“Some things good, some not so good.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage

Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Mount Dora, Florida
“Some things good, some not so good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

There were some things I really liked about this property and other things that definitely fell short for me. I think my issues are a result of management style. I would have loved to talk to Bill about it but he didn't seem approachable so I'll let him respond here as he always does. I will say that as I was standing at the front desk the next to the last morning of my 5 night stay (August 16 - 21) waiting my turn, Mr. Hemmer did walk right past me with no greeting or eye contact as I stared directly at him waiting for my opening to mention a few things. There was no good morning or how are you doing as I would have expected out of a hotel manager.

I definitely appreciated the 24 hour free airport shuttle that picked us up at 1am or so and arrived quickly. Our flight was moved to an earlier time so we arrived at the Embassy Suites without a reservation for our first short night. The receptionist was kind enough to give us a slight discount for a smoking room which was all that was available. This still brought the room to almost $250 for the 7 hours we'd use it. Our room for the rest of our stay was available by 10am the next morning.

We paid over $250 a night which is what brings me to the biggest surprise about this particular Embassy Suites. I've never paid this much but did so willingly of course and were we ever surprised to come back to our room the next day at 4pm to find our towels still piled on the floor where we are accustomed to leaving them in hotels so the maid knows we would like clean towels. The beds remained unmade. I inquired about this and was told they'd send someone to clean the room right away but daily maid service isn't part of the policy for longer stays. I searched the room everywhere for a note about this and there was none. There was a note that for longer stays the sheets would only be changed every 4th day. That would be fine, but really, no maid service? No mention of this and VERY odd at this price. Management needs to find a way to make this known to the guests. That's easy to solve.

I do like the unique and different feel to the hotel. The lobby is more of a lodge style rather than the typical atrium style of most Embassy Suites. This was refreshing and in keeping with the area. I also loved the different layout to the suites. Rather than a long two rooms, they all have a side by side layout and feel very large and comfortable. The beds in both the smoking and non-smoking rooms were maybe the most comfortable I've ever slept on. They beat my bed at home. And yes, the smoking room smelled horrible but that's what you get when showing up without a reservation.

We were on the 4th floor with a parking lot, mall view. Had I thought about it, I'd have requested a mountain view across the hall. Our side was a bit noisy from the sound of traffic all day and all night. This was the top floor and the windows aren't totally insulated. But the location is so convenient to many really good places to eat with reasonable prices. I sleep well anyway as long as I have a great bed so it worked for me.

The fitness center is sparse but good enough. The internet service works pretty well. There is a free network in the lobby that might follow you up to your room once signed on.

The shower was the all time worse I've ever had at any hotel in my entire life. The head is way too high and I'm tall. The pressure is extremely low for some reason, maybe law, maybe a head in need of replacement. And there was this one drippy stream running from the bottom that was about the only part useful for trying to rinse my longish hair. My husband noticed that trickle out the back of the shower head, too. I'm not being picky, just honest.

Because of the weirdest alcohol laws ever in Alaska, happy hour isn't as happy as you'd hope. I'm not even a big drinker but it's strange to have to show ID each night when you have graying hair and a few wrinkles. And the 2 drink limit is peculiar for a 2 hour long happy hour. There is a greater assortment of snacks to make up for it. Alaska isn't going to solve it's alcohol problem with these laws especially because being "red banded" doesn't even apply to other states and most of the tourists staying in their hotels.

I wish management would make a point of guiding the kitchen staff to make sure they deliver dry plates for use. This is a training issue. In some states it's a health law issue - warm water on plates breeds bacteria. This was a problem each night at happy hour and again each morning at breakfast. Please, give us dry plates.

Bringing us to breakfast, had it not been for Enrique the great and friendly eggs to order chef, breakfast would have been a flop and the worst of any Embassy Suites ever. The selection was not as full as most and what was there, most wasn't very good. The french toast sticks were always dry and shriveled up. The pre-made eggs were just plain horrible. There is no lower calorie or plain yogurt. The bananas were unavailable for 2 or 3 days. Send someone out to the grocery store for them if need be. But the bacon was maybe better than anywhere. And Enrique not only makes the best and perfectly cooked omelets, he makes perfect pancakes, too.

There were some really lovely people at the front desk, too. All of the morning people were great and definitely seem well trained in service and hospitality. Of special mention is Nytasha who always had a beautiful smile on her face.

I did like the free parking, too. And we even walked to downtown because we like to walk.

Did I have a bad stay? No. Would I stay here again? Likely not. But if the price were right and attention given to the details that were overlooked, I'd reconsider.

Room Tip: If you want a mountain view, tell them, or you likely will have mall or parking lot view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mommabean
embassyanch, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your TripAdvisor comments. I believe you have set a record for longest and most detailed review we have ever received. After reading your review I am pleased that numerous aspects of your stay were highly enjoyable. However I note there were areas where we fell short. First I apologize that you were unable to catch my eye and I walked by you. I am sorry that you and I did not get a chance to talk when you were here. I always appreciate in-house guest feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve a stay. Certainly our housekeeping should have serviced your room every day you were here. Your water pressure comments surprised me and we will investigate that room. I am pleased to follow up on the experiences of all our guests, whether affirmative or otherwise. I will pass on your kind remarks to individual staff members and will address your concerns with the team. Please accept my sincere apology for failing to deliver the very best Embassy experience. I do hope that we will get the chance to see you again and have an opportunity to better care for you on future travel to Anchorage.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed there because of the proximity to the airport and having to catch an early flight. I booked a special suite and paid well over $400. When we arrived our room wasn't ready so we were told to wait in the lobby. We had to have maintenance up a couple of times to fix the television and the airconditioning. They did, however, have a nice complimentary cocktail hour. We ate at the hotel restaurant and had very nice service as it was almost empty.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
embassyanch, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about both the positive and constructive comments from your stay. We try to utilize all feeedback to help us become a better hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your dining and many aspects of your stay. I am very sorry that your room was not ready, as I would expect it to be for our guests. Often this is the challenge of a full hotel and prvious guests who do not depart on time. Please accept my sincere apology. We very much appreciate your business and hope that you will return to the Embassy in the future.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We booked this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and were sadly disappointed. We arrived at 11pm at night and had to wait at reception for some time before anyone was available to check us in.

When we eventually got to our room we found that it was set up for other guests with a cot and sofa-bed in the living room. We checked in as 4 adults in the a 2 bedroom suite. We called reception and they didn't move us. Rather said someone would come to clean up the room. After waiting for 15 minutes no one arrived. We cleaned up the room ourselves and ended up having to call reception to tell them we'd done it.

We sent an email to the general manager and didn't get a response for 2 days. When we did get a response it was underwhelming. In addition, no one from guest services followed up to apologise.

The only positive feedback I have is that the short-chef at breakfast and the bar-woman at happy hour were excellent. Very competent.

All in all, a pretty pathetic show of hospitality. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin_R_Miller
embassyanch, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Arriving to a room that was specifically arranged for a different guest is less than what we expect to deliver. When we are sold out and guests make last minute changes (which many travelers choose to do), we are required to react to their needs no matter what the time of day. Unfortunately we failed to correct the "dominos" that fell behind the changes required for another guest. I sincerely apologize that we were unsuccessful in providing the service you expected upon arrival. I feel terrible that my communications to you were "underwhelming" and not what you were hoping for. I ask for a pardon on both issues. I appreciate your feedback and promise to utilize it and learn from it. Superior guest service has been a hallmark of our hotel and your experience is not typical. We hope that we might get another chance to welcome you back to the Embassy Suites at a future date.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

So happy after getting off the cruise ship to have such a spacious place to stay! Large living area, decent kitchen area, nice bedroom and large bathroom. Glad to be on the fourth floor, no one above us. Plenty of parking. Manager's reception was great, we got a free 16oz beer or house cocktail plus some cheese and crackers and vegetables. Lots of people came, it was fun to see so many people there. The pool is highly chlorinated, the hot tub is large and warm. Tech center is great for checking email, or pay the fee of $10 to have it on your own device. In the lower 48 you usually get this service for free, so that was kind of a bummer, but they do things differently in AK. The full breakfast was delicious and varied: made to order pancakes or omelets as well as buffet style fruit, pastries, eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, juices, coffee, etc.

About two miles from downtown, in a fairly commercial area, but it was easy to get downtown, or just about anywhere, with a car. The hotel shuttle will drive you to the airport so you can rent one if you need to!

Our customer service was outstanding. We arrived VERY early for check in and Tracy at the desk could not have been nicer. She held our bags and gave us a call as soon as the room was ready, which was 2.5 hours before the normal check in time. This was so nice for us.
The woman at the bar for happy hour was super friendly and seemed excited to be there. Brian, who was cooking the breakfast orders our two mornings, was calm and cool as he handled three omelets at a time as well as the varied pancakes. When we checked out, the general manager was there and he was sincerely interested in our stay. We really liked it a lot.
Nothing fancy, but it was perfect for us.

Room Tip: I recommend the fourth floor. There are only four, and this way you have no one on top of you. Th...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the wonderful review of our hotel. You certainly gave a detailed overview. It is always nice to see the staff recognized for their hard work and dedication as hospitality professionals! We have a great team here and I am very proud to work with them. We certainly look forward to your return should you make the long trip back to Alaska.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Wouldn't go back to this hotel again. Terrible location, annoying and very unhelpful staff. Raising your voice 10 octives to give you a fake apology doesn't help a situation. Wouldn't bother going again.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
embassyanch, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Please accept my most sincere apologies for your unhappiness with our staff. Although not familiar with your concerns, I am disappointed to know we failed to provide you with the guest experience you had anticipated. Providing our guests with the finest accommodations and personal service is our mission and I regret that we fell short of this goal. I am sorry that your stay went poorly and ask for your forgiveness.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Clean comfortable rooms, excellent beds, great tvs and channel selection, very good breakfast and very friendly and pleasant staff. Well deserved number 1 ranking on trip advisor. Would gladly stay here again.

Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the vote of confidence and that we lived up to your high expectations. We hope that you return in the future.
New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

We booked this hotel last minute after a scheduling "glitch" and when we finally found it, couldn't have been happier. (Anchorage is a fairly unique place to navigate your way around with many one way streets) From the exterior, as with many places in Alaska we found, it looks fairly ordinary and boring but when you step through the doors into the soaring reception area, you can't help but be impressed. Our arrival was handled smoothly and we were very pleased to learn that a welcome drink and breakfast was included in the tariff. We were even more impressed when we walked into our room and realised the size of the suite. Decor was a little dark and "clubbish" for my personal taste but there was absolutely nothing to complain about.
We dined in the restaurant and the meals were OK for a large chain hotel. Breakfast was similar but nothing was awful. We had actually been recommended this hotel by our previous hosts and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone needing to stay in Anchorage.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the carpark rather than the road. May be a bit quieter???
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tez823
embassyanch, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you very much for your review and for pointing out the value that is included with your room at the Embassy Suites. Many guests are pleasantly suprised when they walk into the hotel that the lobby and ambiance is far above what they expected. We hope to welcome you back.