“V-day at the Arctic”

Ranked #25 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Eugene, Oregon
“V-day at the Arctic”
Reviewed 2 March 2010

OMG I LOVE THIS HOTEL! It has an old world charm that is off the map. The main staircase and the entry way. The parking was expensive but the corner room and bathtub made up for it!!

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patiences4not

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I was with my boyfriend and two other couples and we all just loved this hotel! For starters, it has such great old world charm and everyone was so friendly and nice to us.
The rooms were all very clean and the ameneties were fantastic, oh.. and the beds were just heavenly. We had dinner at the Metropolitan Grill and it was only a block or so away and was a very easy walk. The Juno Restaurant below has a great atmosphere and serves excellent Bloody Marys. We will definately be staying at this hotel again!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Northern Nj
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I have to compliment the builders / craftsman who turned the historic Arctic building into the Arctic Club Hotel, their workmanship is of the highest quality and the decor is outstanding, (my wife and I like it so much we’re going to use their green / brown accent color scheme in our bedroom). We chose the Arctic Club for its location, a few blocks from the train station and being on the LINK light rail line to the SeaTac airport (station stop is Pioneer Square). We stayed for 3 days in a King bed - nonsmoking, and it was the most pleasant hotel experience we’ve ever had. All the staff were nice, polite, helpful, and genuinely seemed to like working there. The room was cosy, immaculate and well equipped (my wife especially enjoyed the french press coffeemaker for her morning coffee, I was impressed by the LG flat panel TV), and comfortable. WiFi internet access is available in the room for $X a day, but there are two computers and a printer available in the business center for free (a godsend for printing boarding passes) so bringing your laptop with you is not as necessary. We then took the ferry to Victoria, BC for a 3 day visit, and returned to the Arctic Club for one more night, this time in a Queen nonsmoking, shower only. While the room itself was a just as nice as the King, it felt crowded because all the furniture and amenities from the King were in a smaller space. It’s fine for one person or two people overnight, but there’s not a lot of spare space.

Seattle’s public transit system makes it easy to get around using electric bus, diesel bus, and light rail lines. It’s great for tourists because the Arctic Club is within the free transit zone, which covers most of downtown. No rental cars or taxis necessary For breakfast, go next door to Piroshki’s bakery for Russian/Polish breakfast and dessert pastries and great coffee.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank JETNJ
Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I was only here one night so I'll keep this short and sweet.

This is a very nice hotel especially for the $139 I paid. Its very "Seattle" and unlike any other hotel I can think of. The room was very classy and everything felt first-class. Definately felt more like a boutique hotel than a chain. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

My room on the 7th floor was a little noisy (street noise) but I was so tired after flying in from the east coast I slept like a baby anyway.

The location is great for business travelers and weekday leisure travelers but only ok on weekends. Its just under a mile (or about a 20 minute walk) from Pike's Place which isn't bad but other hotels are closer. Otherwise on weekends open restaurants, bars, stores etc. are scarce so expect to walk. I wouldn't let it keep me from staying here but you should be aware. The neighborhood seemed very safe even late at night even though there weren't many people on the streets.

Another thing you should know: The address is Third Ave but the entrance is actually on Cherry Street. I drove around the block right by the place a couple times before I figured out how to get in.

Which brings me to parking. Unbeknownst to me, Seattle has virtually NO on-street parking in the city itself. So this hotel has mandatory valet parking at the not-so-bargain price of $29/night. That sounds expensive but other hotels I think are in a similar price-range.

Overall its a very nice boutique hotel that's worth staying at just be aware of the location and parking costs.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ejm3
Shanghai
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Nice hotel in Seattle. Very convenient to the undergound bus (right on the corner), which is free during day time within the downtown area. You can also walk to Pike Place etc., which 2 bus stops away, in about 15-20 minutes. Hotel was nicely appointed with photos of various Native Alaskans and Western explorers in the hallways and rooms. Restaurant was good. Lower rooms face a lot of street noise from buses, but that is with any city hotel. They do have ear plugs if you're stuck on a lower floor though (I always bring my own for same reason if get stuck next to a noisy family).

Only thing I was disappointed with was didn't get a free cookie when I checked in. ;-)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 3 February 2010

My wife and I stayed here over Christmas. We had a corner room, which was perfect. We were on the 8th floor so had no problem with traffic noise. Our first stay in Seattle was a fine one, made better by this hotel. Room service was cheap, the bar was great and the staff friendy. The Juno restaurant was good for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 3 February 2010

my husband had to stay in seattle for 2 weeks & i came to visit for a long weekend. this hotel is historic & beautiful. we stayed on the 9th floor in room 901. our room was clean & very comfortable. there was construction going on 4th ave that was noisy, but not to blame the hotel. my husband raved about the coffee & breakfast in the hotel restaurant, juno. i enjoyed that the hotel was walking distance to a lot of shopping & attractions! parking was steep, $36/night, but i think it was comparable to the area. the concierge & desk staff were always helpful & attentive. the fitness center was clean & nice to have on site. although if you go sight seeing you get plenty of exercise just walking around!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business