The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Marina del Rey, California
“Loved This Hotel”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I really loved this hotel. It is in downtown Seattle, so yes there are some homeless people. It is in walking distance of the Seattle Public Library, the waterfront area and Pike Place. Our room was so cute! I felt like I was in the 1920s except the rooms inside were modernized. I liked that is wasn't just like every other hotel. I did think the maid service was good but they took their time getting to our room. We did not have a car because I figured in a downtown area of a major city it would be a big hassle. We just walked everywhere and we did take a taxi to the Space Needle. The front desk staff was very accommodating when we asked them questions. There was a rehearsal dinner and a wedding the weekend when we were there - the banquet room upstairs is very beautiful. We had breakfast downstairs in Juno the last day and it was very good.

Room Tip: Probably the further up you go the better the view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I don't usually do reviews, but I absolutely love this place! Terrific hotel, classy, very friendly and helpful front desk staff, and great size rooms. I don't see how the review below is so negative. The rooms are clean, and it isn't meant to be a contemporary hotel. That is what makes it unique! I will be back my next time to Seattle!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
LA
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I dont bother writing reviews. But then again I rely on them alot when booking hotels, vacations etc. So I thought I should do my part on this one. Just stayed at the hotel 2 nights ago. Booked using Hotwire. So didnt know the hotel till I paid. Read reviews and thought they were decent and thought I should give it a try. Drove there:
1) For starters the hotel is located in a shubby area of seattle. Alot of homeless people strolling the streets. Not what I expected. There is no parking either you park on the streets or pay around $17/night to park in nearby lots. Street parking is free from 8pm-8am. But remember, the area has alot of dodgy people so didnt bother taking a chance to park on streets. Valet parking is offered at $43/night, OUCH!
2) Hotel is very retro(not my kind of thing). Very dark. Very 30's style if thats the kind of style you like. Furniture, carpets and suites are very very dated. Room sizes are decent. Lower floors are noisy(1st-4th). Rooms are dusty. Curtains are old. Oh... dont help yourself to the pack of candies, chips etc in your room, thats at an extra cost and they dont tell you at the front desk. They also dont tell you that 2 papers will be delivered at your door each morning at a cost of $0.75/each unless you opt out. But how can you opt out if you dont know of it?
3) No microwave. Fridge is filled with stuff but at an extra cost. Kettle, tea and coffee provided at no cost( thats good!).
4)We were there when the weather was a bit cold. Switched on the heater and fan. Alot of dust from the fan so if you're allergic to dust, not ideal. Carpets and Curtains seem not to have been clean for months.
4)Price? Well overall, with taxes and the lot, I paid $155.00/night. For that price I expected a bit of luxury than what I got. Didnt even bother to visit Juno restaurant or the Gym as I got the gist of the style of the hotel from the rooms and the lobby(Old style), not my thing.

Since the hotel looked dated I was afraid it might have bedbugs. I flipped the matress and check and I was pleased to see that there wasn't any. But I wouldnt have been suprised had I found some.

Would I go back to this hotel again? Most definitely NOT. But for those who like to go back in time, give it a try. I've stayed in worse hotels/motels than this, so it would be unfair for me to say that its a bad hotel. Its just not my taste.

5) Staff. The staff, on the other hand, were excellent. I cant fault them. They were kind and helpful. Very good people. I would go back only for that reason!

Thats my two cents!

Room Tip: Choose rooms above 4th floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Code G
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I don't even know where to start! We tried to check in an hour early, room wasn't ready in fact they were "overbooked" (they tried to blame it on Expedia, even though they had a wedding booked in that evening) . They gave us a room with a king size bed (for the four of us, hubby and two teenagers), and said they would send up one cot (obviously they guy didn't know how to count)! Then offered us a warm cookie...no apologies, just a cookie!
When we finally got to check in a couple hours later we had to request another cot and try to jam two of these "cots" in this little room, it was like playing frogger just to maneuver around.
The bathroom had no towels in it, had to phone the front desk to get some, the alarm clock was preset for 5 a.m. and so was the room beside us, yes, the walls are that thin.
We parked on the same street as the hotel for the night (parking is $40). The valet said it was safe and there were camera's outside and security 24 hrs. and they never have any problems. Well, our truck was broken into and when we told the front staff they said, and I quote, "oh that's too bad, I'm sorry, would you like a cookie"! Seriously, A COOKIE!!!!!!
The hotel itself is nice, just very old! The rooms are stuffy and musty smelling (the building is after all 100 yrs. old). The front desk attendants were useless, unless of course you wanted a cookie!
If I'm going to spend over $200 a night it will NEVER be at any Hilton establishment again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Michelle P. -

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at our hotel. I was disappointed to learn of the frustrations you had during your visit.

I have spoken with the Market Manager for Hotwire whom you booked your room though, and they indicated that there was not a guaranteed room type for your reservation which is typical with most all rooms booked on Hotwire, they do not have the ability to guarantee any type of room (one bed, two beds, etc.) to a customer that books through their service. The hotel was very full the evening of your stay, and our team provided you with the best available type of room that we had that evening. I apologize if Hotwire did not make this very clear upon booking, but I have passed along your feedback to them.

I am also sorry to hear that your vehicle was broken into on the city street during the night. We do offer valet parking in a secure garage for $41 per night (inlclusive of tax). The hotel does not have a garage on sight, and we lease space in a local garage. We regularly compare our pricing to that of our competitors and I think you would find it is very competitive with most hotels in downtown Seattle.

Since our hotel was transformed 4 years ago from a historic building into a brand new hotel, we have strived to ensure each and every guest has an exceptional experience with us. We also received your comment card and will be contacting you directly to discuss this and the other unfortunate issues you experienced during your stay. I apologize and hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

Warm Regards,

Jeff Gouge
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Terrific hotel! First time in Seattle; walking distance to Pioneer Square, the waterfront, and the Pike Place Market. Classy 1920s decor in the hotel. Polar Bar was incredibly retro with old-school cocktails and absinthe! Loved it! Will definitely stay here again when next in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
encinitas
Reviewed 27 June 2012

What a great place to stay in Seattle. Near everything, either by light rail or walk. In fact the light rail stop at pioneer square is right across from Hotel, so you can take all the way from the airport. Light rail also gets you to Safeco field. Lobby very charming big and very comfortable. The Polar Bar gives it more atmosphere. Rooms very nice. quiet for most part. Nothing but a great experience with hotel, staff and food at Juno is very good. Im going back when I return to Seattle!

Hawaii
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Really nice place! Only complaint...needs updated fitness room.