“Great B&B in the U district!”

Chambered Nautilus Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #14 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
“Great B&B in the U district!”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed 6 nights in September. The inn is beautiful, food is outstanding and hospitality is exceptional! Would definitely stay again on my next visit. The Scallop Chamber is very spacious, private and quiet. It has a patio off the back. Stairs might be an issue for some, but the staff will help with luggage and anything else you might need. You will feel right at home immediately.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The Chambered Nautilus is a nice B&B. The rooms are comfortable and there is a nice sitting area as well as a small garden with seats and benches. We stayed there five nights and were happy with the breakfasts, staff helpfulness and cleanliness. There are some potential negatives. The B&B is in the university area of Seattle and very convenient if you have plans at UW. However you're a long haul from most of the tourist attractions which means having a car or learning the Seattle bus system. Like many houses in Seattle the B&B is on a steep slope. You cannot drive up to the building and have to go up and down a long flight of stairs. We had no problems with this but if you have an issue with stairs keep this in mind. If we need to be near the university on our next trip we will absolutely stay at The Chambered Nautilus, otherwise we will look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Look at the website closely. One room does not have a bathroom en suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
ChamberedNautilus, Owner at Chambered Nautilus Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thanks for your review and feedback. We are centrally located in Seattle in a nice neighborhood near the UW but we think we are still close to the center. I go downtown for one thing or another about once a week. Now, in all honesty one person's close in is another person's long haul so here is the data. Downtown attractions are a 10-15 minute drive from the Inn. We are happy to tell you our secrets for the quickest and easiest ways to get there
(note these are often not the routes your GPS tells you about) and the best times of the day to drive down. Within a 5-8 minute walk of the Inn there is a bus stop where you can catch a bus that will take you straight into downtown with no transfers required. We are happy to give you instructions on this as well. We are sorry if we did not communicate all this to our reviewer, (which I suspect we may not have) but like I said what is close for one person is far for another and mostly we are just delighted you were happy with the other aspects of your stay with us.
As to those stairs.....they are here, gentle and sloping, but still a stairway, giving us our peaceful off street location and great gardens, remember we are willing, able and HAPPY bring your bags up for you anytime.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I needed a place to stay close to the University of Washington hospital because a family member had surgery and I had to pick them up early the next day. I found the Chambered Nautilus and all the reviews were stellar. I chose the Rose Chamber and made my reservation. Upon arrival, I was greeted quickly and told there was an issue with the bathroom in the room I had reserved and they had upgraded me to the Scallop Chamber instead. The room was a good size, clean and full of beautiful antiques. The TV was small (19 inch) but sufficient since I basically just needed to sleep. The next morning, I had a great breakfast. This consisted of homemade granola, Northwest style eggs benedict and a spinach brownie. I'm not a lover of spinach but it was really good! I would recommend this inn to anyone who needs to be near the UW for an event or the hospital.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Joyce and her very able crew, Lauren, Crystal, Rei, I am sure I am forgetting someone and not spelling names correctly,know how high the standard for the Bed and Breakfast experience is held.They met and pushed the bar up a bit while I was there this past week,

The Chambered Nautilus is classic, an entirely engaging structure of the Georgian era, it is so well appointed and decorated that it just says welcome and relax. The grounds are exceptionally well maintained with gardens and outside sitting areas. It is located in the University District with easy access to Seattle's well developed public transit system.

I could get to downtown as easily as though I had a car with me but without the parking headaches. I got on a bus that took me to Ballard for a side trip that was totally good. It seemed as though I could get just about anywhere with a short walk to a bus stop and a bus within a minute or two.

The rooms at the Chambered Nautilus are colorful and elegant. They have a nod to themes as many Bed and Breakfast do. I stayed in the Sunrise Chamber for a few days and then in the Crow's Nest. The Sunrise Chamber is all about yellows and accents of blue and when the morning dawns if you have the blinds open you'll see where and why it got its name.

The Crow's Nest is at the top of the stairs. It is all wainscot and coved ceilings. It has a unique character to it that I found restful and very comfortable to just relax in. Though it is more muted in color than the Sunrise Chamber it is still very light and airy even with a wainscoted ceiling.

The Breakfasts are a delight. The Southwest Scramble, the melons with crystalized ginger and a slice of lime, the spinach brownie Eggs Benedict Seattle style. All of it was such a treat along with some very nicely brewed coffee and stimulating morning conversation with fellow travelers.

I felt as though I was good hands and caring folks were always ready to help me enjoy my time there. Though I was working, presenting workshops at a convention, the experience at the Chambered Nautilus made it all seem like a sweet vacation.

Room Tip: Every room there is unique. YOu really can't go wrong.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
New Mexico
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The Greenlake Suite was perfect for us when we were visiting family in Seattle in late July! There were four of us and we had space to spread out and be comfortable. The beds were comfortable, the grounds lovely, and breakfast was delicious! I will definitely stay here when we return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NewMexicoHanna
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The ladies there were very helpful, and very friendly and gracious. They always made sure to have a high chair ready for my daughter and reserved space for my family to sit together at breakfast. They give a choice in the timing of your breakfast seating, which I appreciated, and made meal accommodations for my daughter. We stayed in the University Suite, which was comfortable for my family of four, although my son said the hidabed was uncomfortable. My husband and I had a nice bed, and they had a pack and play for our daughter. They cleaned daily, also asking when we'd prefer they stop by. Next time, we may stay in something a bit more spacious, but it was a fabulous deal for where we needed to be for the week (Burke Museum). Thanks, ladies!

Room Tip: University Suite is great for a family of one or two little ones, but there is a bigger suite with m...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear reviewer,
You are most welcome and we are happy you enjoyed your time with us! Your baby was adorable! To our future guests, please note that as of this winter's renovations, this suite ( and others too) have new sofa beds with extra thick mattresses and minimal or NO sofa bed bars at all, ensuring a comfy night's sleep for all.
bellingham
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the Chambered Nautilus while visiting Children's. We were very pleased to find the inn owners so kind. We were even hand delivered bandaids and neosporin for a minor fall my son had. Breakfast was fantastic! The sofa bed was so comfortable, no bar! I actually thought it was more comfortable than the bed we slept in, but i have difficulty with just about any bed. We had a great experience and so did our kids! Thanks Joyce!

• Stayed July 2012