“Might just be the best Mexican food in Seattle”
Review of El Puerco Lloron - CLOSED

El Puerco Lloron
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My brother, a Seattle local, told me this is his favorite Mexican place, hands down. That's no small endorsement, so I talked two friends into joining me there for lunch. Thus far, my brother has never steered me wrong when it comes to Mexican food. Other locals said, "better than la Carta de Oaxaca?!?" and his response was that it is "down home, with a simpler menu, but just as good."

Was his prowess as a Seattle restaurant guide tarnished or preserved? Absolutely preserved. (Thanks, bro!)

Yes, it's a hole in the wall, just off the Harbor Steps, a stone's throw from Pike Place Market. Yes, the tables are a bit rickety and mis-matched, and the atmosphere/decor will not be winning awards anytime soon. But if your interest is delicious Mexican food, this is your place.

Fresh made, well-seasoned, delicious. I had the taquitos with carnitas, added guac and a Mexican Coke. Friends had the same but with carne asada. One friend was from New Mexico and commented that there was no heat at all, but the flavors were great, kidding us about Washington gringo's taste in Mexican food. You can add heat with fresh salsa or Tapatio sauce, if desired. I noticed that he didn't opt for extra spices.

The beans and rice were nicely seasoned. We tried all the salsas, all were great. A fun place to visit if you're in downtown Seattle. Give it a try.

There are newer reviews for El Puerco Lloron

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

The carnitas were to die for: melted in the mouth and full of flavor. Guacamole was near perfect. The beans were ok and the rice was tasty but a bit dry. Service was brusque. Menu was much smaller than it used to be. We first came here in the early 80s and hadn't been here in years. I'm glad it's still here but the value does not equal what you get. The same price as sit down Tex Mex restaurants in a not so great setting

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We found this place quite by accident!

I love the taco's, as they will make the corn soft shells right in front of you!!

Quick service, good specials, neat atmosphere!! Very much like mexico!

1  Thank Family_Vaca_mjxdk
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My boyfriend and I were in Seattle for one night and really craving Mexican food. We looked up Mexican restaurants in the area and we found “el Puerco lloron” after reading the reviews we decided to go there. The location of the restaurant is really good. As soon as we walked in and saw the condition of the place my boyfriend wanted to go somewhere else. But I thought I would over look the filthy tables and floors and overall dingyness of the place for good Mexican food. While we looked through the menu the lady serving the food kept asking us if she could help us…in a rude way. Obviously we were looking at the menu and undecided if we even wanted to eat there. She kept asking so we decided to order. I ordered the carne asada tacos. As soon as she picked up the meat I regretted my decision of eating there! I was terrified. The carne asada looked like it had been sitting there 3 days. My boyfriend ordered cochinita which they were out so she offered cochinita Colorado instead. His food wasn’t bad. I ate one taco. Had a bit of rice and a bit of beans and I was done with that place. They were out of pico de gallo also. We left and I was so upset that we were visiting from Vancouver and wanted a good dinner for our only night in Seattle spend $30 for both of us for something they should have paid us to eat! I’m surprised how they’re even open. Why some people rate it a good place. How they make money? Because I’m definitely not going there ever again and make sure I tell people I know heading to Seattle not to come near that place. How it is that health inspection hasn’t closed them?

1  Thank Gbita
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Don't be put off by the cafeteria style service at El Puerco. The food is authentic, without being smothered in sauce and broiled till the plate is too hot to touch. It's real Mexican food, like you'll find in food trucks, but unlike food trucks, you can sit down at their authentic metal card tables and take in the Mexican atmosphere. Not to be missed!

1  Thank seattleadgeek