“Boutique Hotel feel, but lacked the service expected”
Review of Inn at El Gaucho

Inn at El Gaucho
Ranked #31 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
“Boutique Hotel feel, but lacked the service expected”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Hotel room was very well furnished, and spacious. The bathroom was a bit outdated and cramped. Nice leather furniture and desk in the closet. I was just a bit surprised at the amount of waiting I had to do in order to check in and check out. I'd stay here again, would just ask for a bit more responsiveness from the staff. I didn't see options for breakfast either, but there was quite a bit of stuff around that I was able to find something nice.

Room Tip: Look for a room that faces the water. The street view is not favorable.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This is a great hotel - perfect location to walk downtown, to Pike Place Market, any city tour and shops. Lots ofgreat restaurants inthe area too. The staff are friendly and helpful. Our room is small but the bed was really comfy, they have free wi-fi, tea and coffee in the room and cable (if you want to spend your time watching tv!?). Valet parking is $25/night. We woud stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Hi Samantha!

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay at The Inn at El Gaucho! We love hearing from our guests and we're so glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities that our inn provides, as well as the proximity to great places around Seattle. We know you have many hotel options when traveling, and we appreciate you choosing us. We would love to have you stay with us again next time your travels bring you to Seattle.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed one night and chose this hotel because it sounded boutiquey and was only a short 5 min walk to Pier 69 where the Victoria Clipper docks.

The building has not curb appeal, but once upstairs in the lobby, there is indeed a chic feel as a previous reviewer mentioned.

Very welcoming front desk staff who show you to your room. You are greeted in your room with a personalized welcome card. Nice touch :)

Beds and towels were dreamy.

No complaints. Everything was nicely done.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Classy, upscale meets value. I wasn't expecting much from the outside appeal, but once I arrived upstairs to the lobby, there is a chic hipster vibe. I continued to be pleasantly surprised, when I opened the door to my room and the decor and quality continued to be above my expectations. And to boot the staff was great and I was in walking distance to shopping, restaurants along with everything on my itinerary. Food great also.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Hi cengland05,

Thank you so much for your feedback and review of your recent visit to the Inn at El Gaucho! We know you have many choices of places to stay while traveling, and we thank you for staying with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the decor and quality of amenities we offer, as well as the location.

We hope the next time your travels bring you to Seattle, we will have the opportunity to see you again.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at el Gaucho, located directly above the popular Argentinian restaurant of the same name.
The hotel is older, with large suite like rooms. The rooms are very comfortable, as is the bedding. There is an evening wine reception in the lobby, which was enjoyable.
The staff was friendly, and went out of their way to offer suggestions for good neighborhood bakeries and diners for breakfast, of which there are several good ones.
The real only drawback is the lack of a passenger elevator, meaning you will climb about 34 steps to enter the hotel. Some might find this an obstacle.
The Belltown neighborhood is definitely up and coming, with lots of construction ongoing. There is no shortage of great restaurants within walking distance. You are also only a few blocks walk to the waterfront, the Space Needle or downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbqbill
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for two nights at the Inn at El Gaucho during a road trip along parts of the West Coast and despite a few issues enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly and personable but lacked the professionalism of a larger hotel. I like less formal interaction so that didn't bother me though.

When arriving at the hotel parking was an issue but the valet allowed us to leave our vehicle in the drop off location while we checked-in. Once checked-in getting our bags into the hotel was challenging. The hotel is on the second floor and there's no elevator. As we were on a long road trip we had a tonne of gear to haul up as we didn't want to leave valuables in the car and it was awkward.

We were put in room 19 which I would recommend against. It's at the front of the hotel which gives a view of the street but also the noise that comes with it. Even worse though is that it's right next to the front desk and lobby and you hear everything. They must have a closet or something in the front desk area and we could hear the door opening and closing. I think they should remove that door. You can hear everything in the lobby and when the door is open there's a clear view into the room from the lobby. I can live with all that but during our stay we had an additional problem with the air conditioner. It worked fine but would randomly make a strange noise that would jolt us out of sleep. It wasn't consistent so you'd lay there and wait for it to happen again and it wouldn't and just as you were about to fall asleep the noise would return. It was torture. We thought about unplugging the air conditioner but the fan in the room wouldn't turn on. By 3am we couldn't take it anymore and complained to the front desk and they were able to put us in another room. Unfortunately the air conditioner in that room did the same thing but at least the fan in the room worked so we unplugged the a/c and got what sleep we could. The next day the hotel did bring in an air conditioner repair guy and the problem was absent the next night.

The hotel is not in a new building which could contribute to the mechanical problems and noise issues but I liked the ambiance. To me, it felt like an old movie theatre or something.

We elected to use the valet service for our vehicle during our stay as it seemed like the best option. The hotel could probably have used at least one extra person on staff though as getting our vehicle back meant the guy behind the desk had to run and get it from somewhere. We also weren't able to ask for it early and leave it out front for a few minutes while we lugged all our stuff back down the stairs to the car.

There's a restaurant downstairs which looked good and seems to get good reviews but appeared to be insanely overpriced. There are lots of other good options that are only a short walk away though.

The beds were both comfortable but like so many other hotels they don't use fitted sheets on the bed. I know why they don't but I find it annoying to wake up with the bottom sheet no longer covering the mattress. Each room had a Keurig with a variety of options which I prefer over the small coffee makers.

Aside the from the lack of sleep our first night we enjoyed the hotel and liked its location. I'm not sure if we'd return or try something new the next time we're in Seattle but I think it's a good option. If it hadn't been for that sleepless first night I would have given a 4 and if it hadn't been for the friendliness of the staff I would have given it a 2.

Room Tip: Room 19 is off the lobby and very noisy. Interior rooms only look into an extremely small courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wiscad
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at Inn at El Gaucho, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. We always appreciate hearing from our guests about their experience with us, as it only helps us to improve. We are sorry that you had trouble with the noise, from both the lobby and the air conditioner. Guest comfort is of utmost importance and while we're glad we could accommodate you in a different room that evening, we want all of our guests to have a good night's rest. The AC's have been working overtime in Seattle this summer and we try to stay on top of the maintenance as best we can. We have also started scheduling another person in the morning to help with valet and baggage.

We know you have many hotel options when traveling, and we certainly appreciate you choosing us on your recent visit. We hope to serve you again the next time your travels bring you to Seattle.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I can't say enough good this about this place. Normally I am the type of person who opts to stay at a chain hotel but since my wife and I were attending a private party across the street from the Inn at El Gaucho, I decided to book a Saturday night there mainly for proximity reasons. Am I ever glad I did. This small hotel on the second floor above the El Gaucho restaurant is a hidden gem in my mind. The staff was very friendly, the room immaculate and nicely furnished, but it were the personal touches that won me over. Examples are a hand written, personalized letter in out room at check-in thanking use for choosing them and freshly baked cookies (made that very same morning) for us to nibble on placed in the room. The beds was extremely comfortable and despite facing the street from our room ( room number 1) it was very quiet. The price is certainly competitive with other downtown Seattle places and you won't regret staying some place different. Be sure to visit the restaurant downstairs. Unfortunately we didn't have time for dinner but we popped in for a drink at the bar and had a nice chat with the bartender. Great specialty drinks as well by the way!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of the Inn at El Gaucho! We know you have many options of places to stay while traveling, and we appreciate that you chose us while in Seattle. We are glad to hear that everything was to your liking and satisfaction, and that you appreciate the personalized service and amenities we offer as a boutique hotel. We hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to Seattle.