“Pioneer Square Best Western” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Plus Pioneer Square Hotel

Best Western Plus Pioneer Square Hotel
Ranked #31 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Washington DC
“Pioneer Square Best Western”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

The Best Western at Pioneer is a great little hotel. Don’t go if you are looking for the cookie cutter hotel of the big chains, this is more of a boutique hotel. The “free” breakfast was more along the lines of a small European hotel without the meat and hard rolls, which matched the feel for the whole hotel. In my opinion the hotel would be fit right in with the boutique hotels of any major European city. Right next to the hotel is a nice saloon which severed mostly local beers and wines, but had the atmosphere of a local “gasthaus” in Germany or a local pub in England.
If you are in Seattle with some free time I would advise you take the “Underground Tour,” which is about a block from the hotel. Not overly impressive however very informative. Just around the corner from the hotel up on First Avenue there is a nice little jazz club that has reasonably priced meals and great music, if you like jazz that is.
The hotel is with easy walking distance of the waterfront and its associated eateries. Just a short walk north on First Avenue is the famous Pikes Market where you can buy fresh fruit, meat, flowers and fish. If you go to the Market don’t forget your camera as the range of colors is outstanding.
Speaking of cameras, vist Kerry Park, which is north of the Space Needle, where you get a wonderful view of the city; I think it is the same view you see from window of Frasier’s window from the TV show of the same name. One doesn’t need a rental car to get there however it is a “hike” up the last few blocks, trust me on that as I hiked it once and about half way up my legs and I agree that I was out of shape and should have taken the rental car. (Testosterone will kill you every time.) They say in the winter when the air is fresh and clear you can see Mt. Rainer in the back ground behind the Space Needle; however I was there in the summer so I just got a hazy view of Mt. Rainer. For the camera buffs I would advise you go to the park right after sun down so you can get a view of the Space Needle and the rest of Seattle all lit-up.
If you want to change your daily wear visit Utilikilts on Pioneer Square. They can outfit you with a daily wear kilt in no time. I was much temped to buy one; however, well to be honest I chickened out.
All and all the Pioneer Square Best Western Hotel is a great little hotel, right in the heart of old Seattle.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank RamsteinRuss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Athens, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square for two nights in June, 2009. The room they gave us was behind the elevator and near the ice machine, and looked out into a dreary air vent, but despite these drawbacks, the room was spacious and clean. The location is great if you want to walk to Pike Market or along the waterfront, but the streets are very dirty and a large double-decker freeway is very nearby, so it is noisy outside. The breakfast was OK--just like most economy hotel continental breakfasts--but it was a welcome beginning to our days. Pioneer Square, where the hotel is located, is interesting, but just on the other side of seedy. I was unprepared for the shabbiness of the surrounding area, even though many businesses are trying to improve it. All in all, it was a good place to stay.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

We stayed here three nights, coming into Seattle on Amtrak from Vancouver. It is a beautiful classic hotel with personnel who are extremely helpful. The breakfast buffet is a perfect way to start the day. We took buses everywhere and the location couldn't be more convenient, although Pioneer Square at night is not condusive for strolling the streets, thus the 4-star rating on location. Our room was front streetview, second floor, spacious, clean and so very comfortable. If we come back to Seattle again, this is the place we will stay. The price is right! My husband stayed here seven years ago and he said this time was even better.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta-georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

Larisa at front desk is fantastic.Always helping and answering questions with a great attitude and a BIG SMILE. Defenetly a big asset for the Hotel.
Outside Katarina always providing good tips an reccomendations. She is a jewel.
Thaks to all the employees for making us feel good.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

I am moved to report to help other travellers. If you book this one and are finding your way yourself look out as it does not carry the usual Best Western large illuminated logo. Having found it we received excellent and cheerful service.

Sebastopol, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

We chose the Pioneer Square for its price and proximity to AMTRAK (it's a $4 cab ride to the station, tip not included). We stayed two nights, one going and one coming.
It would take a compelling reason now to choose another Seattle hotel. We got in late the first night and the desk staff could not have been more welcoming and accommodating. We were quickly in our nicely appointed and furnished room and found the extra pillows we had asked for online.
The Pioneer is a historic building with the ambiance only found in earlier days. It has had a first class restoration, so you get the best of the old and of the new.
The included breakfast is of first quality and generous quantity. A cheerful attendant provides any help you need and boiled eggs provide the protein often missing from such meals.
Finally, when I discovered I had left my shaving kit behind and called the hotel they simply checked my address and said they would send it along. At no charge.
The Best Western Pioneer Square will be our hotel in Seattle from now on.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

I have always wanted to stay in downtown Seattle, visit Pioneer Square, sightsee and shop. I was concerned about the safety of staying downtown. However I was so happy to have available at $20 for the night as well as into the next day, secured parking.
The staff was very friendly and sociable. They stored our luggage the morning we checked out so that we could do our shopping and touring for the day as well as to leave our mini van parked in the secured parking.
Although our room was a bit small, it was clean and comfortable. I would most definetly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family