“Clean, eco-friendly bargain with great staff”

Best Western Executive Inn
Ranked #52 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 10 February 2009

I had three nights to spend in Seattle and wanted to stay fairly close to downtown. I almost always go through that Website where you can "Name Your Own Price" (can't mention it by name here or they won't post this) to get the best rate possible on a top-tier hotel, but since I was traveling alone and was on a tight budget this time, I decided to go with a mid-range property. I bid $50 at the 2-and-a-half-star level and the Executive Inn accepted my offer. I booked it for just one night because I wasn't sure what to expect and didn't want to risk getting stuck in someplace unacceptable for my entire stay.

I realized the evening of my arrival that I'd be getting in really late, and I called them to let them know; the front desk agent was super nice and did a great job giving me directions. When I got there (around 3 am) I parked on the street. Check-in was fast and easy and he comped me a parking pass for the hotel garage because of the late hour, which saved me from either paying $15 or getting up by 8 to feed the meter.

I got to the room and found it to be large and clean with a refrigerator and microwave. I was dead tired but impressed enough with the value that I fired up my laptop and used the free Wi-Fi to ask Capt. Kirk to bid on another night at the same rate --which was accepted -- before going to bed.

I got up in time to hit the free breakfast buffet and was blown away by the selection: lots of hot items (scrambled eggs, potatoes, link sausages, make-your-own waffles), bagels, yogurt, several kinds of cold cereal, a selection of fruit juices and decent local name-brand coffee. The plates and bowls are disposable (think Chinet) and so are the kind-of-flimsy utensils, but it's all compostable and what isn't composted is recycled.

So if being environmentally conscious is important to you, this is a great place to stay. There are recycling bins in every room and the vanities and showers have dispensers for soap, shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer rather than individual packages. And while some might say the property "needs a little updating", not ripping out fixtures and finishes every few years is an earth-friendly approach.

Ultimately, I was happy enough to book a third night too. I switched rooms after the first night to get an even-numbered room on an upper floor with a western exposure and a great view of the Space Needle which is a couple of blocks away. The odd-numbered rooms have a "city view", but it's more alley than skyline.

The Executive Inn may not be elegant or trendy, but it's clean and I found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. I'ts not someplace I'd book for a special occasion or stay with someone I wanted to impress, but otherwise I'd definitely stay there again if I could get a bargain rate like that. There's a great message board where you can get tips on how to bid on hotels, rental cars, etc.; again, I can't mention it by name but search for "where we learn to make travel affordable" and you'll find it.

• Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank wowvoyageur

Reviewed 5 February 2009

My family and I stayed at this motel and it is a nice place to stay. Very clean, excellant breakfast and friendly staff. If you plan on walking or taking the public transportation watch for homeless people there is a lot of riff raff in the surrounding area. A teenage club directly across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Jules R
Reviewed 10 January 2009

The location is great- close to the city center, right by the Expo in Belltown (monorail, Space Needle and EMP). Great view of the Space Needle. And the price is reasonable, including the parking.

The free breakfast buffet was really good, and the attached restaurant & bar is nice.

The night staff was pretty lax, though. While I checked in, the three lobby staff never interrupted a three-way conversation behind the desk about their weekend plans. It's a little thing, but it reflects a certain lack of "professionalism." The night desk also never gave me a promised callback regarding the lack of WiFi in my room, and never passed a message about it to the daytime desk.

The daytime desk staff was much more courteous and responsive, though. They referred me to the WiFi provider directly (who were ultimately still unable to get me online, probably due to a fault with my laptop).

As someone else noted in a review, there seems to be no procedure at the hotel for clearing used room service trays from the hallways. There was a discarded tray with meal remnants outside a door on our floor when we checked in that remained there for over 24 hours (the cleaning staff just ignored it the next day, because it was still there the following evening after our room had been cleaned.)

For $15-a-day parking, I'd also like to see more security on the parking garage. It has a locking gate with cardkey access, but the gate is never closed. Since hotel guests all have room cardkeys, I would think it would be easy to use the security gate to restrict access to the garage.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mattozan
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Deceptive front desk staff, claiming "you cannot park on the street between 10pm and 4am" ... in order to try and get you to pay the $15 parking fee with them. This is completely not true. Parking is free in Seattle on the street between 6pm and 8am.

