“Sketchy location, mean-spirited headliner”
Review of Comedy Underground

Comedy Underground
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband bought a Living Social deal for this venue and we were-at first- pleased with the value- two tickets for the show and an appetizer for $20. This would have been a great deal if we hadn't walked out during the headliner's portion of the show. But let's start at the beginning.

As mentioned in other reviews, the location of Comedy Underground is in a very unsafe-seeming and sketchy part of Pioneer Square. We arrived at a little after 10 and left at around midnight. I would categorize this locale as a place I'd NOT like to be at night.

We were told to arrive at 10 when we called earlier that day. It's really not necessary to arrive early, since we were not allowed to go downstairs until 10:30 anyway. We did get some drinks at the bar and some food. The food was OK, nothing special. My husband had two different types of draft beers and said both of them tasted flat. I had two margaritas. They were OK. The bartender was nice and attentive to all patrons at the bar.

When we went down to the basement and sat down, a waitress took our drink and food order quickly. I switched to bottled beer, which was GREAT. I would definitely recommend this over draft beer or mixed drinks. We had chicken quesadillas, which were OK.

The first few comedians and the host were funny! I enjoyed them.

Then came the headliner, Eddie Ifft. He may have a very funny routine, but I didn't get a chance to see it. He spent the first 20-30 minutes of his time onstage completely ridiculing and *threatening* several members of the audience. There was a group of girls celebrating a bachelorette party. They were cheering and laughing and seemed to be having a great time-- until Mr. Ifft started yelling at them, accusing them of heckling him (they weren't), and brought one of the women onstage. She eventually ran back to her seat when he kept her up there for about 10 minutes as he said horrible things to THE BRIDE. This poor girl who was out to have a good time with her friends got completely bullied by Eddie Ifft. He made several mean-spirited and unprovoked insults and told her that her mother should have aborted her-- this was completely uncalled for and NOT funny. Then when one of the girls said, "Please, go back to your routine!" Mr. Ifft refused and decided to have the audience "Booo" this large group of girls out of the show. When another patron (male) tried to defend the girls Ifft threatened the man repeatedly. He said, "I will f***ng strangle you!!" Keep in mind-- none of this was funny or said in a light, playful tone. This was a completely tense and out-of-control situation. It was just awful to be a witness to the hateful tone of the comedian.

The girls did end up leaving, as did myself, my husband, and a few other couples, completely unrelated to the group. So about 20 people walked out during the headliner. That's not a good sign for a business.

When we left we talked to the bar managers upstairs. One of them said that she wished she'd been downstairs to settle things down when it happened. She gave us coupons to give to our friend who lives in Seattle.

My husband and I have seen comedy shows in several venues across the US (NY, NC, Vegas), but we have never seen this kind of hate on stage. For this reason I would not recommend or return to Comedy Underground in Seattle.

4  Thank Sarah W

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The crowd who comes to hear the comedians are just as much fun as the comedians themselves. Decent drinks and appetizers at GREAT prices. We will definitely stop at this place each time we visit Seattle.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The position of the venue is very good, in the heart of Pioneer square. The place is practically an old basement with some tables, so nothing impressing. They said that there is a 2 drink minimum for the show but if you don't want to nobody will bother you. The room is pretty small so you don't have to arrive early for better seats. Good service. Small beer selection. From all the 5 comedians the last two, Jim Short and Chris Moran were pretty good. I would recommend it if you're not to picky and like this kind of shows.

1  Thank mprica
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Had a great time watching some great comics for the finals of the comedy fest. It is was very tight with no elbow room but that was because of the event being so popular. Service at the show was good and earlier in the day was good too.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had a great time at CU and the headline act had us rolling! The warm up acts were decent but the headliner was very funny. We ended up ordering drinks and a plate of nachos and my friend sent his margarita back because it tasted like vanilla extract but seemed to have no alcohol and the guacamole we ordered with our nachos was absolutely awful. If you order drinks, I'd stick to the wine and beer and skip the mixed drinks and food. I loved that before the show started they play silent movies against the wall. I would go again, but would be sure to eat before going.

1  Thank ACDSeattle