“Above and beyond” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chambres de Saint Meen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sainte-Mere-Eglise
Chambres de Saint Meen
Canberra, Australia
“Above and beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

This B&B appears to be run by a mother and son and the service they gave my wife and I was far beyond what I expected. When staying there my wife became ill with a virus that she had picked up from me, which I'd had earlier, and she needed to see a doctor. The son speaks very good English and he went out of his way to arrange for my wife to see a local doctor. He even walked me over to the doctor's surgery, to show me where it was. They almost made us feel like family.

That aside, all my other impressions of Chambres de Saint Meen are positive. Our room was great. The shower! It had three options where the water came from: a), directly from above, b) from a hand held nozzle, or c) from the side of the shower wall, spa like.

Our room was great. It looked out over the village square and it was quite large, by European standards at least. Our back was a private car parking space.

For those not used to staying in French villages, the B&B is next to the village church and it chimes briefly every 15 minutes during the day. While an initial surprise, I found this added to the charm of our stay.

Chambres de Sainte Mère Eglise is also an ideal location for those wanting to visit the D-Day historical sites in Normandy.

It was also very well priced.

One more thing, they even offered to carry our luggage up the stairs.

Overall I have nothing but praise for Chambres de Sainte Mère Eglise, and, if you read my other reviews, you will see I do not readily give such praise.

Room Tip: Ask for either the 'Utah' and 'Omaha' rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Rod_NR92

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lymington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in late June on our way further south in Normandy. We found the accomodation excellent, the staff friendly and the breakfast adequate, although as someone else mentioned it might not be quite enough for those with a large appitite.
Over all we would gladly recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RosemaryB65
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

This B&B is located right on the town square in Sainte Mere Eglise. The furnishings are eclectic, but it is clean and the couple that own it are very charming and bend over backwards to assist you in your needs. They have one room that is suitable for people that have difficulties with stairs, so if you are limited in your mobility, be sure to request that room, as all others have stairs involved. Breakfast is only a croissant with orange juice, coffee and warmed milk for hot chocolate, but we are not big breakfast eaters, so this was acceptable to us. Would stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisa R
Lille, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Lovely, quaint little B&B just on the main place in Saint Mere-Eglise, France. The proprietors, Charlyne et Christian Berot are the nicest couple you'll meet in Saint Mere-Eglise. Their hotel is very clean and well kept and they are happy to offer suggestions for restaurants or activities in the area. I'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Looking for accommodation for my family's trip to Normandy last month, we reserved a 4-person apartment for our 3-day stay. We made the reservation via email, and were assured that the apartment was reserved for us, following the provision of our credit card details.

Safe in the knowledge that we had found accommodation in the centre of Ste Mère Église, we arrived at the appointed time, where we were duly informed that we would have two separate double rooms in different parts of the building. When I queried this, I was told that the apartment was occupied. We were shown to the rooms which we'd been allocated. The first was a lean-to at the back of the building. Damp, and unclean, we were left unimpressed. The second room was in the main building on the first floor. It was in better condition than the lean-to, but nothing like the apartment we'd expected.

After much debate, it was decided that I would share the internal room with my mother, and that my father and brother would sleep in the lean-to. The lean-to was equipped with a kitchenette in the typical French style (two ring hob, fridge, microwave). Above the kitchenette was a sign informing us that we would be able to use the electricity for just €5/day! This was not mentioned during the booking process, in which numerous emails were exchanged. Neither were any other extra charges which were later foisted upon us. At least when using Ryanair, you're aware that there will be hidden extras...

The final straw came when we explored further. The furniture in the room was damp and chipped, and the bathroom was in poor condition. This triggered a row which resulted in my going to the Tourism Office to seek advice regarding securing a refund. The lady who helped us was very helpful, and having mediated, informed us that we had not secured the room as we had failed to provide the proprietor with our credit card details.

We knew this to be untrue, but after a heated discussing with the proprietor, we succeeded in getting a full refund.

We ended up spending €100 extra on the Kyriad Hotel in Carentan, but our opinion is that it was well worth the extra money, in order to have a clean room with the facilities advertised.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank JohannaLFrance
Charlyne B, Gérant at Chambres de Saint Meen, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Following this opinion, we would like to make the following clarifications:
Book this trip was made a month ago. After informing guests at their request, the need to give us their credit card imprint to definitively confirm their reservation, we did not have a message indicating that data. After several reminders from us, no messages in return has allowed us to confirm the reservation.
Only the day before their arrival, an email sent to us to tell us this card imprint! While a month had elapsed since the application for residence.
We take every precaution to ensure that this kind of inconvenience does not happen. In 10 years of activity, we deplore the first incident, but we can not hold reservations at this time of the year if we have a card imprint or a deposit.
We have made ​​every effort at the arrival of the guests to find their proper hosting solution, but nothing appeared to be sufficient at their request.
We realized later that we were not the only ones to suffer setbacks hébergents these hosts who have demonstrated in their path the same lightness ...
A negative opinion of this kind is not acceptable for us .. The conditions were imposed clear from the outset, everyone must respect these commitments in order to meet both parties.
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a fine little bed & breakfast, very spacious, friendly hosts and a great location. The price was very good but I would be willing to pay an extra 15-20 euro more per night so they could invest in new sheets and bedding, which appeared to be about 30 years old. Breakfast was included and consisted of fresh croissant, jam, butter, coffee and juice. It was good but I wouldn't say huge as another reviewer mentioned. Private parking was included which was very nice.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ASingleStep
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We were lucky enough to read about this B & B on TripAdvisor when looking for lodging in the Normandy area. I got a prompt email response to my inquiry and we arrived to friendly greetings and smiles. The hosts are helpful and friendly and the apartment we got was huge! We lucked out here. We stayed 3 nights and explored the D Day sites in Normandy as well as just relaxing on the beach one day at Omaha. Breakfast is simple continental and family style with other guests. On the mornings my children slept in, I was able to take our breakfast to our room. Having a fridge and cooktop was really convenient as it was nice to cook our own meals after dining in restaurants so many days. Free parking and free internet. I would highly recommend this to families and couples who want a friendly and clean place to stay with a warm welcome. The location can't be beat as it is in the heart of the village and right across the street from the church where John Steele got his parachute hung up on D Day. All in all, a true gem in Normandy at most reasonable prices.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
11 Thank MaineTravel50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Mere-Eglise
Logis Le Sainte Mere
#1 of 10 in Sainte-Mere-Eglise
Le Manoir de Juganville
Le Manoir de Juganville
#3 of 10 in Sainte-Mere-Eglise

Been to Chambres de Saint Meen? Share your experiences!