They even put deceptive signage on the outside of the building facing the street, saying "no parking between 10pm and 4am"... but this is wrong. It is a public street, and falls under the same Seattle bylaws. Locals seem to know this and park there anyway to go to a nearby late-night club.

Anyway, save your money and park on the street (plenty of free space in this area), or stay at the Travel Lodge next door which offers free parking.

As for room...the "organic fresh odor neutralizer" stuff they use is nauseously overpowering. Any attempts by them to be "eco-friendly" were lost on us, as we had to blast the heat with the window wide open in order to try and aerate the room.

Other than that, only minor complaints. It sucks that the room key is one big advertisement for some pizza company, and that there is advertising and overbearing signage in the room, but I guess this is to be expected for a major chain.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank ardarvin
executiveinnSeattle, General Manager at Best Western Executive Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2009

Dear Traveler, we're sorry you didn't appreciate our attempts to make your stay a success. The city put up those signs on the front of our building at our request so that the local (and very loud) young nightlife would be deterred from parking directly under our guest's windows. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. There was never any intention to "push" hotel parking on our guests. Our keycards are part of a Best Western International Domino's partnership program. I apologize if that was offensive to you and I will definitely take that into account when making future keycard choices. Lastly, thank you for your comments about the odor neutralizer, I believe it to be a misuse and will make sure that it's corrected for future guests. Thank you,

Timothy D. Cordodor
Best Western Executive Inn
(206) 674-6624 Direct

Reviewed 15 October 2008

I stayed there in September. The bed was hard as a rock. It was like sleeping on planks of wood. The only saving grace is that my room had a lovely view of the Space Needle. I pre-booked and paid for two nights, but was so fed-up and disappointed that I left a day early. They wouldn't give me my money back for the unused second night. They said that I would have to do that when I returned back to Australia.

I was also disappointed and extremely surprised that they didn't have Room Service.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Quokka7
executiveinnSeattle, Manager at Best Western Executive Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2008

Dear World Traveler from Australia, on behalf of the hotel, I would like to apologize for your experience with our beds. Our Pillow-topped "Hypnos" beds were purchased with great care but we realize that there is no universal comfort standard so I will make every effort to offer more options in the future. I am so glad that you enjoyed your view and I hope that my staff are exceedingly helpful in helping you get your money refunded from whatever party you paid for the room originally. Thank you for your patronage! Pleaase feel free to contact me personally if I can help in any way.

Tim Cordodor
tcordodor@clisehotels.com

Reviewed 18 August 2008

Tired looking hotel and room. Dirty towel in bathroom when we checked in. Room did not smell fresh. Dirty dish left on the floor in the hall across from our room, for the 3 days we were there. Male desk clerk not friendly. We asked if there was any family restaurants near the hotel and he rudely said, a pizza place down the street and the hotel restaurant. The next day we found a McDonalds on the next street and many more restaurants 2 streets over. 100% non smoking hotel but people in rooms near our room smoking marijuanna and the stink was everywhere. I have chronic asthma and 3 small children and this was not acceptable by any standards. We paid, with hotel/parking, about $550.00 canadian dollars for 2 nights. Way overpriced for what we got. We will never stay there again and we travel internationally on a regular basis so are very aware of good hotels that are out there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank popcornVancouver
Reviewed 7 August 2008

When I checked in, I asked for a higher floor (well the 3rd floor was the highest), but the lady at the front desk told me that she could only provide me this particular room on the second floor. (I used my AAA rate) so I guess you are restricted only on certain block of rooms. That's fine but when I got in the room, the place was smelling so badly of food perhaps from the previous guest. So the windows were wide open obviously to get rid of the smell. Needless to say, it was freezing and damp since it was still raining (it was in early June). I checked back downstairs and complained. She still hesitated to move me to another room.

Extremely unfriendly staff. Breakfast was OK, and I heard
a guest comment that he had been staying there for years but
that the hotel had really gone downhill in terms of standards.

The hallways could use a bit of an uplift and should be cleaned

I will not recommend this hotel at all.

The only good thing is that they use environmental friendly products in their bathrooms.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo