“OH NO! DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Anchorage Suite Lodge
Ranked #70 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were unfortunate to have booked through an agency this horrific hotel. I travel for a living, and am NOT a Hotel Snob, but this was just a disgusting, dirty, unkept property. The staff has a LOT of trouble understanding English, and they were unhelpful at every level.

We arrived in the middle of the night (flights to Anchorage are at weird hours) and my wife and I were exhausted, we would have stayed ALMOST anywhere!

Checking in was time consuming as it took a long time for someone to come to the front desk. They gave us a room on the third floor, and we could NOT believe that the only way to get there is STAIRS. We hauled our bags up the stairs, careful not to touch the dirty, grimy handrail on the way up, and entered the room. All around the ceiling perimeter is Orange PVC Pipe that was connected to something that must have been their sprinkler/fire system. The bathroom vanity had 5 light bulb outlets and only 2 had bulbs in them. The bed looked like it had already been sat/slept on, right when we walked in! It was beyond gross. The tub was dirty, and there was NO SHOWER CURTAIN, so you either take a bath, or let water run ALL over the floor, which is what most people must do, because the floor was covered in beige nasty water stains.

We tried to talk with the staff, but they did not understand and we finally just gave up, and went inside this horrible room and slept. We woke up early and checked out, touching as little as possible along the way. We wound up finding a room at the Microtel for the rest of our trip.

When I got home, my credit card had been charged for THE TWO NIGHTS!

THESE PEOPLE ARE THIEVES AND YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE THEM ANY ABILITY TO CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THIS PROPERTY AND AGREE THAT IT IS SUITABLE. I don't know how anyone could, but if you are able to tolerate filth, and disrepair and possible safety issues, more the power to you!

THIS HOTEL SHOULD BE MONITORED BY AUTHORITIES AND SHUT DOWN OR FORCED TO CLEAN UP THEIR ACT!

And I want my money back for the night I did not even stay there!

Room Tip: Change your mind and book a budget chain hotel instead! It's not worth the few dollars you will...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Lynette D

Reviewed 24 September 2012

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed at! My husband, our kid and I stayed there for a month and the room was very expensive 1300 per month and the room was a complete dump! The furniture was very very old and beat up as well as the kitchen appliances. The king size bed frame was so old we had to put the mattress on the floor just to sleep. The neighborhood sucks. The room was stinky and dirty. The blankets and linens looked to be about 20 years old and the pillows were hard as rocks. This is not a place of business the owners get their money out of robbing their customers. I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone...

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank Truth_B_Told907
Reviewed 20 July 2012

FIRST OF ALL...THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY HONEST REVIEW. We had no Idea what we were getting into. Most of the hotels on the east side of C street on 15th are homeless shelters. We naively went through a booking agent that obviously hadn't done any thorough research with this hotel. When we got there and took a look at the room....we said fraud. The rooms looked NOTHING like the pictures online. There was pesticide powder sprinkled all around the floor. It smelled very bad. The sheets were put directly over a plastic mattress cover. We tried to get out of our four night commitment but he showed us on the print out that "All cancellations are 100 % Non-refundable". We were ready to go to what ever city authority that handled uninhabitable hotels until he agreed to let us stay only two nights. We went to Motel 8 and found much better accommodations for not much more per night. The manager doesn't have a clue on how to run a hotel. We got pictures of everything so that we can forward them to the Anchorage authorities. The microwave didn't work well. It scorched our popcorn. We expected that someone might come in and make our beds, but that didn't happen. We don't care that the people of Alaska only have four months out of the year that they can make money off of the tourists. BE PREPARED to pay almost double for everything in Alaska. On a positive note, if you get to go on the trolley tour downtown, there is one tour guide that knew some great stories and made the ride very interesting and funny. She is a retired school teacher and has lived in Anchorage her whole life. Don't miss it. All of the other restaurants, tour guides and services bent over backwards to help and make our trip enjoyable and comfortable.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay there, stay in the third floor rooms not on the homeless shelter floors. Be pr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Debbie S
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed there two weeks ago for a total of three nights - room was dirty - Dirt sitting on top of all room heaters - bath base was worn out - room not cleaned during two night stay - bites on my grandson's neck were probably bed bugs not mosquito as originally thought having since read other comments. No breakfast offered as advertised - no airport shuttle as advertised - booked through Expedia - called them to complain but they were only able to offer a credit towards a future booking rather than fix any of the problems. Avoid this place like the plague and shame on Expedia for listing it!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Kediton
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We booked the room for a month, and it was the worst in my life! My friend bed was full of bugs, that's why we had to sleep in clothes, no housekeeping (really any help, even bed clothes we had to wash by ourselves). If you ask manager for something, he will make a view that he make a great favor for you, and you will be owes him your life !

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Whitedp23
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I booked this hotel through Orbitz. I contacted the hotel, and spoke with the Female who runs the front desk/owner a week prior to my stay. I informed her that I would only need the room for two nights instead of the three nights I had booked. She assured me that this wasn't a problem and that she would adjust the reservation. I arrived at the hotel to check in, and she had already charged my credit card as a no show for the three days. She then refused to reverse the charges, and only charge me for the two days. Do not stay at this place they are thieves, and the hotel conditions are absolutely horrible. The Asian Female and her Husband are also never at the front desk, so good luck checking in and out without waiting forever. This is the worst hotel ever! Stay away from this place.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank bforsyth
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I booked a month at this place trying to save a couple of bucks, worst mistake of my life. it didn't look al that bad at first glance, but don't be fooled this place is the worst. I woke up one morning about a week into my stay to several bites all over my entire body. tried to go tell the guy at the front desk but there was nobody there as was the norm in that place. tried calling the hotel number and got no response. went on with my day, didn't think much of the situation and ended up sleeping there again that night as i could not get ahold of anybody from the hotel nor was anybody ever at the front desk when i was there. (i knew nothing about bedbugs at the time otherwise i would not have slept there another night) Woke up the next morning to more bites, found a bug in my bed and killed it in a napkin which i kept. nobody at the desk in the morning, went on with my day, and finally at around 2pm that day i was able to catch someone at the desk. i showed him the bud i killed and his response was "thats not a bedbug". i showed him the bites on just my arms (i had them literally all over my entire body at this point) and he told me he could bug bomb my room but i would have to leave for 2 hours. I did just that and when i got back around 5pm i walked into my room and i could barely breathe because of the chemicals he had just put in there. also, i lifted up the pillow on my bed and found a bug. kept this one alive in a ziplock and took it to the front desk. There was a woman there this time. She admitted that this was a bedbug. I was thoroughly disgusted at this point and demanded a refund for the remainder of my time there which was promptly refused. I told them that i cant sleep in my room because the chemicals were so strong that it burns when i breathe in. i asked to at least be put in a different room and she said that all the monthly rate rooms were full. I said put me in a different one and she said that this was not possible. She actually recommended to me that i go stay at a friend's house for a couple of days until the chemicals settle down. are you kidding me? if i had a friend's house to stay at i would not be here in the first place. I am not from anchorage and i do not know anyone here that is why I'm staying at this place. So in a nutshell, i had a bug problem, they turned my room into a hazardous chemical zone, and refused to move me to a different room, pay for me to stay somewhere else for a couple nights, or give me a refund for the remainder of my time there. i ended up leaving anyways without my refund. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! it is the worst place i have ever slept and the staff are the rudest most disrespectful people i have ever met. I kept my review brief but believe me, i tried everything to get a refund. i went back and forth with them for hours. They have no sense of common decency or respect for other individuals.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo