“Happy New Year at Chelsea Station”
Review of Chelsea Station

Chelsea Station
Ranked #2 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was our third stay at Chelsea Station for New Year's eve and the following night. We love this place! The only word for it is elegant. They serve a marvelous breakfast every day and there are lots of snacks and wine in the innkeepers' quarters. They also left a complimentary bottle of champagne in our room! While just across the street from the south entrance to Woodland Park Zoo, it is still quiet and peaceful. The suites are beautifully appointed and they just keep getting better and better. This year we found a new espresso maker in the kitchen, which we thoroughly enjoyed. We always enjoy walking the nearby neighborhoods of Ballard, Fremont, Phinney Ridge and Greenlake. Great location, beautiful suites and excellent food. I want to move in full time.

Room Tip: The rooms are identical and there is not a bad one in the lot. We've stayed in three out of the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Chelsea Station

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We've made a yearly tradition of staying at Chelsea Station during the holiday season, even though it is only 10 miles from our home. Our friends ask why would stay so close to home instead of getting of town (which we do often), so I try to explain to them that if other B&Bs are macaroni and cheese, this place is macaroni and cheese with four kinds of real cheese, ham, AND bacon. There are so many nice little touches that make our stay so special that I think we would just live there if possible. Beautiful, warm décor with all the modern amenities added without taking away from the coziness. Great location with easy access to downtown Seattle, Ballard, Woodland Park, and you don't even need a car. Of all the vacations we take each year, this is the shortest, but by far the one we talk about and look forward to the most. There may be some places that are less expensive, but Chelsea Station is definitely the best value. Charles and Bonney, thank you for looking after all the little details that make it such a joy to spend time here.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is our second time staying and we will definitely return. The room is warm and inviting with every possible comfort readily available. The breakfast is delicious. The innkeepers are friendly and accommodating. We were surprised by delicious fresh made treats in our room each afternoon. We were left a complimentary bottle of wine which they gladly changed for sparkling cider since we aren't drinkers. They definitely go the extra mile to make you feel at home. The pantry area is stocked with beverages and snacks that you can enjoy anytime. The room has an espresso machine which made the leisurely mornings that much more pleasant. Chelsea Station is close to everything you can possibly want to do in and around Seattle. Comfort, elegance, peace & quiet, pure enjoyment! We just can't say enough good things about Chelsea Station Inn.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I work in Seattle several weeks a year and am quite happy to have found Chelsea Station. The location is excellent, I'm in my mid fifties and not in such great shape but found it easy to walk to some of the best neighborhoods in Seattle--neighborhoods where it is frequently difficult or impossible to park. For those that know Seattle, Chelsea Station is pretty much equidistant from Upper Fremont, Wallingford and Phinney Ridge. Green Lake, is also not a terribly long walk. Also a great location for driving since it is about the first place where you can get on and off Aurora where you want. I found parking to be a breeze and was able to park in front of the inn almost every night. As other's have mentioned, the accommodations are very nice, the pictures don't really capture the big bedroom windows which I thought was a big plus. I'd have to say the well stocked pantry is a downside, I'm afraid that the Hagen daas ice cream bars, nice chocolate and extensive drink selection put several pounds on me. Another thing that was really nice for me was the espresso machine in the kitchen.

The only down sides, I really wish there had been a desk in the living room. Since I'm on business, I really could have used the place to spread my work out. Also, if you're looking for a place to socialize, this isn't it. But I socialize all day at work and in the evenings I really just want someplace quiet to unwind. Chelsea Station is ideal for that.

Room Tip: I suspect first floor rooms could be a bit noisy if the inn is full. I had a second floor room and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

WOW is the word. We had a wonderful and relaxing stay for my husband's birthday trip. The inn is beautiful, spacious and kept wonderfully full of delightful treats! Every morning we had exquisite breakfasts brought to our door and every afternoon after a day of exploring, we had a cozy place to rest our weary feet and enjoy the wine and goodies. We had an "oops" moment with our reservation and Marina made sure all worked out smoothly! They even put a bottle of champagne on the table for the birthday celebration! Comfortable, classy, relaxing and thoughtful are all words to describe this elegant b & b. We loved not having to pack our robes! Lots of places to explore near the inn and the bus stop to downtown is only a block away. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room #1 was fabulous!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Honestly, I could not have thought of a single thing these inn-keepers could have done differently or better. We're particular about the places we stay and this property was spot on. Spacious, well designed, nice decor, comfortable, hospitable (great, but non intrusive service), wonderful breakfasts and on and on. If you want to be in the thick of things, well, this place isn't, but it's in a very walkable, nice area and you can walk a mile or so into the University District, a shorter hike up to Green Lake, go to the Zoo a block away and really enjoy the neighborhood feel of Seattle. Kudos to the owners for thinking of everything and then some. If I was forced to find a downside, it's simply that the bed is queen sized vs. king, if that's important to a traveler.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have stayed in quite a few B&B type places over the years and found Chelsea Station to be among the very best. The accommodations are fantastic of course, with a spacious living room area, perfect dining table for two, elegant bathroom and comfortable bed. But the real differentiator was the incredibly thoughtful way that the innkeepers go about serving their guests.

Upon arrival, I knew something different was going on when we found our room assignment in a hand written note on the front door. Email instructions sent prior gave us the access code for entry so we just walked right in without having any arduous check in process. As we went upstairs to the suite, the door was open, the lights were on and soft music was playing. Our keys were sitting on the table next to a custom breakfast order sheet that you turn in downstairs to a small box. Being able to just walk in like we lived there was so relaxing and comfortable that I was immediately at ease.

We had specified a gluten free diet in our reservation and I had not thought much of it, figuring that the breakfast options would be modified. We were surprised and delighted to find fresh baked gluten free cookies waiting for us upon arrival and other GF snacks in the kitchen. This polite and thoughtful gesture was so unexpected that we both knew we had come to the right place.

Every morning, breakfast was served to our suite exactly when we specified and our dietary requests honored without compromising any kind of food quality! Quite frankly, the breakfast was amazing. Even though we didn’t note it on our card, the innkeepers would bring up a pot of French press coffee, just in case we wanted one. Again, really showing their thoughtful and genuine nature.

This place invokes a sense of calm that is extremely pleasant. From the wine service downstairs to the spacious and private rooms, there is simply no better place to spend time in the Seattle area.

Tips:

The innkeepers communicate via email very professionally and provide important information through that method, so being able to check your email on the go is a must.

The building is a classic piece of local architecture, and has apparently been completely remodeled, but the floors did squeak quite a bit and I felt bad for those on the bottom floor. As a result, I would recommend a top floor suite (#3 or #4).

While the innkeepers thoughtfully provide snacks and wine in the pantry, there are no upscale dining options within walking distance. Local menus are provided in the suite, however, so you can plan accordingly.

There are two parking spaces available for guests, but four suites. Street parking can be a bit tight sometimes so it pays to get there a bit early if possible.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple