“Great down home vegan food”
Review of Wayward Cafe

Wayward Cafe
Ranked #258 of 4,250 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$3 - US$9
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Bellevue
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Wonderful, filling, flavorful food without animals in it! What could be better? I love this place! I had the philly sandwich and it was marvelous and enough to last the rest of the day! Good prices, great food and right across the street from sidecar for Pigs Peace!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

After searching around for vegan restaurants to visit for our first trip to Seattle my husband and I were so excited to try this place out - the huge menu alone was enough to convince us when we walked in that we made the right choice! They have every type of breakfast food you can think of all veganized plus a good assortment of lunch and dinner options. I ended up ordering the vegan crunchwrap supreme and my husband got the club sandwich with fries. The food came out really quick and was delicious! The crunchwrap may have been a bit thick for my liking with a little too much fake crumbled meat, but I happily switched with my husband to the club and was in heaven. This is a bus your own table kind of place, but it was so worth it! We also ended up trying mozzarella wedges from there and some buffalo tofu. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I took the trip out to Wayward Cafe after talking to a staffer at Left Bank Books (the anarchist bookshop near Pike Market!). My hubby and I were looking for suggestions for places a vegan and a meat eater could both be happy and it wouldn't cost a million bucks. (We were staying in a downtown hotel, surrounded by very expensive places without much to offer for vegans) She recommended Wayward Cafe, which is open daily until 4 pm. We stopped by yesterday and even though it was an all-vegan spot, my meat-eating husband was satisfied. For $20 we had two filling entrees. I don't remember the names of the entrees we got - but one was a toast with gravy and greens. we liked this a lot. We also got a breaded/fried fake chicken thing with biscuits and fries. We liked the biscuits quite a bit. It was worth a visit and I know if I lived in Seattle, I would go there again.

Reviewed 25 May 2011

My husband and I stopped at this place on our final day in Seattle, and boy are we glad we did. Had we stopped by sooner, we would have gone more than once, no doubt. The place was packed (always a good sign).

We grabbed menus by the door, decided on what to order, made our way to the cash register where we ordered and picked up a "number" to place on our table. Be warned, you will have to stand around waiting for someone to be finished with their table (everyone buses their own table) before you can sit.

Coffee, water, napkins, silverware are all self-serve. When you order/pay there is a place on the receipt for a tip, so you essentially have to tip before you've had any service. They do bring the food to your table though. And boy is it good. I hope the entire kitchen splits the tips.

Dave ordered the "Country Bumpkin" (smile) - Open-faced herb biscuit (to die for) topped with tofu scramble and country-style sausage gravy, with a side of steamed greens with garlic. This was a large plate of food and was really tasty. I was only allowed two bites, and I am still thinking about the biscuit. There was plenty of sausage in the gravy, and the tofu was well flavored and plentiful.

I had The Warlock a sandwich on sourdough with- crispy fried chiggen (I think this was tofu - it was CRISPY and DELICIOUS) with a chipotle-tahini sauce and a side of fries. The sauce was really yummy, and again, the chiggen was so much better than I had even hoped for. The fries were fresh out of the fryer and lightly crisp.

They serve breakfast and lunch fare during their open hours. They close early (4pm), so plan accordingly. Many different types of people were eating when we were there on a Saturday, young and old alike.

Aside from the initial confusion about how it all worked, I really enjoyed the experience and the food, and we will be back the next time we are in Seattle. Check out Pizza Pi too, they are across the street and also delicious. The University District has many options for vegan dining.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

What can I say? We've been here repeated times and things are pretty consistent - Good down-home VEGAN food at great prices, fairly helpful staff (you bus your own tables) and reliable service (this isn't a fast-food joint, don't expect your meal in five minutes, but I've never waited over long either). The atmosphere is funky-college-student-dive sorta hang out. Not bad though.
The food is probably the reason you'll come here though. Vegan food! And a wide variety of tasty choices. The sandwiches, burgers, salads, tempeh and fried "chiggen" tofu are completely awesome, all fresh, and completely, wonderfully delicious!!! Their fries and hashbrowns are the best I've had. This is NOT vegan "health food", but crispy, breaded, deep fried, salty, greasy diner style eats that we all crave once in a while.
However, the soup is from a can (or box?) so don't order that, you can get the same thing at the grocery store.
I don't know if I'm picky or not ordering what others do though, as their breakfasts have yet to impress me. The tofu scramble tastes like salt and too much turmeric, the french toast is gummy and overly sweet with the bread dry and stale in the middle. Gravy for biscuit-n-gravy is overly thick like paste, tastes 'flour-y" and salty. Sorry Wayward, I really WANT to like your breakfasts, as it seems everyone but me does!
Don't let that chase you off though!! Otherwise, everything else is awesome and totally worth coming back for, vegan or not.

NOTE: They have moved, the address listed above may or may not be correct. They are in a newer location, address: 5253 University Way NE, Seattle. Google with this address if you haven't been before.

Been to Wayward Cafe? Share your experiences!