“Like the venue, but...lose the 'tude, please?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Showbox

Showbox
Ranked #11 of 216 Nightlife in Seattle
Seattle, Washington, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Like the venue, but...lose the 'tude, please?”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

It's a great room. A landmark. I see great bands. What I can't stand is that it always seems to come with either a crap drink from a jerk bartender, or a good drink, but a rude security person. This time, it was both.

I was last here to see some friends play, and costumes were welcome, it was right after Halloween.

Cool. Fun. Yes, bands before my friends were good.

BUT.

There was then the second drink that had no vodka, which I had paid for. When I mentioned this, the dude said no way, he put it in, and moved away to wait on someone else. I walked off a bit miffed, because I paid how much for just cranberry and soda?? Friends tasted it, agreed it was "virgin."

I went back up. Dude was not happy. Debated me. Then took the drink, dumped it with drama, and made another, while making huge gestures as in "WATCH ME SEE HERE IS VODKA" and in general being condescending.

I won't even describe the security gal incident that happened a bit later. Aside from one gal tending bar, and maybe one bouncer out of several, everyone there seems to hate being there, or likes being there but hates dealing with actual patrons - which is their job. Or something. They're just so unimpressed, in general. Stop it, Seattle. It's not funny any more.

Listen; I know we all have bad days, and maybe you've dealt with some jerk patrons, but it'd be nice if you stop blaming the rest of us who're trying to be COOL, and stop acting like you're doing me such a d*mn favor to serve me a helping of attitude. Seriously. You're not hip, just sad.

I'd love to give the place full stars, but I just can't. The service affects the overall enjoyment. Maybe just stop having booze and food, and let bands play, then you' won't have to deal with it, eh? I want to love you, I really do. You're getting in your own way.

Visited October 2013

washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Showbox Sodo concert”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Took my daughter and 2 friends to see Bullet for my valentine and black veil brides. Would have been great if it weren't for all the phones,tablets and small video cameras being held up constantly and blocking the view of stage. Must be a generation gap thing. One of the girls twisted her ankle and the staff was very helpful at having their EMT look at it,and place ice on it. They wheeled her out to my car and helped her get in. The help was much appreciated. I'm not interested in going to concert if can't see the stage but the girls didn't seem to mind and did enjoy seeing their favorite group. Parking lot so not level and attendant tries to make you park like 4 inches from car next to you. Won't park there again as I would rather not have my car scratched or dinged. But if you are desperate it is always an option.

Visited September 2013
Seattle
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A little rough around the edges”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Saw a concert there. Nice sized venue, so you're close enough to the band, but its laid out a little weirdly, so the seating in the back is too low and as soon as the people in front stand up you can't really see much.. they also need more restrooms, kind of a hassle fighting through the main part of the crowd to get to teh restrooms..
Lots of beer/drink locations.

Visited June 2013
Redmond, Washington
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Down to Earth Venue!”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Love that it's gritty, grimy and old! They feature a variety of acts and if you look on their wall, many famous performers have performed there. It's a small venue (maybe holds 500?) but that's what so great about this place. You can stand right up to the stage, if you wish or have a few drinks in their lounge area. We've seen Robin Trower, Paul Simon (yes, the other half of Garfunkel), St Etinnee and most recently Camera Obscura. Ticket prices reasonable, almost as much as the parking lot prices but still...if you see an act you're in too, don't hesitate to see them at the Showbox. Only downer is the neighborhood, it is 1st Avenue.

Visited June 2013
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Showbox at the Market”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

i went there to a concert to see Fabolous and Pusha T. It was nice sized and the staff was great. Their are two bars located on each side of the stage and are conveinent. Since this was an all ages event you must drink in the bar and the staff gaurded the bars very carfeully. I was able to get up close to the performers and the sound and equipment were great. Overall my experience here was amazing and I can't wait to attend another concert.

Visited May 2013