Bent Prop Inn & Hostel of Alaska
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sockeye Inn(Anchorage)
View Hotel
All reviewsmidtown locationbunk bedsjohn forbesprivate apartmentpancake breakfastfull kitchenliving roomplace to stayhome away from homethe general managerlocation is greatwalmartairportalaskalaundryaccommodationsbear
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I spent 2 nights in a suite with kitchen and living room (plus the room and bathroom). There were 4 bunk beds in the room but I was alone! Just fantastic! It's a remarkable value, the place is clean and friendly and very well located midtown in Anchorage.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The owners were excellent in ensuring that my stay was safe and secure.
With airport picks ups and drop offs into the city, i felt extremley safe as a single traveller.
The accommodation is set as an apartment style, which was really nice to have a separate
kitchen and lounge common areas which are only to be shared with a few.

John and Cindy are just wonderful, going above and beyond the expected service.
Was my home away from Home.

Katie - Of New Zealand

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Katie-May T
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The accommodations are much cleaner than my own home and are very welcoming. The kitchen is roomy and well outfitted with utensils, pots etc.. The beds were comfortable and the neighborhood is quiet. There were several good eating places close by and Walmart is within walking distance. The host/owner is outstanding and helpful. He carried my bags upstairs, replaced the batteries in the smoke alarm at the first hint of a beep and seemed genuinely interested in my travels. The place was well heated and well lit and had plenty of shelves and hangers for clothing. You can store things there in a locked room not needed while traveling. I think this place is a a bargain and a gem.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stay at the Mid-town location for two night in the March. If you don't have a rental car, you might want to consider the downtown property they have.

The room is like a one bedroom apartment, with 3 bunk beds in the bedroom. Since it is the low season the host seems to have monthly lease to locals to live here. Didn't met another traveler here, probably because the low season and the location.

The hosts are very friendly and helpful. Overall the place is nice, will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have been to over 25 countries and have stayed in many hostels throughout my travels. Needless to say, the quality varies from place to place. I've been to the Middle East, for example, where the conditions may not be the best but the amenities were top-notch, especially for a hostel.

As far as this hostel is concerned, considering the cost, I would recommend this place only if you are coming to Alaska on an extreme budget and wish to save your money for the expenses (sometimes exorbitant), of traveling through the state. The rooms are drab and dirty--I understand the drab part as some hostels may lack the cheerful ambiance but rooms should be cleaned at least three times a week if not more--staff rude (once I had a problem with their computer and politely informed them and was treated as if I'd been the one who'd damaged the computer), quite a few transients were living there.

But the worst part of my experience at the hostel was arriving one morning at around 8 a.m. and paying in cash for a week at the hostel and then abruptly being told - right AFTER I'd made payment - that my room would be ready only at 3 p.m. Common courtesy and good business practice dictates that you inform the customer beforehand if the room is ready or not before payment is rendered, but after. I was told I could hang about in the lobby until it was ready (the housekeeper incidentally was at the reception chatting with the employee and could've gone to my room and quickly made the bed had it not been ready--IF the bed hadn't been ready, which I don't think so--but instead looked vacuously at me and the employee while we haggled over this inconvenience rule.) I later found out that they have this rule to dissuade transients from staying there and in all fairness I wasn't all that elegant looking and was quite disheveled but I can assure you I am not transient and can afford to stay at a higher priced hotel if I wanted but prefer hostels as they generally give you a more interesting experience. Thankfully, I met some pretty interesting--if not weird--people in the lobby who were also staying at the hotel and got into some great conversations with them. A plus of the place is it is centrally located, downtown, near the bus station and quite a few attractions. But stay away from the station if you can. Lots of transients there and it reminded me of a lot of stations in Eastern Europe where I've lived in terms of the shady characters you'll undoubtedly meet and the stench as well. Last, but not least, about this particular hostel, I would often see, especially in the morning, people enter and go through the hostel who weren't actually staying there. These experiences mean I will never stay there again, nor recommend the place to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo