“Outstanding service in a small package”
Review of Inn at El Gaucho

Inn at El Gaucho
Ranked #31 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Yakima, Washington
“Outstanding service in a small package”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I recently visited Seattle and decided to try a boutique hotel in Belltown. I have stayed at resorts, chains large & small, B&B's and 2 star to 5 star hotels. I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the quaint and intimate feel of this 17 room hotel in the heart of Belltown. From the moment I arrived at Valet, the staff made sure to greet me with smiles and a can do attitude. I think there are only about 17 rooms in this hotel on the second floor over one of the best restaurants in Seattle...El Gaucho. While you'd think there might be an issue being over the restaurant, but there wasn't. In fact it's awesome being so close to incredible food just steps away. The NW corner room (#17) was very large with a full plump dark leather couch & chair, HD Sat tv, Bose radio and the room dressed in warm pumpkin pie colors and a couple movie star b&w portraits. Felt like I was in Mad Men. The bed was a Queen size with the now ubiquitous plush bed linens, 7 pillows of different softness (important for the perfect head and body placement for those of us that use pillows as a science) and the down comforter under the sheets as the mattress top. The room had a peek at Puget Sound to the West which was nice to see. The bathroom amenities are top notch and not the silly mini shampoo, conditioner, body soaps a lot of hotels have where you end up fidgeting in the shower trying to open and use. They mount nice 12oz pump bottles in the shower. Oh and they leave a couple large homemade cookies upon arrival. Yummy! A great room to watch some of the Australian Open and enjoy a cold brew. Close to great shopping, Pike Place Market is 4 blocks away. Wish they had a roof top deck. Great Stay! Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cjb13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at El Gaucho for 2 nights and were pleasantly surprised. The location is great because you can walk to numerous restaurants, night spots, and Pike Place Market. I would recommend parking on the street at night and moving your vehicle in the morning. It saves you the valet parking fee of $25? per night. Room was clean and staff was friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Hi TravelBug340,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor and for choosing The Inn at El Gaucho! We are so glad to hear that you took advantage of, and enjoyed, all of the services and amenities we offer. We hope that if your travels bring you back to Seattle you will give us the opportunity to host you again so you may experience the excellent service and high quality stay we provide.

Thank you!
Sausalito, California
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was the first step of a special trip for my birthday. i had told them that when I booked a MONTH IN ADVANCE, and requested a "QUIET ROOM". My request was overlooked, as room 6 was pretty close to the 1000 decibels noise of their ice machine, and when I asked for another room, they had "sold out" those further down the hall.The machine is SO LOUD that I finally asked them if they could turn it off at 2 in the morning, and of course the answer was no.
So, I got to sleep 2 hours and had to get up at 6:30 a.m.to get the ferry. There is "piped in" music whether you want it or not, as soon as you hit the front desk and in all the rooms (I'm assuming to cover up the mechanical noise). I lived in Barcelona for years and the whole place reminded me of "Chinatown" --the red light district--in the 80's, a sort of "upscale bordello" atmosphere. Anyway, I was so tired, I fell down the stairs the next morning and sprained my ankle. The manager was there and brought me another coffee (not even the espresso I'd requested), but did not even bother to walk me to my taxi.
I was looking at hotels upon my return from Vancouver, and saw that my $146 room was then going for $102. When I questioned this with the manager, he said it was a question of supply and demand. i agree with another guest that the ethics of management are very questionable. The manager offered to send me a "voucher" for the price of my room to one of their "overpriced" restaurants, Gauche and Acqua, but curiously, the U.S. Postal Service must not be working between Seattle and San Francisco, as it has still not arrived. According to the manager, it was sent on April 8th. Today is May 7th and still no voucher.
I could go on and on, but one note that could help those who might still be considering this hotel :
It is MILES from anywhere, and not in a very good area. I was told by reception that it was "close" to the subway station when I came in from the airport, and it took me 45 mins. to arrive.
On my return to Seattle, I stayed downtown, thank goodness, and had a totally different impression of this vibrant city. If I'd only stayed at the Gaucho, in a very depressed area, I would have gone away with a very negative feeling about Seattle. I'd stay anywhere in downtown, or, if you want to be near the ferry, as I did, choose the Edgewater (they were booked when I called) or the Marriott.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any "good rooms", but as far away as possible from the ICE M...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 33037Kathleen
El Gaucho S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for taking time to write and give us your feedback about your recent visit with us, even though it sounds like we more than missed the mark with your expectations. It is only with feedback from our guests, like you, that we can improve.

