“Hidden gem”

E Castel
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Cafe bar open from April to end October serving food and / or drinks all day on the main square of Ste Mere Eglise from 11.30Am to 3.30Pm 7 days per week.Quick service no booking required. Home made quiches and tartiflette. Freshly made sandwiches, soup and frites. Lasagne, salads and desserts too including ice cream sundaes. Illy coffee, full range of alcohol available by the glass. Outdoor terrace plus indoor seating for up to 60. Check our our facade with its pre WW2 frontage and sundial and our upstairs seating area which has remained largely unchanged since the 1940s. English Owned
Reviewed 23 August 2014

On our way back home we decided to stop in Sainte Mere Eglise to see the museum, have a quick look around the town and have a bite to eat. While looking around the square we came across the 'E Castel' and decided to give it a go - we're so glad we did. The food was great (the home made quiche was excellent), the service quick and the staff friendly and welcoming - would definitely recommend !!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The staff at this restaurant are so funny, warm and welcoming. The food is delicious as well. I was in a party of 6 and we all had something different for lunch and all the food was well presented and very tasty. Given how expensive some of the places to eat around this area are, I thought this meal was very reasonable! Next time I am in Normandy- I will be coming back!

We arrived a little late for lunch- but this was not a problem. Luckily there was still a wide choice of good left and the waitress was very accommodating and fun to chat to.

1  Thank Roodle88
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We visited this restaurant and found the food and atmosphere just amazing. If you want excellent food in a friendly atmosphere this is the place to go. If your lucky you may meet Jean, a valued customer and friend to this cafe. I found this restaurant the best place to eat in all of France.

1  Thank FelixandColette
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Excellent home cooked food. Owners Mike and Jan and all the staff are very friendly. Just love their capuccino's and they definitely have the best french fries in town! I live nearby and I'm very happy to have this lovely restaurant within walking distance so I can often enjoy the home made quiche, lasagne, tartiflette and burgers!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The food and service here are amazing! I was traveling with my father who is a 93 year-old WWII veteran and we had just finished seeing the museum and church. Unfortunately, since it was after 2:00 pm, we were told that we wouldn't be able to find any food. We wandered into E Castel where we were welcomed with homemade lasagna and quiche, salad, bread, beer and dessert for a very reasonable price. It was delicious! I'm so glad we found this place at the bottom of the hill from the church - if you're hungry, come see these folks... You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank L S