“It was Nice, but nothing to write home about.”
Review of Inn at El Gaucho

Inn at El Gaucho
Ranked #26 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 28 December 2010

The pictures on the website are much nicer. First, it's rather nondescript, and we weren't sure where to park to get into the hotel. Then, there's no elevator. The views of the sound were partial, and shared with a warehouse. The service was nice, but it was a bit difficult to find someone to get our car from the valet parking. The room was spacious and clean. You can tell it wasn't so swell before, but they've done a nice job fixing it up. The color on the TV was off due to someone not plugging the right cords in to the correct holes. The heating/cooling system was very complex to operate... we have three college degrees between the two of us and had trouble getting our room warm.

The bedding was excellent, but the pillows were overly fluffy and it was difficult to sleep. The room was quiet. The location of the room was excellent in walking distance of Denny Triangle, harbor, and Pikes Place Market. For the price, I would like to see a hotel offer more ammenities to lure in a customer in. When other hotels in the downtown area offer free brekfast, parking, ect. I believe we'll try out other places before we would consider staying again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 November 2010

The hotel is fine, a bit rustic as the building is probably built 80+ years ago, but fine, solid and clean. The entrance is next to the restaurant, a short walk up stairs to the lobby. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is in a sketchy part of town with cars racing up and down the streets until the bars close, doesn't make for a restful stay. I would avoid the restaurant. There is no value, and a pervasive attitude of superiority that I just don't understand. There are 3-4, other expense account steak houses w/in Seattle that offer the same quality, at more reasonable prices, without the attitude. My wife and I were dressed casually so we thought that we'd sit in the bar and have dinner there. Happy hour was on so we ordered several small plates off of that menu, as well as a couple of rounds of $15.00 Martini's. The bill came to around $120.00 with food/bar about a 50/50 split. When we were ready to pay, I chose to use two $50.00 dollar gift cards that I had received as a thank you for a recent charitable contribution. As one waitress, not our waiter, was passing by she remarked that we could not use these to pay since we ordered from the happy hour menu. I am not sure of the rational, I can only presume that the cards were purchased in bulk for a discount, and they feel as though to use them during happy hour we were double dipping. But come on 15 bucks a drink, and 8 for a burger, the margin is there, don't get greedy, remember you're in the hospitality industry. The next day, I re-gifted the cards to a homeless gent a couple of blocks from the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank THW_777
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I chose The Inn at El Gaucho because it was a 20 minute walk from the Convention Center, which was where I was going to be spending my daytime hours and I wanted a reason to keep up with my daily walks. I'm so, so glad I did!

I absolutely love the decor, which I guess you could say was sort of retro funky. My bed was really wonderful and everything about my room was clean and kept clean every day. Even though my windows were above the busy street, the sound was easily blocked by closing the windows at night - and I'm a light sleeper!

The staff was helpful and kind. All around.

I would look forward to staying here again. Close to everything and unique. Great view of the Space Needle from my bed!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Like trying new things, this hotel is very unique! Very clean, modern, and great location! Only thing I disliked, no breakfast!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Had a girls night out, had a great dinner and enjoyed the stay. Room was nice, clean, comfortable bed, helpful staff, I just some how expected a little more. I guess I had over the top expectations of the inn, the room was nice but nothing special. As for the dining experience in Seattle, great for people watching but it was really loud, I think Tacoma has a much better atmosphere and the food is just a tad better.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Very nice staff, we were welcomed and walked to our room with lights turned on for us. We enjoyed the masculine decor and the location was great for going out on a Saturday night. I would have stayed here again if it hadn't been for the "rainfall showerhead" the site spoke so highly of. It took me almost 45 min to rinse the soap off due to the poor shower pressure. I really did feel like I was showering in the rain...running around trying to catch every drop.

Very sorry to say I will not stay again, my husband and I had high hopes.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sbyrum_10
Reviewed 16 November 2009

The location of this stylish small hotel is perfect to get out and explore the Belltown neighbourhood. The dimly lit reception and hand written keycard holder straight away gave me a feel of being at home, no hassle, no bright lights and no name badges.
There is a cinema in the basement of the building and the warm smell of popcorn pervaded the building. My room (No. 6) had a cool picture of James Dean on the wall and there was a comfortable sofa and armchair to read in, watch TV from, or listen to the BOSE wave radio/CD player. Great desk/workspace concealed behind folding doors, L'Occitane soaps and shower gels in the bathroom and finally the bed. The most comfortable bed i have ever slept in. And all this above one of the Northwests best steakhouses.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business