“Wonderful food”

Neighbourhood: Lake Union
Seattle, wa
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Eva restaurant four times now, and it has become one of our favorite restaurants in Seattle (up there with the Dahlia Lounge, Poppy's and Tilth). It is a casual but very cozy and comfortable environment, with a hit of elegance in the white cotton table cloths and napkins. The last meal was our best, but not by much. The salad that we shared was one of the most unusual and wonderful salads we have had anywhere. We shared two entrees, a leek and potato tart made with puff pastry and risotto and dungeness crab cakes, both of which were absolutely divine. We do not eat meat of any kind, so we cannot rate their preparation of anything but vegetarian and fish entrees. I do think their vegetarian entrees are among the most creative and tasty in all of Seattle.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Rblumentjkrug

Seattle, Washington
“Very average - not a good value at all at this price point...”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

So we've given this place two tries now - both times thanks to vouchers deals. Both times we were left disappointed.

We want so very much to like this establishment...it is the perfect size, has a good ambiance, and is great location for a "hey, let's just go out tonight" sort of spot. Something nicer than Applebee's (we are both too much in the way of "foodies" to ever dine there except under duress...like at the airport between flights), but not a full on night on the town.

Alas - on both occasions however the meal left us disappointed. Don't get me wrong...the food isn't bad. It just isn't...good. I mean, when the highlight of the meal is the fresh baked bread with their specially seasoned butter...well...what does that tell you?

As I said, on both visits we were using vouchers, but even with that found the meal to be barely value appropriate. If we had paid full freight I would have to say it would be something of a rip-off, hence my comments in the title regarding it not being a good value.

This is the sort of place that many people who aren't really familiar with or lovers of food will think is just fine. It taste better than microwave food at home, better than fast food, better than Applebee's. But if you know food...if you love food....pass and save yourself the disappointment... 2.5 stars at best

• Visited February 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Great little spot in Tangletown near Greenlake”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We would never have found this place without a "Groupon". We find more gems this way. Cozy spot with a nice decor and wonderful fresh ideas on old favorites. Cloth napkins and a table clothes, yet casual and relaxed. Fresh fruit cobbler with fruit from a tree on the premises. Homemade sour cream ice cream,,,,yummy..............The food was delicious

• Visited October 2012
seattle
“Lamb burger in the bar”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This wonderful neighborhood spot (a mile from home) has a lovely sit-down, white table clothes restaurant that serves top notch food. But my choice is often to get a yummy lamb burger in the bar. Topped with a caramelized onions and a Gorgonzola mayonnaise-y sauce, it's a messy wonderful dinner. Comes with a nicely, not over-dressed salad.

And they have good wines by the glass. When I'm dining solo, this is one of my first choices. You can also get the regular menu in the bar, plus on Saturday & Sunday nights in harvest season they do a special Farmer's Market dinner that always looks good but I go back to my tried and true.

The service in the bar really varies - sometimes it's been great but other times, it's taken too long to get that second glass of wine or a check.

• Visited September 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Go ahead: YOU pronounce "Taramasalata"”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This is actually a return trip to Eva, but the first was a few years ago and I forgot to write down what we had so I couldn't very do a review from that, now could I? I do, however, remember a delicious warm cheese appetizer from back then - which brought us once again to Eva last evening...

We had a reservation but arrived early and decided to sit in the bar area. It's more low-key (no white tablecloths like the restaurant portion) and darkly cozy, which fit my mood perfectly. My friend arrived before I did (how does he always manage to do that?) and ordered a nice bottle of Chablis. We then decided to go with appetizers and desserts in lieu of any official entrees.

First up: the bread with butter and sea salt. Eva has followed the trend of some local places that dictates patrons pay for bread & butter. If they're phenomenal (Bastille offers a great paid bread & butter), I am okay with that but Eva's B&B service didn't stand out as anything amazing.

Next: Cabrales Flan with Pear Relish and Walnut Crisp. We weren't positive, but this seemed the most likely to be at least similar to the amazing warm cheese appetizer we'd enjoyed a few years back. The first order unfortunately burned while the staff was going over the night's specials, but that was fine as our server came out and apologized for the delay. We ended up ordering the parsnip soup, that that arrived while we were waiting for the flan to finish in the kitchen. Parsnip soup: creamy, light-as-air texture and light, savory goodness on the tongue. Just lovely! Cabrales flan: it seemed just a little cool, which could be just the way it was supposed to come out, or it could mean they rushed it a little since the first one had burned. Either way, it was a dense, flavor-filled circular molded round topped with a delicious, dark crimson-colored pear relish. We were glad that we'd ordered the B&B as the walnut crisp flatbread that came with the flan was not enough for us to finish the appetizer. We quickly ran out of the flatbread (it was delicious and nutty) and dove for the bread basket. The frisee salad that arrived on the plate was wonderful as well, lightly dressed with a slightly creamy, oniony dressing.

Round two: we ordered Aunt Voula's Taramasalata with Grilled Pita Bread (go ahead: YOU pronounce "Taramasalata"...I dare you) and Grilled Wild Gulf Prawns with Thai Basil & Cilantro Slaw and a Peanut-Lime Vinaigrette. Asking our server about the Taramasalata, we learned that it was a potato based dip with roe. Sounded interesting so we went for it. The Taramasalata arrived and we took our first bite. We both then looked up and said in unison: "Pureed potato salad!" Don't get me wrong, it had a wonderful flavor and the roe added a nice piquant aspect. But it seriously reminded my of my mom's potato salad, just whipped up into a frenzy. Quite good and it added a whimsical element to our dinner. The prawns were perfectly grilled and while there wasn't much vinaigrette, we dredged the prawns through it until there was no more.

Time for dessert! Loving the idea of lots of little bites, we had to try the 'Eva Trio': Muscat Wine Ice Cream Profiterole with Salted Caramel; Chocolate-Coconut Pot de Crème; Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Ice Cream. Then we spied the Coconut Cream 'Pie' with Coconut Whipped Cream and couldn't resist. The standouts of all the desserts were the ice creams, both the muscat wine flavor and the cream cheese flavor. The pot de creme was amazingly dense and velvety - it could have stood all on it's own as dessert. I was a tad disappointed at the delicateness of the coconut flavor in the coconut cream pie - let me explain. When I saw the layers of coconut in the dessert description, I was expecting to be wowed by the explosion of coconut flavor and it just wasn't there. That could simply be an issue with my expectation. Overall, it tasted more like a subtle vanilla than the warm coconut flavor I was anticipating. Good, but missing a key element.

Note on the service: overall, great attention to our table (and so friendly!) but a little slow. Caveat on that: they were very attentive to timing and kept asking us if we wanted various dishes brought out together or staggered. One example of the lag: we were working on the second round of appetizers and went ahead and ordered dessert. We figured that by the time we finished the apps, dessert would be about ready to hit the table. Not so. After we finished our apps and the table was cleared, our server then asked us if it was okay to go ahead and put in the dessert order. For us, we didn't have anywhere to go so lollygagging over our meal worked just fine. Just know to order everything and specify timing if you have somewhere to be after your meal.

Visited February 2012