“Best of the West (Seattle): A Friendly Oddity”
Review of Chittenden House

Chittenden House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
Chittenden House
Ranked #18 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Bordentown, New Jersey
“Best of the West (Seattle): A Friendly Oddity”
Reviewed 30 July 2007

I visited this B&B as part of a weekend interlude in Seattle in the midst of a business trip (to Moscow,Idaho, and Lincoln, Nebraska...don't ask!). I was actually visiting a colleague who lives near Alki Point and who values his night time and morning personal space so much that he pays for visitors stays in local lodging. He was the person who selected this great place.

The conventional solution, you see, is the local Travel Lodge in West Seattle (3512 SW Alaska St) or a hotel in the less readily accessed downtown Seattle. My host had used this hotel with no prior complaints from his non-paying guests but was dismayed when he read its Trip Advisor reviews in preparation for my visit. This lead him to tour the various alternatives in West Seattle that are near his home. I suspect the view of the Puget Sound from the toilet for the Jungle Room (the one in which I was to reside and which sits on the north side of the second floor) was what sold him on the place.

The owner (and I'm sorry I don't remember her name) is a Boeing employee. She runs things on weekends with her dog Sable. Her mother (forget her name too) runs things weekdays. Both cook up a wonderful breakfast! On Sunday, the breakfast fare was an apple coffeecake ("pan cake" is what she called it). I didn't enjoy much of it because I was being hosted to brunch at Seattle's famous Ivar's along the waterfront. But I did chow down on eggs, bacon, and toast before casting off early on Monday AM. In fact, I should mention that as an East Coaster I came down at 7 AM pronto each day to get that first cup of coffee, and the pot was always ready and waiting! I had full access to the day's Seattle Post-Intelligencer too!!

Now, I did find out that the current owner cannot take any credit for the "froo-froo" interior decor. I must say that there seemed to be somewhat of a mismatch between her personality and the decor. The leopard-pattern rug in the Jungle Room was a bit much and some of the wallpaper framed in molding on the ceilings throughout the B&B was a bit overkill. A peek at the ceiling in the Castle Room immediately revealed the origins of its name--it has a hand-painted mural of a castle on the ceiling. I did not get to see the Evergreen Room, which is essentially in the basement of the building, but I understand that , unlike the other two guest rooms, it has a partial kitchen too.

In any case, I wish I had more time to talk with the owner and he mother, but I was visiting my Seattle hosts afterall!

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mikelahr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)