We did take your request for a quiet room to heart, which is why we placed you in Room #6, as we've never had noise complaints from that room. While we had other rooms to offer to you, unfortunately, none of what was available that evening were better substitutes to help with the particular situation of the ice machine. If we had turned off the ice machine, we'd be dealing with about 200 pounds of melted ice, so unfortunately, this was not a real option for us. We are working on the machine to remedy the noise situation. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

We are also extremely sorry about your fall the next morning. While we offered assistance to the taxi, we will be more insistent with guests in the future for us to escort down the stairs. It's our policy to offer assistance to all guests with their luggage, and we will review the policies with our team.

We have in good faith sent you two vouchers to try to remedy this situation, and it frustrates us that you have not received them, as they have not been returned. If you would please verify your mailing address with us again, we will send them certified post.

Again, we are sorry that you did not experience the level of service and comfort we strive to provide to every guest. We hope that you'll consider giving us another chance the next time your travels bring you to Seattle.
Washougal, Washington
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This is a nice, cozy little hotel just above the El Gaucho restaurant in Belltown. The rooms are well maintained and very clean. It's very cute with a nice sitting area and fireplace lobby. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This was a weekend getaway for my husband and me and it fit the bill perfectly!! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
El Gaucho S, General Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear JDpanplayer,

Thank you for your 5-star review of your recent stay with us! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed a true INN at El Gaucho experience. We strive to deliver unparalleled service and accommodations to our guests, and always appreciate hearing feedback on the experience.

We hope to see you again next time you're staying in Seattle.

Cheers!

David Shapland
Manager
Leavenworth, Washington, United States
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I've been bumped from a flight, but never a hotel. But that is what happened when my husband and I arrived at the El Gaucho Inn on a rainy Thursday afternoon. Initially, we were told that the hotel had overbooked, then the story changed to that the person in our room who was to check out had refused to leave. The more the hotel clerk tried to explain why we did not have a room, the less I believed her. The more I thought about this, the more ludicrous it sounded. If a person has not reserved a room and refuses to leave, they are trespassing and you call the authorities to remove them. You don't arbitrarily decide not to honor a standing reservation to accomodate the person who is not following hotel policy. This is not the way to run any hotel and I highly question the ethics and business practices of hotel management.
We were given another comparable room in a comparable hotel (it was neither), but it did not make up for the fact that we had to carry all our luggage back downstairs, drive a mile away, find parking again and unload, again, in the rain. Also, we were no longer within walking distance to the venue we planned to go to that night (more driving and more parking downtown).
The more I think about it, the more I think management decided to do someone a favor and did so at our expense. If I ever reserve at this hotel again, I will call ahead that day to ensure management has not allowed my room to be 'hijacked' by another customer.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation the day of arrival.
3 Thank 658TopCat658
El Gaucho S, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear 658TopCat658,

We truly apologize that this situation occurred, as this is no fun for anyone, and it does not display the level of service that we like to offer. Under Washington state law we are not allowed to remove a guest's belongings from a room. We tried numerous times to contact the guest, who was supposed to be checking out earlier that day, to no avail. Therefore, we had to go to plan B, which is to find a comparable room at a nearby hotel. This is a standard procedure for any hotel. We did everything in our power to make accommodations for a bad situation, and we're sorry that we weren't able to create a better outcome for you. We do everything in our power to avoid situations like this, and we understand your frustration, and we are sorry. We hope to have the opportunity in the near future to show you a remarkable stay next time you're in Seattle.
Fircrest, Washington
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed only one night and it was mid-week. Our stay was very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The decor is sort of 30's art deco, relax but sophisticated. The room was large and well appointed (looked as appeared in photos). The things that really mattered to us; immaculately clean, fresh baked cookies in our room, easy to make hot beverages in the room, hot strong shower, free internet, Bose music system, fairly quiet (considering that we were on the street side),and the location is great! We walked down the hill for a run along the water in the morning, and were very close to numerous restaurants and coffee shops. Advise use of the valet parking, it's not cheap but it is easier than trying to find it elsewhere and you know your car is safe. You can take you car as often as you like, but we find that you don't need to because you can walk. We would definitely stay here again and recommend the El Gaucho Inn to our friends.

2 Thank Sherry J
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Sherry,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We always love hearing from our guests, and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Inn at El Gaucho. It sounds like you took advantage of our great location and amenities. We look forward to seeing you again.

Cheers!
Camano Island, Washington
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is a hotel that sits over the restaurant of the same name. One of the finest eating establishments in Seattle. The location is great if you need to be near downtown Seattle. Everything is within easy walking distance. The rooms are renovated in an older building and they did a nice job. The rooms are also a little over sized making them feel more like a suite. This establishment is not for anyone who cannot handle a full flight of stairs. No elevator. Not the most elegant place in Seattle but a great value for the price they request. They also have valet parking which is good at a reasonable rate.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family