“A must when at the market”
Review of Pike Place Chowder

Pike Place Chowder
Ranked #25 of 4,383 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Seattle's Pike Place Chowder cafe opened in 2003, offering up award-winning New England Clam Chowder as its signature dish, and continuing to develop original recipes that have taken first-place in dozens of coast-to- coast competitions. A second chowder house, launched in 2007 in the Pacific Place Shopping Center, offers an expanded menu including fish ‘n chips, po’boys and premium beers. The business draws thousands of visitors from around the globe and is listed among the Top Ten Must-Visit Seattle Eateries in dozens of food-and- travel media.
Reviewed 7 July 2012

It is hard to add anything beyond all the other reviews. The New England Clam Chowder was the best I have ever had. I agree with the judges! A great place for lunch. The line on Friday starts well before opening.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,400)

Reviewed 5 July 2012

If you're visiting Seattle you'll probably be dragged to Pike Place Market. A lot of people seem to like it, but honestly I think it's probably one of the worst tourist attractions I've been to. But enough about Pike Place Market. Best chowder in the world may be debatable, but it's still surprisingly good for a tourist joint. Really the only reason I didn't give it a perfect rating is because seating is a mess when it's busy.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

There was a line but it didn't take very long to get our lunch. We tried the clam chowder and the seafood bisque. We really liked both of them but thought the bisque was best. Located on Post Alley. When they run out of chowder they close for the day.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Made the trip out here for lunch today. Was it ever worth it. It was about 12:00 pm on a Thursday and getting busy. Our wait was about 10 minutes in line but got twice longer while we were eating. We got seats but most people ate standing or sitting on a nearby retaining wall.

I had the sampler: four types of chowder of your choice. I tried the scallop (my least favourite), smoked salmon (the best), southwest corn and chicken which was awesome as well as their original new England chowder. My husband tried the New England in a bread bowl. It was a large portion. I couldn't finish the sampler, it was filling. Both portions cost $28 so quite pricey but worth it I thought.

I would eat here during off hours, avoiding lunch just because of how busy it was, but definitely recommend. It's located in Post alley which runs parallel to Pike Place. Try the smoked salmon chowder!

1  Thank NorthVan83
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I think being from New England has made me very picky about my chowder, so I wasn't all that impressed here. We ordered the sampler, and the New England style was the only one I could see getting a bowl of, and still I didn't think that was anything amazing. Service was fast and nice and the location cannot be beat. Perhaps the sandwiches are better, but we only got chowder. Nothing bad, but nothing amazing sums it up.