“Good food with some healthy options” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #795 of 4,059 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Shoreline, Washington
“Good food with some healthy options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

It is not what my Chinese friends would call authentic, but they like it anyway. I am impressed that they are trying to add some healthy options - namely "Pat's Special" which features steamed vegetables with your choice of meat. Reasonable prices and able to accomodate large groups.

Visited May 2013

Renton, Washington
“Best Chinese Food, Servers, Owners!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

This is a restaurant I discovered many years ago, and one I still travel to for the best food around! I now live in the suburbs after moving outside Seattle when I got married. The food is always fresh and tastes wonderful. Yu Mei runs the place and you will not find a friendlier face to greet you when you are at Uptown China. After one time in her restaurant, she remembered both my name AND my mom's name as well, and now my husband-:) The restaurant is immaculate and service is great as well as friendly. Great small bar to enjoy cocktails and some great dinner if you like an intimate atmosphere. I promise you won't be sorry if you love great Chinese food.

• Visited September 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Great Way to Start Date Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Visited around 6:30 on a Friday night, and both bar & restaurant were pretty full. We were seated quickly in a nice, quiet booth. Took a few minutes to get a server, but then drinks and appetizers came quickly. The dirty martini was worth it, as were the pot stickers. But the highlight was to come ...

With our dinner order in, the owner came in and started making the rounds to all the tables, saying hello and hugging those she knew better. My boyfriend has known Yumei for years, and she was extremely warm in welcoming him and in our first meeting. In fact, she came back and chatted with us a while, shared some funny stories.

The food: honey walnut prawns -- you must order this dish. Nice plump prawns in a sweet but not too sweet sauce with corpulent walnuts. Heavenly. The sauteed green beans are also a must -- not hot but just spicy enough, crisp-tender and very flavorful. I always get almond friend chicken wherever I go -- sometimes frightening and sometimes disappointing -- but they got this dish right ... a crisp panko breading, brown gravy portioned without drowning the meat, and a generous sprinkling of almond halves. Round it out with white rice, and we're fueled and ready to take on the rest of date night.

The decor: too many Chinese restaurants are, to borrow a line from the movie "Clueless", what you'd call a "Monet" -- looks good at a distance but a big ol' mess once you get up close. However, at Uptown the furniture is solid and clean, the walls are well painted, not scratched or dinged, the art is tasteful and fresh looking, then purists can get their fill of red Chinese lanterns and stuff like that.

Quite certain my new and high regard for this place isn't borne of a martini halo effect or prior propaganda by my boyfriend, I very much look forward to going again and trying even more delightful sounding dishes from the menu.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Federal Way, Washington
“Fun Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I come here with two of my very best friends for our quarterly get togethers. We have been coming to Uptown for years and it will continue to be our first choice place to meet up. The bar service is good and the bartenders attentive. The bar area is a bit small so if you are visiting with a group or do not want to have to sit at the bar, I would suggest getting there before happy hour or waiting until the "rush" has subsided at around 7:30pm. The restaurant space is nice but we almost exclusively sit in the bar as it has great windows for people watching. As for the menu, I love their dry sauteed green beans and shrimp toast. The wonton soup is also a favorite. Point to note... they have a very limited parking lot. If you are driving, you may have to find a street spot (good luck!) or use a pay lot so factor that in when planning a visit. When in lower Queen Anne, this is worth a stop.

• Visited November 2012
sgirlie
“Our local hangout”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I know it's not the greatest chinese food in the world, but it's pretty darn good. My friends and I go here fairly often, and their lunch deal is great.

• Visited October 2012