“Loved this place!”

Historic Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have walked by this hotel over the years and vowed I would stay here one day. The bay window with winged chairs with the chess game and the historic setting were big draws. Love this historical hotel with it's ghosts, charming rooms, cleanliness, and the spiritual presence of Sidney Lawrence, Alaskan artist.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sara I
HistoricAnchorage, General Manager at Historic Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Dear Sara I,
Thank you for staying with us! We are pleased you found the Hotel charming, clean and found the spiritual presence of Sydney Laurence. ( He had an apartment on the third floor) Hope to hear you had the time to sit in one of the winged chairs and play a game of chess. We look forward to your return visit. Thank you again!
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Really large comfortable rooms, more like a small apartment! Very nicely furnished and the bottle of sparkling apple cider was a nice touch. The hotel has such a rich history and with all the pictures, memorabilia and books too look at you get a sense of just how important this hotel was to early Anchorage. It made me almost hope to experience one of the ghosts that are said to roam the halls but nah, had a restful night. One thing I would highly suggest is if you are new to Anchorage I would take the carriage ride, we had a great ride but would pass on the Orso's dinner next time. The Orso dinner was OK but the service was horrible!

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side have a better view, West side gives you a view of roofs of the other building...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan Y

Dear Dan Y
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. You are right, the Historic Anchorage Hotel does have a rich history and is a very important part of early Anchorage! We are happy you had a restful night and enjoyed the Horse Drawn Carriage ride. We will share your comments with ORSO's. Thank you again, we look forward to hosting you again.
All the best,

Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I did the Night on the Town package. Very welcoming staff, we stayed in suite 304 very nice with a chilled bottle of sparkling cider ready. Room was spacious very comfortable bed(loved the coverlet on the bed) plenty of towels in bathroom and even had a little ghostly experience. Woke up from husband snoring and I heard my phone shuffle on the table on my side of bed. It wasn't a vibrate from any sort of notification on my phone or I would have heard the tone it makes or noticed a glow from the light up like it does. I had my back to the noise and was too afraid to turn towards the noise thinking I might see a ghost. All in all though it was a wonderful overnight stay with the horse and carriage ride to dinner as well as a ride around Anchorage. 60.00 off certificate for ORSOs restaurant also included in package. Laura K. Wasilla,AK

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LauraK1965

Dear Laura K
We are pleased to hear you found the staff very welcoming, the room spacious and the bed comfortable. We are glad you had a wonderful "Night on the Town" package with us. Thank you for sharing your "phone story" , we will add to our ghostly encounters log. We look forward to hosting you and your husband again in the future.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed for three nights on the third floor facing the street. The room was large quite and comfortable. The bathroom is rather small with little space to place your personal items. Another shelf would help. The room showed slight signs of wear but cosmetic only (separated drywall on ceiling-desk chair loose and shaky). The breakfast was included and was good and consisted of waffles, cereal and fruit. Internet was iffy at best but the staff had an IT guy working on it. Very convenient location to all the attractions in downtown.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GWandCD
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The Historic Anchorage Hotel is the ONLY lodging in Anchorage that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a beautifully restored property and a very pleasant place to stay.

We are locals and stayed in room 301 in March, 2013 for a special occasion. The room is a large, lovely corner suite with big windows and a great view of downtown Anchorage. Inside, it has everything you need: two double beds, a large couch, two comfortable chairs, coffee table & end tables, a desk, a refrigerator, cupboards with cups and glasses, a coffee maker, and lots of floor space. We would like to thank the hotel management for donating a gift certificate which we bought at a charity auction and used for this stay. They could have given us a small room, but we got a suite!

If you are a light sleeper, be aware that this is an old building and therefore the walls are thin. Folks have mentioned noise from the bar across the street. I am happy to report that the bar is now closed down. Anchorage is a happenin' place, especially in the summer months, and at Iditarod and Fur Rendezvous time. New York isn't the only city that never sleeps! Bring earplugs.

Other reviews have mentioned hearing the commentary from the Ghost Tours of Anchorage taking place in front of the hotel on summer evenings. Yes, you can hear voices on the street from your room. Go ahead and listen in! It is a fascinating tour. (Or better yet, take the tour. It is really a history tour - nevermind the ghosts, I learned a lot about my city that I didn't know after living here for my entire life!).

You need only step out the front door to experience all that Anchorage has to offer. Within walking distance are the fine arts/historical museum, performing arts center, dozens of shops and restaurants, the beautiful coastal trail for walking/biking/skiing, veterans museum, Balto sled dog statue, and much more.

Unlike many older buildings, this one has an elevator.

The breakfast is good (bagels, cereal, fruit, juice/coffee/tea, and a wafflemaker) and is served in the old bar area, which is the oldest part of the building.

Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Top floor is likely to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarvinAnchorage
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in many hotels and this the only one I would say was exceptional. The hotel is a registered historic landmark and purported to be haunted. The place has been nicely restored, the staff were very friendly, and the included breakfast was above average. Although we saw no ghosts we would definitely stay here again. If you are looking for a place to stay,in Anchorage ,that is a bit out of the ordinary this would be a good choice.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Jvmorrone
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This hotel is absolutely great - and HAUNTED!
A must be on Anchorage.
The only thing that made me not rate as 5 green dots, was there's no restaurant. The bar is just for breakfast and is "dead" at the afternoons and nights. It should be at least a cafe shop in that historical and beautiful saloon.

The staff are great - honest - funny - chatty - very friendly people and I'll never forget them. Hope to come back soon and stay at the very same hotel!

Room Tip: If you're trying to achieve a spooky stay - probably you're gonna get it there. Room 202 ha...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business