Historic Anchorage Hotel
Lakeshore Inn & Suites(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$128
Anchorage Grand Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$245
QualityInn
US$203
Hotel Alyeska(Girdwood)(Great Value!)
US$210
Best Western Golden Lion Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$144
BestWestern.com
All reviewsgreat locationmake your own waffleshard boiled eggsstreet noisewithin walking distancecontinental breakfasttrain stationsmall hotelyogurtchain hotelsglacier brewhousedowntown areaquiet roomwould definitely stay here againcorner roomcentral locationjunior suite
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Wouldn't stay again unless I got a suite on the 3rd (top) floor. We were on the 2nd floor and the noise from the room above us was the worst I've ever experienced. We could hear every step they took and every noise from their room. When they walked across the floor, it sounded like an elephant was going to come through our ceiling.

Hotel was clean, beds were comfortable, room and bath were small but adequate, good location (downtown, close to everything), parking is $10/day extra and is in a parking lot about a block's walk from the hotel. Staff was friendly. Didn't use the restaurant. Except for the noise issue, an adequate, older, unremarkable hotel. .

Room Tip: Would not stay again unless I was on the top (3rd) floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
2  Thank elhor
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Close to shopping, and I really enjoyed the restored look , especially the lobby. I spent some time by the fireplace. And the Belgian waffles at the breakfast buffet are a nice treat.
All the employees were warm, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Paddlintutu
Reviewed 19 December 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This hotel was in a very good location, easy travel from the train station, easy access to all of downtown. The fact that this was not a cookie cutter place was very appealing to us. The rooms were nice as was the breakfast.

Prior to booking I'd read a review complaining about the noise. For some reason I assumed that those people were overly sensitive and did not heed their warning. The word "Historic" in the name of this hotel means historic, as in no air conditioning. As a result we needed the windows open during our stay in late June. Unfortunately this subjected us to the "Rum Runners" nightclub across the intersection from the hotel. We heard every song, every reveler, and every argument had by every over-served patron. It went on until 3 AM.

I'm pretty sure I paid $100 for each hour of sleep I got that night. The hotel desk informed me that the nightclub was not allowed to keep it's doors open that late into the night. Apparently nobody told the management over at Rum Runners.

This place would be a fine choice assuming the temperature of the day never exceeds 50*F, and you're staying Sun-Wed. I wouldn't stay here on a Thu-Fri-Sat any time of the year.

Room Tip: Try to get one without a window.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean D
HistoricAnchorage, General Manager at Historic Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Jean D,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us last June. We are happy to hear you like our central downtown location and find us very appealing. I am sorry to hear about your lack of sleep due to the bar across the street.
It is with pleasure to tell you "Rumrunners" has lost their liquor license as of January 1, 2013.
We hope that you will reconsider staying with us again on your next visit to Alaska.
Again, thank you for the feedback.
Warmest regards,
Terri L Russi

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Very friendly staff, and lovely little hotel. Nice continental breakfast (amazing coffee!) and you could make your own waffles. Perfect location in the heart of downtown and walking distance to shopping, restaurants and sightseeing. Only 2 negatives--The bed was a smidge hard for my liking (although the linens were good quality) and the room got somewhat stuffy overnight, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Will definitely stay again when I am travelling to Anchorage.

Room Tip: If you are looking to get some really good sleep, and are a light sleeper, stay on the 3rd floor, as the clubs in the area can get loud at closing time. I stayed on the 2nd floor, and heard a little commotion outside but not too bad.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LittleDeeBee27
HistoricAnchorage, General Manager at Historic Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear LittleDeeBee27
We certainly appreciate your wonderful feedback and your valuable business. We will look into the bed situation and the stuffiness in the room you occupied. Our steam heat has individual thermostats on the radiators to control the heat. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast and our central downtown location. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Warmest regards,