were very good as well, but by the time my entree came out I ate it at a good clip (too quickly to truly savour it) in order to get back to the hotel and out of the wind. I might have avoided that I should have brought that light jacket but that wouldn't have changed the length of time I had to wait.

While the food was excellent, I quite frankly felt the pricing was a bit high for both the oysters and main dish. If you want oysters and seafood you can probably get them just as fresh somewhere else for a better price. Overall, I may have felt better about the value if not for the service and wait times. No apologies offered for the wait between drink/refills, oysters and entree. A bit of a disappointing experience given the TripAdvisor reviews I read.

There are newer reviews for Elliott's Oyster House

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband & I went to Elliot's for lunch. My husband had the dungeness crab, which they steamed. The crab had a great flavor, but the shell had an egg shell consistency & when cracked seemed to fly everywhere compared to the crab prep at their competitor one Pier over. The disappointing thing for me (a person with a shellfish allergy) is the lunch menu offers very little for people who cannot eat seafood. Another salad was what I ate and it was so-so.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Read about the restaurant on TA and it did not disappoint. Great meal, nice atmosphere,excellent service- you could not ask for more!
Highly recommend.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

we had a dozen of different oysters, they have a huge selection so we took there advice which to take. Very good choice. Cob River salmon was expensive but very, very good. Best Salmon I ever had. With it we had a nice bottle of Franciscan Chardonnay for a reasonable price. Service was good.
Will come back to Elliott's next time

Reviewed 26 June 2014

If a nice day, sit outside on the large patio for great views of the ferry terminal and sound. Very knowledgable staff on the different types of the many, many oysters they have. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal but was a bit pricey for lunch.